Hello! I think my parakeet is ready to lay an egg, need advice! - Talk Budgies Forums

User Menu
Forum Home
Budgie Gallery
Budgie FAQ
Site Guidelines
How-To-Guide
Members List
Today's Posts
Register now!
Search

Advanced Search
Popular Forums
Announcements

Budgie Articles

Budgie Talk

Budgie Pictures

Budgie Videos

Budgie Behavior

Sexing Budgies

Your Budgie's Health

Training and Bonding

Budgie Breeding

In Memory

Other Birds

Contests

Chit Chat

Site Discussion

Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Budgie Breeding

Notices

Budgie Breeding Learn about and share your own experiences related to breeding budgies.

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 08-04-2009, 01:28 PM
sugarmyst

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Owner
Gallery: 0
sugarmyst is on a distinguished road
Default Hello! I think my parakeet is ready to lay an egg, need advice!

Hi everyone, this is my first time posting to this forum. I have male/female parakeets in a cage together, got them a few months ago from a man who couldn't keep them anymore. Not sure of their age but they're definitely both fully mature.

The female has never seemed to like the male very much, seems to peck him whenever he gets to close, etc. However, 2 days ago I noticed she looked very fat in the belly area.. I picked her up yesterday and turned her upside down and clearly, she has a lump the size of an egg in her belly. Now i've had female birds in the past who were alone and have layed eggs so I know its possible she has not mated with the male and its a blank. But either way I decided to build a small nest box and placed it in the corner of their cage (couldn't figure out how to mount it outside of the cage). That was last night.

So far, neither bird has gone in it. Now I'm concerned because she has to get that egg out. Does anyone know how long before the female is visably pregnant until the time she lays the egg? So far its been 3 days. I layed some millet seed in front of the nest box to entice them but they haven't gone near it. It's a wire bottom cage so I'm wondering if they just don't like walking on the bottom of the cage to get to it? Help! Any advice is much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-04-2009, 01:32 PM
Cassidy (Cassidy)
<3
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Gallery: 1
Cassidy is a splendid one to beholdCassidy is a splendid one to beholdCassidy is a splendid one to beholdCassidy is a splendid one to beholdCassidy is a splendid one to beholdCassidy is a splendid one to behold

i dont think i can help you with thhis but i just wantted to say Welcome to talk budgies hooe you enjoy the fourms!!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:33 PM
jimjam&sonny (Shobi)
Budgie
State:

jimjam&sonny will become famous soon enoughjimjam&sonny will become famous soon enough

it could be an egg or tumour can you post a pic please maybe one of the more experienced budgie owners can let you know, but posting a pic will help alot!

Old 08-04-2009, 01:37 PM
enicol6 (Ericka)
Member of the Month
State:

enicol6 is a name known to allenicol6 is a name known to allenicol6 is a name known to allenicol6 is a name known to allenicol6 is a name known to allenicol6 is a name known to all

Are her poops much larger? Is her vent/bum bald? Is her tail bobbing? Has her diet changed? How is her demeaner?

"The best things in life are not things."

Old 08-07-2009, 07:33 PM
Irelandlily (Amy)
Hatchling
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Breeder
Gallery: 5
Irelandlily is on a distinguished road

While I know I am not the most experienced budgie owner here, I would suggest taking the wire bottom out if possible. Other than that I know that it can take a couple days for a female to decide to *accept* a nesting box. Either way, good luck, and I agree, pics would be a good thing.

Old 08-07-2009, 07:36 PM
SpickyDavies
Member of the Month
State:

SpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond reputeSpickyDavies has a reputation beyond repute

i don't think it's possible to actual see the egg inside the bird,
it sounds more like a tumor
could you provide a photo?

www.mangosgoodies.webs.com

Closed Thread