Talk Network
Talk Budgies
Talk Cockatiels
Talk Parrotlets
Talk Parrots
Sponsored Ads

Go Back   Talk Budgies Forums > Budgie Talk > Budgie Breeding

Notices

Budgie Breeding Learn about and share your own experiences related to breeding budgies.

Closed Thread

Short URL Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2007, 01:27 PM
clifff123 (Cliff)
Veteran Budgie
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Lover
Gallery: 106
clifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Do budgies mate for life

Do budgies mate for life?
I was just wondering. I have seen allot of flirting in my flock. Or will the cocks mate with anybody. Pud has laid a few eggs lately and the whole flock seems to be interested. Pickles actually sat on one of pud's fake eggs.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-27-2007, 02:27 PM
Adottybird
Supporting Member
State:

Gallery: 0
Adottybird is a jewel in the roughAdottybird is a jewel in the roughAdottybird is a jewel in the rough

I think most people will answer yes to that question. A lot of birds mate for life, this saves of lot of energy. Of course there is anyways the exception to the rule. A mate gets sick, dies or for some reason they just don't work out.

However I always wonder about what is going on sometimes. It looks like Aunts and Uncles are coming to visited the nest. Or is it something else they are looking for. There are somethings that only the birds are going to know for sure. *giggle*

Old 11-27-2007, 05:16 PM
pal0m1n0
Super Moderator

State:

Number of Budgies: 6
Gallery: 60
pal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admirationpal0m1n0 is worthy of great admiration

I would say probably not, unless the selection is very low. Certainly males will mate with anybody they can. I don't think the hens are faithful either. Bonds can be broken.

Cutie Pie, Olive, Budgie, Baby Boy, Star, Pepper, Ariel, Oscar, Charlie, Little One, Chiclet.
Cutie Pie, Olive, Ariel, Little One and Chiclet are children of Budgie and Oscar.
Budgie and Star left us in 2009. Pepper and Oscar left us this year, 2010.

A good day is a day all your birds are happy and healthy.

Old 11-27-2007, 05:53 PM
homebird
Young Budgie
State:

Gallery: 21
homebird will become famous soon enoughhomebird will become famous soon enough

I think Budgies are like People = some are faithful & others are not.

My Rio's Dad & Mom slit up & before that happened he obviously was visiting another nest from the looks of some of the babies in that clutch. The mother paired up with another male - had a few chicks & then off to her old love. He was in a male/male relationship for a while too! They are all free in a one room aviary. I think things have settled down now - it may have been due to new Budgies in the group.

I was on the Online Budgie website http://www.birds-online.de/meine_sit...zeitige_en.htm & her Budgies can be faithful or not. She takes in Budgies & has a few with injuries.

Old 11-27-2007, 06:04 PM
Kerry C
Budgie
State:

Number of Budgies: 100+
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Exhibitor
Kerry C is just really niceKerry C is just really niceKerry C is just really niceKerry C is just really niceKerry C is just really nice

Sorry but male budgies always are “willing” if the opportunity is there. He will come back to the nest of the hen he has prd up with, but always happy to make a side trip!

Female budgies are the discerning of the species. They are the ones who pick which male is worthy to be her mate.

That is also what is so great about breeding budgies you can always mix up your prs each year or after each breeding. If you are not happy with the quality of the chicks you produced try a different cock with that hen. 97% of the times the hens are will to take the guy you choose for her. However, you still have to keep an eye on a newly prd up couple. When I am pairing up my birds I do it before I get to work in the aviary/breeding room. This way I can keep an eye on them for a good hour or more to see if there are any big objections. You pretty well can tell within that first hr if the paring will work out or not.

Old 11-27-2007, 07:16 PM
clifff123 (Cliff)
Veteran Budgie
State:

Gallery: 106
clifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond reputeclifff123 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks all that answered my questions

Old 11-27-2007, 11:18 PM
Budgiesrule
Hatchling

Number of Budgies: 6
Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Enthusiast
Budgiesrule is an unknown quantity at this point

No I don't think they pair for life.

Old 11-28-2007, 03:09 AM
Budgietom (Phillip)
Member of the Month
State:

Budgie Experience Level: Budgie Expert
Budgietom is just really niceBudgietom is just really niceBudgietom is just really niceBudgietom is just really nice

Neither do I. I think that pal0min0 is spot on!

Closed Thread