Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > General Budgie Talk > Budgie Behavior

Notices

Budgie Behavior Wondering about why your budgie behaves in certain ways? Talk about it here!
Thread Description:HOW NATURAL LIGHT PLAYS A PART

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 01-07-2012, 02:42 PM
NanaLucy129 (Lucy)
Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 0
NanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic person
Default Budgie sad

Hi everyone. Have a few minutes between loads of laundry(you know that boring weekend job). I have had Sunny for one month and five days. Most of the time he is quiet and doesn't seem to be interested in toys foods introduced to him etc. Have been observing this and then it dawned on me...Wisconsin has a state color in the winter (GREY)HA..And the sun pops out occasionally. On the days it is bright and Sunny my Sunny is a lot more active and chipper. I think he suffers from SAD Season Affective Disease. One of the reasons I named him Sunny Boy was that he was my little ray of sunshine during this time of the year. Although I can't complain, as we have so far had the warmest winter in years and no snow.

But I do realize that I need to get an Avian light. I have checked out the one on Drs. Foster and Smith, but it looks really flimsy and not worth the price they are asking.

What I would like to know from your past eperience is can you use a regular long arm floor lamp with just an avian bulb in it?? I am watching craigs list and second hand stores for one. Like a brass one with some weight to it so as not to tip.

Anyone have any ideas? Thanks, and Sunny will thank you too.

From Sunny and the Island Budgies

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-07-2012, 03:14 PM
jane1888 (jane)
Supporting Member
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 3
jane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admiration

do you spend a lot of time with him nanalucy??? it might be that he needs stimulated with more company be it either human or better a budgie companion

thank you vicky for the awesome siggi

Old 01-07-2012, 05:45 PM
SusanBudgies (Susan)
Member of the Month Apr11
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
SusanBudgies has much to be proud ofSusanBudgies has much to be proud ofSusanBudgies has much to be proud ofSusanBudgies has much to be proud ofSusanBudgies has much to be proud ofSusanBudgies has much to be proud ofSusanBudgies has much to be proud ofSusanBudgies has much to be proud ofSusanBudgies has much to be proud of

He might be quiet because he needs more stimulation (noise). Where is he housed? Is he alone a lot?

Please post some pictures of him and his cage set-up.

Old 01-07-2012, 05:56 PM
furandfeathers
Baby Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
furandfeathers has a spectacular aura aboutfurandfeathers has a spectacular aura aboutfurandfeathers has a spectacular aura about

Nothing could be greyer than a Canadian winter where we are but my guys chirp their heads off. I have music and regular lights on all the time. Maybe little Sunny needs a little music therapy? I'm no expert, but I bet an avian light is more a scam than a necessity. I wonder if regular light would work just as well .

Old 01-07-2012, 06:06 PM
louara (& gracie-mae)
Veteran Budgie
State:

Number of Budgies: one
Gallery: 7
louara has a reputation beyond reputelouara has a reputation beyond reputelouara has a reputation beyond reputelouara has a reputation beyond reputelouara has a reputation beyond reputelouara has a reputation beyond reputelouara has a reputation beyond reputelouara has a reputation beyond reputelouara has a reputation beyond reputelouara has a reputation beyond reputelouara has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,
It's very grey and dark here too. Leave the blinds drawn open. Any natural light, even if it's cloudy outside will help. Regular light bulbs are fine to use. Can you leave a TV or radio on as well? I think he needs sound and light stimulation.

"all we are saying, is give peace a chance"-plastic ono band-montreal 1969

Old 01-07-2012, 06:19 PM
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator

State:

FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute

I agree with the other posters. Natural light is great if you can put his cage near the window. On gray days I always turn the regular lights on in my birds' room and I always have music playing for them during the day.
I think both the light and music help the budgies' activity level and mood.

Old 01-07-2012, 10:11 PM
NanaLucy129 (Lucy)
Budgie
State:

NanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic personNanaLucy129 is a fantastic person
Default Thanks for the info!

Sorry it took so long to get back on TB, but decided to clean Sunny's cage (long story) and then went to church.

Sunny has more than enough attention from me. He is taking a long time to get over being fearful of my HAND. The guy that got him out of his cage traumatized him, I think.

To make a long story short is he gets excited now and then and chatters and calls me when I get on the computer etc. Today the sun was pretty good so took advantage of his chipper behavior.

Now I feel guilty! I very gently took him out of his cage to put him into the other little carrier thingee and the little squirmy bird got loose and was flying into walls and doors and finally the mirror in the bathroom and landed in the sink where I was able to pick him up...he actually was glad I had him I think. I pray he didn't hit anything too hard as he doesn't look hurt, but scared only. Once I had him held correctly he settled down and allowed me to pet his head and cut his toenails before putting him in the carrier. He tried to bite me, but only softly (he was being gentle as I know how a real bite feels..poor baby!

Cage all clean, Sunny back in and toys arranged etc and he seems happy again. Chattered with me andsat in his swing for some time. He went to bed around 8-8:30 pm his regular time. Now....I hope he will be alright in the morning. Gave him lots of praise and treat when he was settled and he munched away on it.

What a stressful day it turned out to be for both of us. He is like my baby and I don't know what I'd do without him now.

Sorry for the long story, but needed to write about it. Don't know who was more shook up, him or me!

Old 01-07-2012, 10:25 PM
eduardo (Dee)
Animal Enthusiast

State:

eduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond repute

I think Sunny is very lucky to have you! You obviously love him very much and try to do what is best for him. Don't worry, my birds hit walls and such many times, and they are fine. They learn the boundaries the more they fly around the room. They are all now great fliers and know exactly where they can go, with occasional accidental trip to another room
I live in Charleston, SC and we have great weather for the majority of the year. My guys chirp like crazy all day long, but I did notice that there was a rainy, gloomy day once and they spent it quietly.
How long have you had Sunny?

Old 01-07-2012, 11:21 PM
NanaLucy129 (Lucy)
Budgie
State:

He's just a baby yet. One month and five days! Since coming from the store. They said he was four months.

I am retirement age but do work part time. Three days one week and two days the next with six off in between. Really not a bad schedule.

He is very in tune with me. He knows when I get ready to go somewhere and chirps until I talk with him and then when he sees me get my jacket he watches me like a hawk...always say goodbye to him and have listened by the door to see if he squawks, but doesn't. Is glad when I turn the key in the door and greets me with his chirps and whistles.

Last edited by NanaLucy129; 01-07-2012 at 11:23 PM. Reason: clarify

Old 01-08-2012, 12:54 AM
NanaLucy129 (Lucy)
Budgie
State:

Well, due to this input, I will save my money and invest in a larger cage ie flight cage for him. I'd like to put him by the window but fear drafts if it turns cold and it's a South window so direct sun comes in.

Closed Thread