Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Budgie Breeding

Notices

Budgie Breeding Learn about and share your own experiences related to breeding budgies.
Thread Description:how to make a nest box for a budgie

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2011, 03:02 PM
budgierock
Hatchling

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
budgierock is on a distinguished road
Default how to make a nest box for a budgie

hi i want to make a nest box for my budgie, if anyone have an idea how to make please tell me.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-19-2011, 03:16 PM
Budgiebud
Deactivated Account

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Budgiebud is just really niceBudgiebud is just really niceBudgiebud is just really niceBudgiebud is just really niceBudgiebud is just really nice
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by budgierock View Post
hi i want to make a nest box for my budgie, if anyone have an idea how to make please tell me.
Check this post.

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.ph...334#post865334

But please don't make any of cardboard boxes. Recently a member's chicks died because of it.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:36 PM
budgierock
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgiebud View Post
Check this post.

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.ph...334#post865334

But please don't make any of cardboard boxes. Recently a member's chicks died because of it.

thanks a lot for this help.

Old 08-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Zeena (Zeena)
Veteran Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Expert
Gallery: 5
Zeena has a reputation beyond reputeZeena has a reputation beyond reputeZeena has a reputation beyond reputeZeena has a reputation beyond reputeZeena has a reputation beyond reputeZeena has a reputation beyond reputeZeena has a reputation beyond reputeZeena has a reputation beyond reputeZeena has a reputation beyond reputeZeena has a reputation beyond reputeZeena has a reputation beyond repute

May I ask why you want to make nestbox for your budgies while they're still too young to breed? I hope you're not thinking of installing it just yet

RIP my Beautiful Couple Fuji and Mika (2007-2012)

Old 08-19-2011, 03:52 PM
Budgiebud
Deactivated Account

Budgiebud is just really niceBudgiebud is just really niceBudgiebud is just really niceBudgiebud is just really niceBudgiebud is just really nice
Smile

Quote:
thanks a lot for this help.
You're Welcome!

Let us know what you come up with.

Old 08-19-2011, 04:45 PM
budgierock
Hatchling

i really wanna make nest box. just for fun

Old 08-19-2011, 05:05 PM
atvchick95
Deactivated Account
State:

Gallery: 5
atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person

I make all mine I have 2 sizes for the budgies one is rather long but the budgie it was for preferred that one over the normal Square ones

Most of mine are 9x9x9 square a few are 10x10x10 Square (those ones were mainly Multi species use Not at the same time of course lol but i used them for budgies, lovebirds and tiels just at different times

I used Non treated Plywood - The ones I like the best don't have that rough look to the plywood where it almost looks like OSB board but its actually plywood if that makes sense - Those ones My lovebird likes to chew the inside of the box and use it as nest material so I try to always get the smoother plywood Usually 1 sheet makes 2 full boxes with lids - when you know what your doing and have proper tools at least (if we do it we wing it, I prefer to take the wood to my b/f's dads house and let him do it he has the proper tools, plus he's older and retired and what not and it gives him something to do with his time )

my lids just sit on top of the box but when we make our next batch I am going to get hinges Because I like them to stay attached that way when its closed the lid doesn't accidentally slide off and break eggs or hit babies and accidentally kill them (I've had both happen unfortunately)

now I do like mine that is longer rather than a perfect square. because They have more room to move around, and The budgie who enjoyed it If one end (like by the door) got dirty she'd just move every one to the other end Or before i was hand feeding the American budgies She was good at laying eggs while still having babies in the nest The babies would have one end(old enough not to need mom/dad to keep them warm any more) and the eggs would be laid on the other end with her incubating them. and she never laid in the middle of the box which was great because She never went in or out of the box and crushed any eggs or babies if she got scared because of how it was set up

and of course you have to put a concave in the bottom Most of ours was done with that tool you use to "shave" the wood I forget what its called but its flat with a Sharp end We'd just tap it with a hammer in a circle area until we got the concave the way we needed it.

Old 08-19-2011, 08:31 PM
budgierock
Hatchling

thanks a lot to answer this question. i was thinking of making it from cardboard like then i can put some soft piece of cloth on and in it.

Old 08-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Budgiebud
Deactivated Account

Unhappy

Quote:
i really wanna make nest box. just for fun
Quote:
thanks a lot to answer this question. i was thinking of making it from cardboard like then i can put some soft piece of cloth on and in it.
As you said, if you want to make it just for fun, then it's OK.

Otherwise,

Please don't make a nest box of cardboard boxes. Recently a member's chicks died because of it. These are soft and budgies can chew it to pieces. Sometimes it can be toxic as well. Most importantly it will become dirty and soiled very quickly and there is no way to clean these. In a recent case, the cardboard nest box became wet because of rainy and wet weather and it required to be changed. The parents didn't go into the new nest box and abandoned the eggs and the chicks, resulting the chicks to die.

Old 08-19-2011, 11:35 PM
budgierock
Hatchling

Quote:
Originally Posted by Budgiebud View Post
As you said, if you want to make it just for fun, then it's OK.

Otherwise,

Please don't make a nest box of cardboard boxes. Recently a member's chicks died because of it. These are soft and budgies can chew it to pieces. Sometimes it can be toxic as well. Most importantly it will become dirty and soiled very quickly and there is no way to clean these. In a recent case, the cardboard nest box became wet because of rainy and wet weather and it required to be changed. The parents didn't go into the new nest box and abandoned the eggs and the chicks, resulting the chicks to die.

really, i will never use a cardboard for a nest box. thanks a lot for telling

Closed Thread