Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Your Budgie's Health

Notices

Your Budgie's Health Learn about avian health and vet care. This forum does not substitute for veterinary expertise.

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 05-24-2011, 12:39 AM
TexasLonghorns (Jordan)
Egg

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
TexasLonghorns is on a distinguished road
Default How to introduce fruits and vegetables to parakeets?

I have never given my parakeets fruits or vegetables and one of my female parakeets is having eggs. She has 4 right now but I want to know how do I make them like vegetables? I have never tried putting anything in the cage for them. any tips and can I give them like carrots from the grocery store that are in a bag or is it certain kinds?

I hear they need healthy food when they are breeding so I need to give them vegetables. Any tips please?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-24-2011, 09:10 AM
atvchick95
Deactivated Account
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Gallery: 5
atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person

they actually need the healthy food rather breeding or not

but you have to try it different ways, and since they've never had it it may take them a long time to even try it but don't give up

that is where a lot of people go wrong they give them carrots once - The bird doesn't touch it - the say "well i tried they don't like it and never do it again"

some Birds like the veggies in strips, some tiny chunks, some like it steamed, some just like it no matter how it is given

For leafy greens Mine love them hung up and still a bit wet from washing them they eat and take a bath on it all at the same time

Veggies mine like everything but carrots,
I make mine Bird bread and put all the veggies in it they Love bird bread and eat it all and i swear they lick the dish clean! half the time there is no crumbs!!

there are many many different ways you can make bird bread but here's a link to my website page with My personal birdie bread on it - We've been making it for the last 4 years and Just add things our birds like

http://kmbreeding.weebly.com/the-food-they-eat.html

but the main key is NOT to give up

also birds are like kids Monkey see Monkey do
a lot of people have gotten their birds to eat veggies (and fruits for the ones who will mine won't touch fruits but my big parrots do) by eating the veggie in front of them.

birds are drama queens They love drama so if you eat the food in front of them and make a huge deal out of it Like its the best thing in the world this will peak their interest a lot more as well.

oh and if your going to start off with just 1 certain veggie - I'd give it to them every day for a week before trying a new one, and in that weeks time Fix it up in different ways see which way they like it best, not all birds like their food prepared the same way

Old 05-24-2011, 09:49 AM
Kisami
Egg
State:

Gallery: 0
Kisami is on a distinguished road

lol I was coming here to ask this same question!

Quote:
that is where a lot of people go wrong they give them carrots once - The bird doesn't touch it - the say "well i tried they don't like it and never do it again"
Yeah that is my problem. I tried a few times but they showed zero interest and I didn't stick with it

Mostly I felt like it was just being wasted. I put it in their cage and it sat there and in the evening I removed it and threw it out.

I have a split food dish with two sides. Do you think it is a good idea to fill one side with seed and the other with veggies/ So maybe they will see it with their food and try it?

Your website is great, I love the pics of the breads. I am a horrid cook for myself even so I am just not good at guessing at ingredients/amounts well. Do you have any very specific recipes? I also only have 2 birds so how long would the bread stay good for?

And how do you give them the bread? In their normal food dish?

♥ "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~ Immanual Kant ♥

Old 05-24-2011, 10:01 AM
atvchick95
Deactivated Account
State:

atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kisami View Post
lol I was coming here to ask this same question!

Yeah that is my problem. I tried a few times but they showed zero interest and I didn't stick with it

Mostly I felt like it was just being wasted. I put it in their cage and it sat there and in the evening I removed it and threw it out.

I have a split food dish with two sides. Do you think it is a good idea to fill one side with seed and the other with veggies/ So maybe they will see it with their food and try it?

Your website is great, I love the pics of the breads. I am a horrid cook for myself even so I am just not good at guessing at ingredients/amounts well. Do you have any very specific recipes? I also only have 2 birds so how long would the bread stay good for?

And how do you give them the bread? In their normal food dish?

we don't measure anything we just eye ball it - the only measuring that is done is the liquid for the actual bread part

we cut it in small squares, then depending on the cage it gets broken up in a few pieces and put on top of their food They usually jump on a dish drag a piece out and eat it on the cage floor

We make a lot at once, Leave out enough for the week in the fridge and We freeze the rest.

as for specific recipes I don't have but what is on my site - the beans, eggs, frozen mixed veggies, rice,and noodles is added Every single time we make it.

If I make it by my self I add no seeds or pellets (I really dislike the smell of them cooking) if my b/f makes it he does add it. The reason we started adding the pellets/seeds wasn't for the birds actually .. we'd made a batch and had it on my kitchen table cooling, a friend stopped in and was in the kitchen getting a drink asked if he could have some of what was on the table - not thinking anything of it we said sure. (i had other snack type things on my table so we thought he meant that) well he came in with a piece of bird bread started eating it - we were in our own world playing games on the computer- He said Man this bread is Good how'd you make it? I looked over and saw it was the bird bread and started busting out laughing - told him what it was, and what was in it including the Egg shells He ate the entire piece even after being told and wanted more! lol

well we're no longer friends with him and we don't get much company So I don't see the point in adding the seeds/pellets any more but the b/f likes to for variety

For 2 birds though I'd use 1 package of Corn bread mix, and probably no more than 1/2 of cup each of beans, rice, mixed veggies,noodles and 1 Hard boiled egg

Old 05-24-2011, 10:24 AM
nyc-budgie (michelle)
Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 6
nyc-budgie has much to be proud ofnyc-budgie has much to be proud ofnyc-budgie has much to be proud ofnyc-budgie has much to be proud ofnyc-budgie has much to be proud ofnyc-budgie has much to be proud ofnyc-budgie has much to be proud ofnyc-budgie has much to be proud ofnyc-budgie has much to be proud of

For me the real trick has been tiny shreds. I have a japanese mandolin that makes tiny shreds so I use this to slice veggies to try. Just today I tried green pepper and that was a hit. So cute seeing him nibble the the tiny strips. Also cilantro was a big hit right away too. I put in a small bunch and attach it to the side of the cage with a bulldog clip.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:38 PM
Jimm-V (Roland)
Member of the Month

Gallery: 46
Jimm-V has a reputation beyond reputeJimm-V has a reputation beyond reputeJimm-V has a reputation beyond reputeJimm-V has a reputation beyond reputeJimm-V has a reputation beyond reputeJimm-V has a reputation beyond reputeJimm-V has a reputation beyond reputeJimm-V has a reputation beyond reputeJimm-V has a reputation beyond reputeJimm-V has a reputation beyond reputeJimm-V has a reputation beyond repute

The food dish needs to be familiar to the pair. Hope you have 2 seed dishes in the cage. Instead of seeds, use one of them to put veggies while the other one is for seeds. The trick is don't put any foreign dish to frighten the budgies as you introduce new food for the 1st time to them.

You need 3 types of food to provide protein, carbohydrates and Vitamin A, all of which are essential for developments of healthy chicks.

1. Protein : Easily available is eggs. Boil 1 egg for 10 minutes until hardboil. When cool, use a knife to cut into 2 halves (with shell intact). One half for today's consumption while the 2nd half for tomorrow's food (of course, keep it refridgerated). Next, mash the half egg into fine pieces with a fork presses against the egg in a flat plate. Remember, budgies are messy birds when it comes to eating. Too big pieces tend to be flung everywhere in the cage and landed on the cage bottom as spoilage.

2. Carbohydrates : oatbran, corn, wholemeal bread, hulled millets....choose your pick (anyone type). Besides oatbran and hulled millets, the rest needs to chopped or shredded finely.

3. Vitamin A : Carrots is the best choice. As far as I know, carrots got only 1 type and you should not be mistaken. Grate about 3 tablespoons of carrot using a shredder/grater. 3 tablespoons are good enough for a breeding pair.

Mix item (1), (2) and (3) together and serve it to your breeding pair everyday. Use your discretion to lookout for molds as the above food are perishables after a few hours put in the cage.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

Old 05-25-2011, 10:17 AM
atvchick95
Deactivated Account
State:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimm-V View Post
The food dish needs to be familiar to the pair. Hope you have 2 seed dishes in the cage. Instead of seeds, use one of them to put veggies while the other one is for seeds. The trick is don't put any foreign dish to frighten the budgies as you introduce new food for the 1st time to them.

You need 3 types of food to provide protein, carbohydrates and Vitamin A, all of which are essential for developments of healthy chicks.

1. Protein : Easily available is eggs. Boil 1 egg for 10 minutes until hardboil. When cool, use a knife to cut into 2 halves (with shell intact). One half for today's consumption while the 2nd half for tomorrow's food (of course, keep it refridgerated). Next, mash the half egg into fine pieces with a fork presses against the egg in a flat plate. Remember, budgies are messy birds when it comes to eating. Too big pieces tend to be flung everywhere in the cage and landed on the cage bottom as spoilage.

2. Carbohydrates : oatbran, corn, wholemeal bread, hulled millets....choose your pick (anyone type). Besides oatbran and hulled millets, the rest needs to chopped or shredded finely.

3. Vitamin A : Carrots is the best choice. As far as I know, carrots got only 1 type and you should not be mistaken. Grate about 3 tablespoons of carrot using a shredder/grater. 3 tablespoons are good enough for a breeding pair.

Mix item (1), (2) and (3) together and serve it to your breeding pair everyday. Use your discretion to lookout for molds as the above food are perishables after a few hours put in the cage.

Hope it helps. Good luck.

Good points

Also Pumpkin out of the can has more Vitamin A than most other foods and it has More Vitamin A out of a can then the Pumpkin does it self

and its the Only food that should be fed in can form - so corn, green beans, peas etc.should not be from a can, Fresh is best with the Frozen version(thawed) being 2nd best

Just a lil F.Y.I. About Pumpkins
Quote:
Did You Knowthat pumpkin is chock full of vitamins, minerals, fiber, and antioxidants?

Pumpkin is chock full o goodness. You can tell by its bright color that its going to be going to be good for you. Not only is pumpkin loaded with vitamin A and antioxidant carotenoids, particularly alpha and beta-carotenes, its a good source of vitamins C, K, and E, and lots of minerals, including magnesium, potassium, and iron.

Half a cup of canned pumpkin has 6.5 grams of effective carbohydrate and 3.5 grams of fiber

The seeds are also worth latching on to. Pumpkin seeds, also called pepitas, are loaded with minerals, seem to have an anti-inflammatory effect, and may even help protect against prostate cancer and osteoporosis. A quarter cup has about 5 grams of effective carb and 1.5 grams of fiber.

Closed Thread