Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Budgie Breeding

Notices

Budgie Breeding Learn about and share your own experiences related to breeding budgies.

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 05-15-2011, 09:42 AM
TexasLonghorns (Jordan)
Egg

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
TexasLonghorns is on a distinguished road
Default Parakeet not sitting on eggs

My parakeet has 2 eggs and she should of layed her 3rd egg already because the last time she layed one was thursday night. My problem is that she keeps going into the nest box and keeps chewing where the concave is in the center of the nest box. The reason I think she is doing this is because the perch inside goes halfway over where the concave is and she might be doing this so she has more room to lay on the eggs. They say they chew down the perch but she doesnt and she only chews on the floor. Should I cut the perch off from where it goes over the concave?

Also the cage and nest box are right by the door and if you move or leave the room she always gets up and looks outside the nest box. She will even do that if it is quiet and the male bird inside the cage makes a noise.

Also how many days can the egg survive without her sitting on them? Im not sure if she ever started sitting on them but she might have but she does for only awhile and then stops

I can post a picture of the nest box if needed.. Thank you

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-15-2011, 10:50 AM
TexasLonghorns (Jordan)
Egg

Something is very wrong now. She keeps flying all over the cage going in and out of the nest box and trying to look under and above the box.. she also hears the birds i recently took out of the cage so it would be just her and the male and she never liked them but I have no clue what is going on.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:06 PM
birdlover912 (HC)
Hatchling

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 15
birdlover912 will become famous soon enough

There shouldn't be a perch inside of the nest box. Many boxes are shipped that way, but you are supposed to slide the perch out so the parent birds can enter the box easier.

If the perch is over the concave, this is probably why she has abandoned the nest. If the eggs get too cold, they will not survive. I would suggest removing that perch as soon as possible and then wait and see what happens. Depending on if she can sit on the eggs or not with the perch, these eggs may be dead in shell already.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:16 PM
TexasLonghorns (Jordan)
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdlover912 View Post
There shouldn't be a perch inside of the nest box. Many boxes are shipped that way, but you are supposed to slide the perch out so the parent birds can enter the box easier.

If the perch is over the concave, this is probably why she has abandoned the nest. If the eggs get too cold, they will not survive. I would suggest removing that perch as soon as possible and then wait and see what happens. Depending on if she can sit on the eggs or not with the perch, these eggs may be dead in shell already.

The perch is made to be inside and she climbs in from outside onto the perch inside. let me post a picture of the nest box

Old 05-15-2011, 12:18 PM
atvchick95
Deactivated Account
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Gallery: 5
atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person

Quote:
Originally Posted by birdlover912 View Post

yes the perch is supposed to be on the inside how else would they get out of the nest box or fed at the entry door by the male if there is nothing there to get on to ?

Old 05-15-2011, 12:21 PM
atvchick95
Deactivated Account
State:

atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person

Here is a couple of my nest boxes- Some of the perches have been chewed on some have not

this one is a Store bought Parakeet nest box

same as above- the little white area peeking out under the bedding is the concave area

Old 05-15-2011, 12:32 PM
TexasLonghorns (Jordan)
Egg

Here is what my nest box looks like.

If this is what was keeping her from laying on them does that mean its to late for these eggs? or can they live 10 days before having to be incubated

Last edited by TexasLonghorns; 05-15-2011 at 12:39 PM.

Old 05-15-2011, 12:44 PM
atvchick95
Deactivated Account
State:

Normally a bird doesn't start sitting on her eggs until She's finished with her clutch

I've read they can survive up to 1 week after laid if not sat on right away but after a week they won't grow and hatch

but how true that is I don't know I saw it on some site some average person made with information from many sites but didn't say where they got their information from

Old 05-15-2011, 12:46 PM
TexasLonghorns (Jordan)
Egg

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvchick95 View Post
Normally a bird doesn't start sitting on her eggs until She's finished with her clutch

I've read they can survive up to 1 week after laid if not sat on right away but after a week they won't grow and hatch

but how true that is I don't know I saw it on some site some average person made with information from many sites but didn't say where they got their information from
From the looks of my nest box is it needed for me to take half of the perch off inside?

Old 05-15-2011, 12:50 PM
VickyLouise (Vicky)
Veteran Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 36
VickyLouise has a reputation beyond reputeVickyLouise has a reputation beyond reputeVickyLouise has a reputation beyond reputeVickyLouise has a reputation beyond reputeVickyLouise has a reputation beyond reputeVickyLouise has a reputation beyond reputeVickyLouise has a reputation beyond reputeVickyLouise has a reputation beyond reputeVickyLouise has a reputation beyond reputeVickyLouise has a reputation beyond reputeVickyLouise has a reputation beyond repute

Looks like you could possibly trim the perch abit so it doesnt hang over the top of the concave... I dont really like those nest boxes, they dont seem big enough, i prefer wider boxes than higher.

The wider boxes have the concave up one end, away from the hole and it gives the parents more room in there too. Because they arent high there is no need to have the perch inside, just on the outside so they can get in.

Here are the boxes i have:

If the eggs get too cold then i doubt they will come to anything. Hope your hen settles down soon.

Closed Thread