HELP black spots on budgies feathers? [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: HELP black spots on budgies feathers?

SaraFog
08-30-2012, 10:20 AM
My budgie is ill right now, and recently he has started getting specks of black on his feathers. I have no idea what they are or what they do. I attached some pictures so let me know what you think

giggly
08-30-2012, 10:36 AM
I was wondering the same. I had a few budgies with the same spots, but they all went away with their moult. I do not know what causes it. One was a sick baby then, she got on medication and got healthy, but the spots went only with her first moult. The others were not sick as far as I and the vet said, and the new feathers are spotless.

I wonder if anybody has any information about this.

greymomof2
08-30-2012, 02:54 PM
The look like stress bars or something similar. I think it happens as the feather is forming; maybe lacking a particular vitamin or something.

~Connie~
08-30-2012, 08:42 PM
Oooo I wish to know that too. If u hv seen a doctor n there is conclusion, cld u keep us posted?

I m worry about polyoma virus

brandy
08-30-2012, 10:16 PM
I think the black spots are related to stress while the feather is growing in. My blue crown conure got those when she had to live with my mom for 6 months (I was flooded out of my house). As soon as I got her back and her stress level decreased, the feathers started growing in normally again.

SaraFog
08-30-2012, 10:49 PM
It is weird though the black spots just sit on the feathers

greymomof2
08-30-2012, 10:52 PM
I think it's actually lack of pigmentation on the feather. When it moults out take a good look at it.

Sarebare
08-31-2012, 03:18 AM
rocky has that

LynandIndigo
08-31-2012, 03:47 AM
Hi. Sara. When I had my buster he was the same colour as your bird he got black spots on him and my mum said that is new feathers coming through when the new feathers came through the black spots went away. Indi gets them on his head when he is moulting when the moulting is over the black spots go away. Unless he has mites they are black. I have seen mites. But I think it has to do with molting. Ask your budgie vet if you are worried. Lyn and indi

Dries
08-31-2012, 05:03 AM
I'm no expert, but I don't think it is something to worry about. It always dissapear after moulting.

Budgies!!!
08-31-2012, 03:28 PM
Oh my keets have those after they take baths too. I dont think you should be worried :)