Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > General Budgie Talk

Notices

General Budgie Talk Chat about general budgie stuff here.
Thread Description:Rashu (Winter's owner) would you mind adding your thoughts??

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 01-02-2012, 10:46 AM
SouthernFried (Tiffanie)
Budgie

State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 0
SouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic person
Question Solitary Keeping May Not Be Right for Lasso

Lately I have been contemplating adopting a second budgie. I hesitate because I want to keep Lasso all for myself and have him extremely tame, but at the same time I feel as though I am being selfish. I think Lasso may be happier with a budgie friend than he is now, even though I talk to him and give him treats all the time.

I tried playing some budgie sounds to him the other day and he perked up so quickly and stood tall and chirped away. That is what really got me thinking.

I know that a couple of members have two or more budgies that are somewhat tame (will jump onto finger and fly to be with you) which would make me happy to have. I realize he will not be tame like I wanted, but I think that adding another would make him truly content.

One of my other reservations is his talking. He is getting so close to speaking and I worry that if I add another budgie he just will not make it to the real talking. However, I know someone on here (Rashu, I think) has Winter and another budgie and Winter talks and they both seem fairly tame. So, maybe Lasso could still talk and like me?

What do y'all have to say? I am interested in hearing everyone's opinions on both sides of the subject.

I have already purchased a second cage for quarantining and some extra toys because they were such a good price over the holidays. Now I just need to make a decision. I am hoping I will be capable of making the right decision with a little help from all of you.

My mini haul that I added to my cart so "I could get free shipping on the second cage."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-02-2012, 12:10 PM
jane1888 (jane)
Supporting Member
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 3
jane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admirationjane1888 is worthy of great admiration

tiffanie i think another budgie would be good for lasso you could hand tame both of them and i think lasso would still talk i might be wrong but i am sure iread once they start talking they continue ??? its up to you my friend as you are the one who has to care for the bird keep us posted

thank you vicky for the awesome siggi

Old 01-02-2012, 12:20 PM
eduardo (Dee)
Animal Enthusiast

State:

eduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond repute

Tiffanie, I think you have already decided, haven't you? - buying a second cage and all
Here is my two cents: if Lasso could tell you his preference, what do you think his answer to this would be? Lasso, would you like a budgie friend?
I am a big believer that birds thrive as part of their own flock. I do not judge anyone, there are many reasons why people keep single birds, many of them would probably like to have more, but it costs money and they may not have space and all.
However, I personally feel that my birds are happier when in pairs or bunches. I have four budgies and they are very playful and happy together, though not particulary tame with me.
I also have two tiels, I got one first - very tame and bonded to me, but I cannot replace one of her own kind, so I got her a friend. She is not alone now, and she is still tame and loves to cuddle with me.
So, I would say, forget what you want from Lasso, give Lasso what he would want - a budgie friend!

Dee's Flock : Candy, Tony, and Eddie

Old 01-02-2012, 02:41 PM
Cerulean (Debbie)
Budgie
State:

Cerulean is a glorious beacon of lightCerulean is a glorious beacon of lightCerulean is a glorious beacon of lightCerulean is a glorious beacon of lightCerulean is a glorious beacon of lightCerulean is a glorious beacon of light

I'm the lone voice (or, rather, one of the few) who prefers to have a single budgie as a companion. My single budgies have been VERY happy once they bonded to the family, but we also gave them lots of attention. (I have a home office, so I'm home most days.) Because they are social animals, they can be demanding. You have to be willing and able to give back. Dogs are pack animals, and most people adopt only one at a time. Budgies are similar -- they're born wanting to be with their own kind, but they adapt (usually) quite readily to a human "flock."

That said, unless my newest budgie bonds to us within the next six months (he is proving to be exceptionally wild), I may get him a companion, just because he needs to bond to someone, whether human or bird. I want to make sure he lives a happy life.

Old 01-02-2012, 03:54 PM
Welli Germany97 (Amaya)
Baby Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 11
Welli Germany97 has a spectacular aura aboutWelli Germany97 has a spectacular aura about

No single budgie is really happy, like no human alone is happy.
So it's good to buy a second budgie.

Old 01-02-2012, 04:20 PM
AnimalLuver (Shivani)
♥MOTM December 2011♥
State:

AnimalLuver has much to be proud ofAnimalLuver has much to be proud ofAnimalLuver has much to be proud ofAnimalLuver has much to be proud ofAnimalLuver has much to be proud ofAnimalLuver has much to be proud ofAnimalLuver has much to be proud ofAnimalLuver has much to be proud ofAnimalLuver has much to be proud of

I like this thread since there are so many opinions
I have a single budgie who is happier then ever I sometimes take him to the bird shop where I volunteer and here's the truth- he's kinda scared of other budgies He hoped out of his travel cage, stared at them, chirped an went back in lol Maybe one day I might get him a budgie friend. He is soooo tame and loves people, and thinks he's a human- trying to eat my dinner and all I think single budgies can be just as happy as a flock if you give them enough love and attention
I you were to get another budgie then get one thats handfed

Old 01-02-2012, 04:45 PM
Cerulean (Debbie)
Budgie
State:

Cerulean is a glorious beacon of lightCerulean is a glorious beacon of lightCerulean is a glorious beacon of lightCerulean is a glorious beacon of lightCerulean is a glorious beacon of lightCerulean is a glorious beacon of light

Flying free is not the same as having more than one budgie, of course. You can let a single budgie fly to where he wants to go, as long as it's safe.

I know someone who has two wild budgies. The budgies are not allowed out of their cage because they are not tame. Are they happier as a pair than a single budgie who interacts with humans out of his cage? I don't know. Neither probably knows any different since their lives have been defined that way since they were young.

Obviously, there are many different opinions. My point above is that few people complain about a single dog bonded to his family; I don't see a single, bonded budgie as being any different. There are MANY instances of inter-species bonding: a gorilla and a cat; an elephant and a dog; a budgie and a guinea pig. Some of these examples have the option of companionship with their own species and instead choose a companion from another.

You could successfully argue that people should not keep any kind of animal as a companion. But we all have budgies, so we've made the choice already to maintain a less-than-natural arrangement between species. How we choose to keep them -- alone, in pairs, or in a flock -- is highly individual. A neglected budgie is inexcusable and inhumane. The rest, I believe, is open to interpretation.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:00 PM
guatemama (Mary)
Young Budgie
State:

Number of Budgies: 2
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 3
guatemama is greater than greatguatemama is greater than greatguatemama is greater than greatguatemama is greater than greatguatemama is greater than greatguatemama is greater than greatguatemama is greater than great

Well, there's another option - especially because you have another cage anyway. How about getting a 2nd budgie but keeping them in separate cages (same room)? That's what I've had for some time now, and they both seem happy in their own little territory. I do let them get together sometimes when they're out, but they (both males) just seem interested in each other - one more so than the other - not best buds. But when they're both in their cages, they are very vocal (in a happy way - singing and talking). They were both hand-fed (by Lindsey ) and have remained very tame and bonded to their human. I don't think they'd still be as tame if I caged them together. But they do seem happier to have the other bird nearby.

Old 01-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Welli Germany97 (Amaya)
Baby Budgie
State:

Gallery: 11
Welli Germany97 has a spectacular aura aboutWelli Germany97 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
I think single budgies can be just as happy as a flock if you give them enough love and attention
I think this is when you care about him 24 hours at one day, 7 days at one week, 365/366 days at one year,...

Old 01-02-2012, 05:41 PM
Raleighwheels
Young Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Newbie
Raleighwheels has a spectacular aura aboutRaleighwheels has a spectacular aura about

I completely agree with you Debbie. I like the dog scenerio because it is a good one. Anyway, I have four untamed keets that are happy in a nice sized cage and hate coming out of it. I have spent so much time trying to get them comfortable with coming out but they just don't want to. My single keet is very happy just sitting with just hanging out on my shoulder. She has free range of my room when I am home and have the time to spend with her. When I am gone I make sure that her cage has toys and there is music on. She loves looking out the window and watching cats go by. A bird that has never known a flock of its own kind will never know any different. They adapt to their situation. It would be different if someone took a bird from a group that it has been with for a long time and kept it alone in a cage.

Ultimately, you have to do what you believe is right and is better for your bird. Just remember that if you know the commitment that involves keeping a single bird, then there really is no right or wrong answer.

Closed Thread