Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Training and Bonding

Notices

Training and Bonding Training your budgie can be quite a feat. Let us help you get through the training and bonding process.

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2012, 05:06 PM
harry9991
Egg

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
harry9991 is on a distinguished road
Default Where to go now?

I have two budgies who will do practically anything for a bit o' millet or coriander. I'll just tell you what I can do with my budgies and hope you guys have some suggestions as to where I progress from here.
Currently, they aren't scared of my hands that much but will fluff up and maybe move backwards if they see it coming. If I have a bit of coriander in my hands, Sky will hop up almost instantly onto the available finger whilst my other one(Blue) will find an alternative such as doing the splits with one leg on the hand and other on the cage and will nibble on the coriander or move down the cage and find a spot where he can eat a bit. Occasionally, if I hold my hand on their cage for long enough, they'll put one leg on and begin nibbling at it.

They currently get put to bed by me if I let them out because they stay on top of the cage until it's dark outside and then I cup them up in my hands (surprisingly with no retaliation) and put them in their cage where they hop up onto the nearest perch and find their favourite natural wood perch and fall asleep whilst grinding their beaks.

That's about as much as I can achieve with them and don't know how to progress to a stage where food is no longer required for them to hop on my hand. Any suggestions?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 05:57 PM
Cerulean (Debbie)
Budgie
State:

Cerulean is a name known to allCerulean is a name known to allCerulean is a name known to allCerulean is a name known to allCerulean is a name known to allCerulean is a name known to all

Hold the coriander or millet just out of reach so that they had to step up to get to it. Believe it or not, having them put one foot on your finger or hand is a huge step, so the next one -- stepping up all the way -- is usually fairly easy. Once one steps up and gets the treat, the other budgie is likely to do the same. It may take him a few more days, but he'll do it when he sees that the other is perfectly content on a finger.

I think you'll want both to step up before you attempt to move one or both out of the cage. That, too, has to be done slowly. When they are munching, move your hand slowly toward the cage door. You'll feel them tense. Stop there, and wait. The next time, try to get a bit further.

My budgie Harley took a looooong time to step up with millet. He chose to put his whole body across the palm of my hand, with both feet firmly attached to the perch, rather than step up. I mean, he was stretched out in my palm, with all his weight held by it, but he wouldn't let go. Eventually, he did it, though.

In general, I think it's better to give verbal praise rather than treats when training because I found that each progressive step is made more difficult. If a stubborn budgie can find a way to get the treat without doing what you want, he will. It's much better to have them WANT to step up to be closer to you. That said, some budgies (like Harley) simply will not respond to praise until they are fully tame. You'll have to trust your instincts about how to progress.

Thanks to budgielover14 for the sig!

Old 05-30-2012, 06:24 PM
frenchie (Gabrielle)
Deactivated Account

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Newbie
Gallery: 9
frenchie is a name known to allfrenchie is a name known to allfrenchie is a name known to allfrenchie is a name known to allfrenchie is a name known to allfrenchie is a name known to all

You are farther along then me. We let Charlie come out but use a stick under his belly to bring him back in. My other birds are wild.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:06 PM
harry9991
Egg

harry9991 is on a distinguished road

Good news, everybody! I've got new info to add to this... My budgies now can fly to my hand, regardless of whether I have food on it or not.. The trouble is keeping them there, most of the time they play fight each other whilst on there, other times, they just lose attention in my hand and go back to their cage.

Any ideas on how to keep them entertained whilst on my hand? I don't want 'em to think it's boring on there.

Closed Thread