Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Your Budgie's Health

Notices

Your Budgie's Health Learn about avian health and vet care. This forum does not substitute for veterinary expertise.
Thread Description:Which do you use/recommend? ALSO Bird Protector??

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2011, 07:28 AM
SouthernFried (Tiffanie)
Budgie

State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 0
SouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic person
Arrow Liquid Vitamins?

Lasso isn't taking to any of the fresh fruit or veggies. He's nibbled on his parsley and dill once, but didn't seem to care for it after he tried it. I keep offering different types every day regardless and I leave it until it needs to be taken out.
Anyway, I want to be sure he has everything he needs nutritionally so I am looking into vitamins. I went to get some last weekend and I was overwhelmed with the choices!
Which ones do you use or recommend? I saw Ecotrition Vita-Sol (I was leaning towards that one since he eats Ecotrition, but there are several types of it!), Vita Flight, Ornacyn, the list goes on.

What about that 8-in-1 Bird Protector that claims to keep mites and lice away?
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...ductId=2752090

Good grief!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2011, 09:53 AM
FaeryBee (Deborah)
Administrator

State:

FaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond reputeFaeryBee has a reputation beyond repute

I tried some of the liquid vitamins from the pet store and Sunny and Shelby wouldn't touch their water!!

You can use Apple Cider Vinegar (with the "mother") 1 tsp to 1 liter water and give it to him 2 or 3 times a week to help boost his immunity. I use that for Sunny and Shelby.

Lindsey (cutelilbirdies) gives all her flock the supplements I've listed below and I plan to order them for my guys as soon as I return from vacation.

I don't use the anti-lice/mite protector -- I'll let someone else weigh in on that question.

Flourish - A vitamin supplement

http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newpr.../flourish.html

AviBios - A pro-biotic

http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newpr...s/AviBios.html

Old 10-08-2011, 11:30 AM
Jo Ann (Jo Ann)
Super Moderator

State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Jo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond reputeJo Ann has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Liquid Vitamins?

Hi,
As a breeder, I use large quantities. of liquid and powder vitamins for wet food.

Lady Gouldian finch website has a lot of good powder electrolytes, liquid vits and probiotics Like Flourish, Energize etc and they are very helpful with making choices, as well as illness issues. I recently put our whole flock on energize for support from the summer heat stress.

I use Soluvet D-3 Breeder from Vetafarm. it is very expensive but Soluvet D is more reasonable for folks with small numbers of birds. Outstanding for breeding vigor. It takes continuous 6 months to show changes in vigor, so be patient if you use it. The D-3 in concert seems to be a major key.

I also buy Prime from www.FosterandSmith.com vet catalog to be used in water or I sprinkle it on moist food. It has probiotics that I like as well as the usual stuff. I try to offer my birds alternative sources since they can not forage in the wild for things their little bodies need. The wild birds seem to have an innate guidance for what they eat for fuel or health issues. Amazing!!!

I also make sure there are extra sources of Vit A, Iodine, and digestible calcium. Vetafarm has a liquid calcium that is a good product. I keep Euca-mint with vit A and a tablespoon of apple cider vinegar per gal of filtered water for general use as it is good for respiratory and digestive support and has mildly antibiotic properties. I buy Euca-mint from Foys pigeon supply here in the US. Oil of Eucalyptus, and Oil of Anice are available in health food stores as it is some times hard to get Euca-
mint. These are great to use as a vapor therapy for budgies and I use it for me when my asthma is being frisky!! The aviary smells wonderful and the warm moist air is great for hatching babies!! A simple crock pot with a wire top for safety is less expensive than a vaporizer which may have teflon issues.

It takes awhile to absorb and develop your own nutrition program. I read a lot and practiced on the wild birds that visit my yard before I got the Budgies. I sort of put myself thru a course of home schooling to prepare for the budgie project. I have great mentors as well to call when I get in over my head!!!

Blessings,

Jo Ann

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-09-2011, 09:06 PM
eduardo (Dee)
Animal Enthusiast

State:

eduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond reputeeduardo has a reputation beyond repute

I give mine two drops of liquid vitamins in their two-ounce water dish every day. They drink it no problem, but you know budgies - they take a drop or two of the water. Do they actually get enough vitamins like that?

Dee's Flock : Candy, Tony, and Eddie

Old 10-09-2011, 09:19 PM
CuteLittleBirdies (Lindsey)
Administrator

State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
CuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond reputeCuteLittleBirdies has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaeryBee View Post
I tried some of the liquid vitamins from the pet store and Sunny and Shelby wouldn't touch their water!!

You can use Apple Cider Vinegar (with the "mother") 1 tsp to 1 liter water and give it to him 2 or 3 times a week to help boost his immunity. I use that for Sunny and Shelby.

Lindsey (cutelilbirdies) gives all her flock the supplements I've listed below and I plan to order them for my guys as soon as I return from vacation.

I don't use the anti-lice/mite protector -- I'll let someone else weigh in on that question.

Flourish - A vitamin supplement

http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newpr.../flourish.html

AviBios - A pro-biotic

http://www.allbirdproducts.com/newpr...s/AviBios.html

Deborah has already said what I was going to suggest!

I also use soluvet D breeder in addition to the ones mentioned above, and instant ounces and guardian angel are great for a bird that is stressed or weak. All of the "all bird products" are just amazing, I have always been 100% happy with them.

Ornacyn is not something you would want to give them though, since it is not just a supplement but an antibiotic too (and doesn't work well from what I know, if you need an antibiotic its best to go to your avian vet) so you wouldn't want to give it for a vitamin supplement since it will kill the good bacteria you are wanting them to have

I would not however use a bird protector, they can poison your budgie and I have heard they don't even get rid of pests, so I would talk to your avian vet if you have worries about mites etc.

But no matter what kind of supplements you offer, they are still not going to be able to replace fresh fruits and veggies. Keep offering them! It can take months for some birds to finally accept them, but I have never met a budgie I could get to eat them even the most stubborn of them You just have to be more stubborn than they are

I am still looking for more photos if you would like to offer them! Do You Have Any Of These Mutations In Your Flock?

Please post budgie related questions you have on the forums rather than sending me a PM. That way others can benefit from the information and chime in too

Last edited by CuteLittleBirdies; 10-09-2011 at 09:27 PM.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 10-10-2011, 06:54 AM
SouthernFried (Tiffanie)
Budgie

State:

SouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic personSouthernFried is a fantastic person

I will definitely keep offering the fresh fruits and veggies in hopes he'll warm up to them like my toddlers eventually do.
I don't actually have any problems with mites, I was just curious as using it as a preventative; but it doesn't sound like a great idea so I'll skip it.

Thanks for all the wonderful suggestions everyone! I love this forum and I love y'all.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:58 AM
LeslieWE (Leslie)
Egg
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 1
LeslieWE is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cutelilbirdies View Post

Deborah has already said what I was going to suggest!

I also use soluvet D breeder in addition to the ones mentioned above, and instant ounces and guardian angel are great for a bird that is stressed or weak. All of the "all bird products" are just amazing, I have always been 100% happy with them.

Ornacyn is not something you would want to give them though, since it is not just a supplement but an antibiotic too (and doesn't work well from what I know, if you need an antibiotic its best to go to your avian vet) so you wouldn't want to give it for a vitamin supplement since it will kill the good bacteria you are wanting them to have

I would not however use a bird protector, they can poison your budgie and I have heard they don't even get rid of pests, so I would talk to your avian vet if you have worries about mites etc.

But no matter what kind of supplements you offer, they are still not going to be able to replace fresh fruits and veggies. Keep offering them! It can take months for some birds to finally accept them, but I have never met a budgie I could get to eat them even the most stubborn of them You just have to be more stubborn than they are
Bird protector - Oh my goodness, those things should be banned. I got my first budgie at age 13 (23 yrs ago). Her name was Chelsea. I always kept a protector on her cage. I didnt know better. She died at a year old. I fear it could have been that protector. My father was dating a vets assistant and although they didnt specialize in birds, she knew without hesitation that those things are bad. I cant say Chelsea died from it, for sure, but still.....there are better ways to handle mites/lice. I read your post because my budgies are seedaholics and I need to look into suppliments, also. It is very overwelming, too many choices!

Love me, love my budgies.

Closed Thread