Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > General Budgie Talk

Notices

General Budgie Talk Chat about general budgie stuff here.

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2012, 06:40 AM
DamonsMaster (Janna)
Hatchling

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Newbie
Gallery: 1
DamonsMaster will become famous soon enoughDamonsMaster will become famous soon enough
Question Budgie lost his tail

Hi to all on Talk Budgies. Is it normal for a budgie to lose his long tail feathers.? My Damon had a beautiful long tail yesterday, and today, his long tail feathers just fell out. He didn't catch them in anything - they just came out. Now he has a tiny little tail which cannot really be called a tail at all. Is he likely to get a long tail again? I really hope those feathers will grow back. He does seem to be starting a moult because a few feathers fall off him when he shakes and fluffs himself up, but they are only little ones. Thanks for your help, Janna.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-28-2012, 08:07 AM
crazybudgies
Egg

Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 4
crazybudgies is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

No Janna, I dont think that he should lose all his long tail feathers in one molt at one time.Maybe a vet visit is the best thing

Old 04-28-2012, 08:27 AM
ronsig (Sigrid)
Member of the Month
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 20
ronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond reputeronsig has a reputation beyond repute

They should not lose both tail feathers at once.
But when I got my Tweety, he had no tail feathers. He was caught outside and I thought he lost the feathers when caught.
The tail grew back but when he molted, both fell out again.
They grew back again. Now when he molts just one falls out at a time.
So, maybe it does happen sometime.

Sigrid

Old 04-28-2012, 08:32 AM
Charis
Member of the Month

Number of Budgies: 1/4
Gallery: 0
Charis has much to be proud ofCharis has much to be proud ofCharis has much to be proud ofCharis has much to be proud ofCharis has much to be proud ofCharis has much to be proud ofCharis has much to be proud ofCharis has much to be proud of

No. Generally they loose one tail feather at a time (and so always appear to have a tail). If he has any other symptoms I would take him to the vet as loosing that many feathers at once is not normal.
If there is nothing wrong and it was a fluke - they will most likely grow back in if they fell out as part of molt currently or the next time he molts if he is not currently molting.

Old 04-28-2012, 09:52 AM
moeed_eng
Hatchling

moeed_eng is on a distinguished road

Your bird is moulting and this is a normal process in a birds life.it will loose quite a lot more feathers during moulting and it only takes 2-3 weeks for them to be replaced,

Make sure your bird gets some greens such as Broccoli, Kale, Pac Choi, or if possible some Dandelion leaves and seeding heads,not forgetting Cuttle bone.

These will all help it through the moulting process.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:07 AM
DamonsMaster (Janna)
Hatchling

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Newbie
Gallery: 1
DamonsMaster will become famous soon enoughDamonsMaster will become famous soon enough

Thank you crazybudgies, Sigrid, Charis and moeed eng for your prompt replies. Damon appears fine. He's been talking away to me all evening and helping me with a Legal Studies assessment.I have been watching him really closely and he is losing a few feathers.I will watch him tomorrow (Sunday) and see what he is like and if I am at all uneasy, he'll be off to the vet on Monday.He always has fresh greens twice a day, so I'll continue with those.Gosh, he does look odd with no tail. Anyway, thanks for all your advice.It's much appreciated as I was so worried. Take care,......Janna.

Old 04-28-2012, 11:07 AM
stevie_wease (Stevie)
Young Budgie
State:

Gallery: 8
stevie_wease is on a distinguished road

My budgie lost her whole tail over night and everyone on here told me she probably got spooked during the night and it was nothing to worry about , does he seem healthy as usual or is he acting differently?

Old 04-28-2012, 09:26 PM
LittleFeatheredFriends (Alexis)
Older Budgie

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
LittleFeatheredFriends deserves every one of these pointsLittleFeatheredFriends deserves every one of these pointsLittleFeatheredFriends deserves every one of these pointsLittleFeatheredFriends deserves every one of these pointsLittleFeatheredFriends deserves every one of these pointsLittleFeatheredFriends deserves every one of these pointsLittleFeatheredFriends deserves every one of these pointsLittleFeatheredFriends deserves every one of these points

Belle lost both her tail feathers a few wees after I got her, and they grew back just fine. She is koulting now but has not lost them again.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:17 PM
Keets4Ever (Will)
Member of the Month

State:

Gallery: 18
Keets4Ever deserves every one of these pointsKeets4Ever deserves every one of these pointsKeets4Ever deserves every one of these pointsKeets4Ever deserves every one of these pointsKeets4Ever deserves every one of these pointsKeets4Ever deserves every one of these pointsKeets4Ever deserves every one of these points

Sapphire lost both her tail feathers at the same time during her molt and had no tail for a short while. But they did grow back in and she is fine.

Visit my Face Book Page at http://www.facebook.com/katnissfan

Favorite quote - Katniss’ father used to always say “You'll never starve as long as you find yourself.” He was referring to the edible plant that grows in ponds for which she was named after.

Old 04-28-2012, 10:31 PM
ParrotletsRock
Budgie

Number of Budgies: 6
ParrotletsRock has much to be proud ofParrotletsRock has much to be proud ofParrotletsRock has much to be proud ofParrotletsRock has much to be proud ofParrotletsRock has much to be proud ofParrotletsRock has much to be proud ofParrotletsRock has much to be proud ofParrotletsRock has much to be proud of

Unless there are other symptoms I would not be alarmed if my moulting budgie lost both tail feathers at once... it happens.

Closed Thread