Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Your Budgie's Health

Notices

Your Budgie's Health Learn about avian health and vet care. This forum does not substitute for veterinary expertise.

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 12-20-2009, 07:57 PM
taylorfawn (Taylor)
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 2
taylorfawn is on a distinguished road
Default Cere problem

ive had my budgie for about 3 years and in the last year her cere has just got worse and worse. I know a year is long but i thought it was just in breeding condition and it'd go away in time, but the past month i've been worried, i booked a vets appointment last week and had to cancel because i found out my dad has cancer. and i've been busy since then, i'm going to try and get in after christmas
i've read to put some vasaline on it and i think it has gone a little smaller
but this is the picture i took before doing that
has anyone else seen or know what this is?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-20-2009, 08:04 PM
SpickyDavies
Member of the Month
State:

Gallery: 0
SpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond repute

woah that's one honker of a cere
from the staining above her cere she looks to have a vitamin a deficiency, try offering more dark leafy greens like parsley and broccoli, carrot tops ect and orange foods like carrots

she may just be a hen has a thick cere, if it's not bothering her
i don't see it being to much off a problem, if you are uncomfortable with it- check with an avian vet
i wouldn't be surprised if it fell off soon, as you can start to see the pale blue underneath

www.mangosgoodies.webs.com

Old 12-20-2009, 08:11 PM
taylorfawn (Taylor)
State:

yeah it's not bothering her, shes happy as larry
okay i'll try and give her some green
and my mum said that it might fall off cause shes sure it has before but i wasn't sure haha
thanks

Old 12-20-2009, 09:34 PM
Budgiekin (Kim)
Administrator

State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 237
Budgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond repute

I am not as concerned about the cere as I am about the feather discolouration above it. It may even signal an infection of some kind when you see discharge that causes staining. I would say it is definitely worth a visit to the vet.

If your budgie does not eat a very varied diet (i.e veggies, some fruit, seeds, source of protein, mineral block etc...), then it may be worthwhile supplementing her diet with something like Nekton S that can be sprinkled on top of the food. Ask the vet about supplementation to see if she/he thinks it might be necessary.

Keep us updated, okay?

Old 12-20-2009, 09:44 PM
pal0m1n0
Super Moderator

State:

Number of Budgies: 6
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 60
pal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admiration

I agree with Budgiekin and Spicky that it is most likely a nutritional deficiency. If it is really hard and looks like the nares are become too small the vet may want to trim some of it. Do you have an iodine block as well? I would expect that if it is an iodine deficiency that the cere would be much darker, though. It really does look like a breeding condition cere, but the staining does suggest some other problem going on.

Cutie Pie, Olive, Budgie, Baby Boy, Star, Pepper, Ariel, Oscar, Charlie, Little One, Chiclet.
Cutie Pie, Olive, Ariel, Little One and Chiclet are children of Budgie and Oscar.
Budgie and Star left us in 2009. Pepper and Oscar left us this year, 2010.

A good day is a day all your birds are happy and healthy.

Old 12-20-2009, 10:10 PM
taylorfawn (Taylor)
State:

well this is quite a oldish picture i took it in September, i think the staining has gone away quite a bit since then
and the cere isn't as brown as in the picture, it's gone a bit lighter since then
i'll take a new one as soon as to update you
thanks

Old 12-21-2009, 01:07 AM
xBudgiex
Egg

xBudgiex is on a distinguished road

YES! I have the same problem with my Budgie. Shes about 7 or 8 years old. I thought it was Scaley Face.. But maybe not! My bird doesn't have the staining above it though. I put a cuttlebone in there today..

Old 12-21-2009, 05:14 AM
absolutangel (Tracy)
Senior Budgie
State:

absolutangel is just really niceabsolutangel is just really niceabsolutangel is just really niceabsolutangel is just really nice

There is a condition, I think called hyperkeratosis, where the cere stays in breeding condition. Blue is 2 1/2 and her cere has been brown and crusty ever since she first went into breeding condition. When I was seeing the vet about something else he took a look and said as long as it wasn't blocking the nostrils not to worry. They can remove it, it sort of peels off apparently, but unless it's causing problems there's no need to put them through it.

Thanks for the siggy KipTheGreat

Please click me

Old 12-21-2009, 09:45 AM
Budgiekin (Kim)
Administrator

State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 237
Budgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond reputeBudgiekin has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by absolutangel View Post
There is a condition, I think called hyperkeratosis, where the cere stays in breeding condition. Blue is 2 1/2 and her cere has been brown and crusty ever since she first went into breeding condition. When I was seeing the vet about something else he took a look and said as long as it wasn't blocking the nostrils not to worry. They can remove it, it sort of peels off apparently, but unless it's causing problems there's no need to put them through it.
Indeed, it looks as though your budgie could have this condition. I have seen some pictures of budgies with very very crusty and thick ceres such as this.

It is my understanding that this is a hormonal thing and for the most part does not cause any problems, unless like Tracy mentioned, your budgie's nares start to get blocked.

Old 01-17-2010, 09:33 PM
taylorfawn (Taylor)
State:

i decided to leave it for a few weeks to see if she'll file it off but like a bit fall off the other day :|
what should i do? leave it and see if the rest of it comes off?

heres a picture but it isn't really good

Closed Thread