Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > General Budgie Talk

Notices

General Budgie Talk Chat about general budgie stuff here.
Thread Description:why is my pair not breeding??

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2011, 12:44 PM
groeniedie (Gillian)
Egg

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
groeniedie is on a distinguished road
Default why is my pair not breeding??

HI can anyone give me some idea has to why my male an female wont breed ,they have a nest box with wood shavings & i put in some millet to get them to explore the box ,but they are not at all interested,they are on a good diet ,fruit ,veg egg food,iron block,cuttlebone,millet ,mixed seed and evry fex days i give some multi-vitamins.They pay no attention to the box at all.They are male and female for sure.They are just over months old.
Can someone give me some tips or tell me what i am doing wrong???PLEASE!!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-21-2011, 12:52 PM
atvchick95
Deactivated Account
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Gallery: 5
atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person

they're how old?

and are they bonded?

it takes some birds a while to become interested in the nest box not all birds just jump right in the "sack" and get busy making a family, I've had budgies set up for months before they even had an egg

I have a Pair of Quakers that's been set up with a nest box for going on 2 years and I've never gotten an egg - i know they're male and female as they were surgically sexed, And they are extremely bonded- they're JUST NOT READY to make a family and when they are they will

Old 03-21-2011, 12:56 PM
ParrotletsRock
Budgie

Number of Budgies: 6
ParrotletsRock has much to be proud ofParrotletsRock has much to be proud ofParrotletsRock has much to be proud ofParrotletsRock has much to be proud ofParrotletsRock has much to be proud ofParrotletsRock has much to be proud ofParrotletsRock has much to be proud ofParrotletsRock has much to be proud of

Just over how many months old... they should be at least a year old... , they have to be in "condition" , they have to be a compatible pair... some just don't see they other bird "in that way"...lol they would rather be "just friends"..lol and they have to be comfortable with their surroundings and people around them before they feel comfortable enough to breed... Then again... some birds have opted for the childless life...they just are not interested in breeding.

Old 03-21-2011, 01:10 PM
atvchick95
Deactivated Account
State:

atvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic personatvchick95 is a fantastic person

Quote:
Originally Posted by ParrotletsRock View Post
some birds have opted for the childless life...they just are not interested in breeding.
I have one of those - she doesn't bond to no other bird not even other females, no one preens her she preens no one she'd rather be on her own and not bothered by the other birds, her cere has never left the chalky white- light baby blue on the bottom corners stage- she's never even laid an egg and she's never mated with any bird rather its male or female(Yep i have females who mate females and females who mount and "mate" the males lol)

Old 03-21-2011, 01:12 PM
groeniedie (Gillian)
Egg

groeniedie is on a distinguished road

Oops sorry just over 12 months, and they are regurgitating food to each other and now just saw that the crusty brown cere of my female is coming away ,so think she might becoming out of season now....

Old 03-21-2011, 01:35 PM
Drew (Drew)
Hatchling
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Drew is on a distinguished road

WHAT?!?

I never would have thought female budgies would do that.. are you sure the 'mounter' is a female??

Very interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by atvchick95 View Post
I have one of those - she doesn't bond to no other bird not even other females, no one preens her she preens no one she'd rather be on her own and not bothered by the other birds, her cere has never left the chalky white- light baby blue on the bottom corners stage- she's never even laid an egg and she's never mated with any bird rather its male or female(Yep i have females who mate females and females who mount and "mate" the males lol)

Old 03-21-2011, 01:38 PM
atvchick95
Deactivated Account
State:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew View Post
WHAT?!?

I never would have thought female budgies would do that.. are you sure the 'mounter' is a female??

Very interesting.

yes I am 1000% sure its a female I know the genders of my birds

my birds aren't normal When they want a piece of action they get it LOL

I had 2 lovebirds both females Mate and lay eggs They were dead set on having a family, BOTH incubated the eggs, did everything a Male/female pair does (with out a nest box they did it on the cage floor) they bonded and they were a "family" in their view I kept telling them they were both girls and no babies were in their future, I sold the one female now the last one is still sitting on the eggs She attacks me when Ever i try to clean out her cage- so I'm patiently waiting on her to get bored(its been almost 2 months now) so I can get rid of them

it's really not that uncommon at least not around here at my house

Closed Thread