Does anyone know if there are English budgie breeders in Michigan? I'm having a hard time finding any English babies that aren't out of state. Hoobly isn't doing me much good, and I've looked at the budgie society pages but there's nothing listed for Michigan. I tried to send them an email but for some reason it's broken and won't let me.
Also, be aware that not all breeders do so responsibly.
Make sure you ask questions to determinethe following:
1. Does the breeder hand feed or co-parent chicks
(Co-parenting is much better for the chicks by the way!)
2. If the breeder does hand feed, at what point to they pull the chicks
3. What sort of conditioning diet are the parents fed?
4. What foods are used when weaning the babies?
5. At how many weeks do they release the chicks to the adoptive "parronts"? Eight weeks is optimal as the chicks should be eating on their own for a minimum of two weeks and at 8 weeks there is less chance of regression.
6. How many clutches per year are the parents allowed?
7. Do they give the parents 6 months to a year rest after the second clutch?