Wiki's Tricks: Clicker Training Props & Behaviours [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Wiki's Tricks: Clicker Training Props & Behaviours

Wiki
06-26-2012, 07:29 AM
Well, it's 5 months into my clicker training and I wanted to share this one:

Tricky Wiki 2 - YouTube

I'm very, very proud of what this clever little fellow has taught me.

:budge:

crazybudgies
06-28-2012, 12:02 PM
you must be such a good trainer!!:budgie::budge::D

Wiki
07-01-2012, 12:32 AM
Thank you - but I think Wiki's a better learner :D

Wiki
10-02-2012, 09:12 AM
Well, Wiki's a year old now, and after his large moult he's been able to fly! So all our training has been focused on flight recall to make him a safe, happy flying machine. Here's his latest exploits..

Flight Recalls & Flighted Basketball:
Tricky Wicky 3 - YouTube

Birdie Bowling:
Birdie Bowling - YouTube

Wiki
11-17-2012, 11:58 PM
So, we're right into flight recall now and I've also started doing a bit of toilet training! It's mostly work on my part, but I'm hoping to associate a particular perch or the cage with droppings, so that he will take himself to his toilet perch or cage when he needs to. It's certainly made me aware of what signs he gives when it's time to go..

Colour sorting is improving - we're at about 80% on one colour, 30% on the second colour. When he's really got it down, I'll have to post some more video.

The dog lady
11-18-2012, 12:28 PM
Hi i have just watched your videos and they are fantastic,well done to you both,its made my day:)

Wiki
11-19-2012, 06:15 AM
Glad you enjoyed them! We enjoy making them too :-)

fergus
11-19-2012, 06:43 AM
Hi,

Was wondering where did you purchase your props from?

I went to every local and online pet store that I can find. I have not found one that is budgie-sized. Especially the basketball hoop and the ball. The problem with the online stores that I found on amazon and ebay, the ball is attached to the hoop via a metal chain which makes it difficult to train my budgies to fetch the ball. While the others are just too big for a budgie. So I had to crush a small piece of paper and use a cup to teach them.

Your bowling ball trick is simply amazing. Must teach my budgie to do that. Lol.

Please tell me where to get these budgie size props.

Nokota
11-19-2012, 11:05 AM
Toilet training!?

I heard that was impossible for budgies! It certainly would be with my Peeper, who is hand-tame but could care less about humans or pleasing them or interacting with them...

Wiki
11-20-2012, 01:42 AM
Was wondering where did you purchase your props from?

It's always tricky knowing what's budgie sized, isn't it? If anyone wants some of these props, I'm happy to help you get them!

The little basket came from South Australian Bird Company - they've got some great kit. They'll sell & post to anyone in Australia, but they're not ready to sell online or to overseas. They have a large selection of toys and DIY toy parts which are great for budgies (I have tiny cups, maracas all sorts of things!). I grab their parrot foot toys which are about the right size for budgies. They also have the Zoo-Max toys (which are budgie sized) and a few nice play gyms and a "fitness centre: which comes with a barbell and a basketball ring.

The slinky I can get my hands on easily - they're from my local supermarket. The ball I use for fetch is actually one of those perch toys with the small balls that spins - I took the ball out of that, as most cat balls are too big. The bowling set I got from ebay and replaced the ball bearing with a small marble.

If you're interested in a basketball set like mine, I can have a hunt around and source the parts and put a couple together to post? Happy to do that!

Toilet training!?

I heard that was impossible for budgies!
I think it's maybe just challenging because they go so often and have such fast metabolisms!

He's got the hang of "when I put you on the perch, if you go to the toilet now, I'll pick you up again" :-) I started by taking him out of the cage first thing, and putting him onto the perch until he's done it, then we go to having fun. As that's usually the first thing they do when they are uncovered in the morning, so it's easy to get the association happening.

Now we've associated the place with the action, I can keep the "potty perch" close at hand, and watch for the signs / times when he's due to go, then put him on the perch to do it - and with the previous association, he knows that if he goes, I'll pick him up again. So we're actually doing quite well :-)

The aim is to get him so closely associating the perch with the action that he chooses to go there, rather than waiting for me to put him there and pick him up again. It's all a bit of an experiment. There's no cue words (so he doesn't hold it in), and he still uses his cage as usual.

fergus
11-20-2012, 02:11 AM
It's always tricky knowing what's budgie sized, isn't it? If anyone wants some of these props, I'm happy to help you get them!

The little basket came from South Australian Bird Company - they've got some great kit. They'll sell & post to anyone in Australia, but they're not ready to sell online or to overseas. They have a large selection of toys and DIY toy parts which are great for budgies (I have tiny cups, maracas all sorts of things!). I grab their parrot foot toys which are about the right size for budgies. They also have the Zoo-Max toys (which are budgie sized) and a few nice play gyms and a "fitness centre: which comes with a barbell and a basketball ring.

The slinky I can get my hands on easily - they're from my local supermarket. The ball I use for fetch is actually one of those perch toys with the small balls that spins - I took the ball out of that, as most cat balls are too big. The bowling set I got from ebay and replaced the ball bearing with a small marble.

If you're interested in a basketball set like mine, I can have a hunt around and source the parts and put a couple together to post? Happy to do that!

Omg! If that is possible, that will be great. Thank you so much.

Just wondering how do I make payment to you, via paypal?

The thing is I am leaving Perth on 24th November, right after my exams. Than I will be coming back the following year February. I was wondering if it is not too much of a trouble, would you be able to post it to Singapore for me?

I love to have 2 X of your basketball sets and 2 X bowling sets :D

Just curious, approximately how much will that be if not inclusive of the postage cost?

Thanks a bunch!

Regards

Fergus

Wiki
11-20-2012, 05:03 PM
Omg! If that is possible, that will be great. Thank you so much.

Bowling is on ebay - this is the one I bought. It's not cheap, but it is just the right size and there's a lot of detail in it:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400320696569

You'll need to replace the ball with a glass marble, as the ball bearing is too big for them to push and is a mirrored surface, so it's distracting. You could grab one from there and have it posted straight home to Singapore.

I've got 2 of the little balls spare in my kit, so I can pick up a couple of basketball kits in town next Tuesday, and then post it anywhere you like. PM me an address and I'll work out the postage (should be cheap - they're very light) and we can have a crack at Paypal. The balls are light enough for them to fly with as well.

I'll try and put together a few more kits and organize it on ebay down the track to make it a bit easier :D

Lisa P.
11-20-2012, 09:21 PM
I love your training videos, they are a great inspiration to us all I think!

Lisa

fergus
11-21-2012, 01:50 PM
Bowling is on ebay - this is the one I bought. It's not cheap, but it is just the right size and there's a lot of detail in it:
http://cgi.ebay.com.au/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=400320696569

You'll need to replace the ball with a glass marble, as the ball bearing is too big for them to push and is a mirrored surface, so it's distracting. You could grab one from there and have it posted straight home to Singapore.

I've got 2 of the little balls spare in my kit, so I can pick up a couple of basketball kits in town next Tuesday, and then post it anywhere you like. PM me an address and I'll work out the postage (should be cheap - they're very light) and we can have a crack at Paypal. The balls are light enough for them to fly with as well.

I'll try and put together a few more kits and organize it on ebay down the track to make it a bit easier :D

Hi,

I like to apologize for the late reply, got to study for my exams:(

Nice I never really though of going down the kids section to look for toys. You are so smart! :)

Woohoo! I am gonna have my own basket set. At least I can keep 1 set for myself and give the other set to my girlfriend.

Sure I will pm you my address now. I don't mind either, ebay or Paypal is fine with me :) I trust Australians, very honest bunch of people! :D I lost my wallet and handphone a few times, I always get it back. :)

Wiki
11-29-2012, 07:37 AM
Okay, if anyone else wants a little net and a budgie-sized ball which can be held while flying, PM me. I have a few put together now ready to go :-)

xristos
12-05-2012, 02:17 PM
Those are great videos. Good job!!

Wiki
12-24-2012, 08:19 AM
Just in time for Christmas it's the next video in the Tricky Wiki series, "Tricky Wiki 4: The Budgie Strikes Back": http://youtu.be/DqYqi_JS7ko

I hope you enjoy what we've been up to.. there's a special present at the very end :D

Merry Christmas!

Wiki
02-17-2013, 02:10 AM
Wiki and I have been working on the "wings" trick, quite diligently and we're finally making headway! Wings is where they lift up their wings for you on cue.

I've stayed away from the "direct" approach which Michael at trainedparrot.com uses for this one, instead working on putting his natural behaviour on cue. It means that it's taken a lot longer, but I think it works better for the little guys who don't really like to be poked in the armpits (wingpits?).

So for the last few weeks, I've stashed the clicker and rewards near his favourite "nap" perches, and then when I come see him and he stretches his wings back, I've been marking that with the clicker, the command "wings" and a reward.

The breakthrough for me came when I increased the frequency of these sessions over the last week, during which I realised that he's paying more attention to my hand signals, and that my words were confusing him more! So I've just gone to hand signals only, or using a verbal only on the "wings" trick.

Stay tuned - now that we're into the stage of getting the frequency of performing the trick up with his wave and turn, and trying to keep those three separate. That is tricky, since being a typical hyperspeedy budgie, he's so quick and ready for his reward that he'll start dishing up everything in his behavioural trick repertoire to hurry me along.

Wiki
02-21-2013, 06:12 AM
.. and here it is, the latest video installment: Wiki Earns His Wings (http://youtu.be/I6Lj0N6kQes)

Wiki
03-20-2013, 02:25 AM
We've been comparing parrots over at trainedparrot.com, so I wanted to share with you a short little "quick trick" using the Zoo Max Psitta Puzzle Teach Box, so you can see the difference between the way it looks when our birds do it, compared to larger species.

First, here's Bubba's go:
http://youtu.be/s1VUCWssv8g

Here's Wiki doing the same thing:
http://youtu.be/_o22Mnygk78

Budgie enthusiasm is just beautiful!

(Yes, Wiki got a bit put off by a sulphur crested cockatoo screeching on a fly by.. :D)

LynandIndigo
03-20-2013, 05:27 AM
Wow you have done a fantastic job you have smart budgie and parrot. Where did you find those things ill have to look around for small things to put into a box. Do you think Indi can do this. Indi is in one those moods at the moment with breeding season on he has a thing for his bell it is his comfort bell. If i use little pellets for treats for teaching him a trick maybe indi can do this to. Indi knows his way around the house and he flys from the lounge room to his cage. Do you think Indi can do this. but it looks hard to do can i do this to teach Indi

AnimalKaperz
03-20-2013, 05:55 AM
Wiki RULZ! I love all his video's. He's so clever and you are a brilliant trainer!

Wiki
03-20-2013, 06:15 AM
The rings colour sorter and the teach box are zoo max toys, and many other training things, food, toys, foraging things etc. can be bought here:
http://www.parrotrescuecentre.com/ubg/shop_prod.php?cat=20
(supporting the PRC at the same time!) Budgies need the small size.

Lyn: I think Indi would respond very well to clicker training, as he loves to do things and is quite tame. Maybe we can do a clicker Skype meeting one day and I can show you how to start!

Lynda: thanks :) I think he's pretty smart, and I believe all our little ones are just as clever as the big guys. It's our mission to prove it!

Budgiekeet
03-20-2013, 08:09 AM
Another awe inspiring moment brought to you by Wiki and Ann Marie!. you two are incredible.

FaeryBee
03-20-2013, 07:18 PM
:iagree: I TOTALLY agree with Rick! You and Wiki are quite AMAZING.

SPBudgie
04-03-2013, 10:12 AM
AnnMarie - I am absolutely "Bowled Over" by Wiki's talents, and your prowess as his trainer - Just Brilliant!

Feline Ferocity
04-03-2013, 11:36 AM
Wow that is some fantastic training, and it has inspired me to train Freki some more. I can recall him from 10ft away but thats about it, oh and he can ring the bell when he wants to come out the cage for playtime. :D

I don't know how i managed to train him without clicker training tho... it didn't take that long either, he's really smart and i want to see exactly how smart he really is. He has so much potential

Oh yeah and he knows not to "scream" haha

Wiki
04-03-2013, 05:18 PM
There's nothing magic about the clicker, it's just an extra clear message that allows precision of reinforcement. You're probably using another reinforcer - for example, ringing the bell to come out, each time you take him out for ringing the bell, you reinforce the behaviour with the reward. Or if each time you recall, you give him something he wants - interaction, treats, special praise, company, then you're reinforcing that.

The other way of looking at it is that your bird is training you :). Birds are excellent at using negative reinforcement (where we do things to avoid a negative consequence) on us - and punishment (where things we do produce a negative consequence). Screaming is a very strong negative reinforcer for us, and works very effectively for both those situations. If you take Freki out to stop him incessantly ringing the bell, then he is training you with negative reinforcement :)

RiverSong
04-10-2013, 02:23 AM
I really enjoy your videos!!! Keep 'em coming!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Wiki
04-10-2013, 02:51 AM
Thank you! Will do :)

Lisa P.
04-10-2013, 12:10 PM
Wiki is adorable and very talented!

Lisa

Wiki
05-19-2013, 09:26 AM
Just keeping this thread up to date, as other threads get closed off:

Here's the full length version of our entry for the TB 2013 Bird Show:

Wiki's Trick Medley (Extended Remix) - YouTube

Why the full thing?

Well, the interesting thing is that this was done in one take, and on the first take. I just kept going and trying to keep Wiki focused on the task. It's also a demonstration of the use of variable rewarding (which I'm not very good at - I have a lot to learn about keeping the focus on task better!).

It's actually edited down from 6-7 minutes of playing - he just kept doing whatever he wanted, rather than what I asked, to see if he could get me to give him a reward :D Based on that, I just started giving him random things to do based on what props he chose. I think it's fair play!

My husband (who was filming) said some people wouldn't believe it if they didn't see it - the way that Wiki and I communicate with each other. Wiki understands what I am asking him to do, and I understand what he wants. If he asks Wiki to do things in the same way, Wiki will do it for him, too - I think I'll have to film that, next.

Tricks in this medley:
Recall / Targeted flying
Turn Around
Wave
Wings
Bowling
Slinky spring run
Basketball, 2 hoops
Teach box shapes
Flighted Basketball - from bench and floor
Coin in pot
Bat
Colour sorter

(Yes, it's almost his entire repertoire - the only tricks missing are bell ringing, picking up odd props (screwdrivers, cups, maracas) and targeting stick.)

Budgiekeet
05-19-2013, 09:50 AM
I love to watch you two. You are both so talented. I expect you will be next on the Today show :D Good luck in the Talent show!!!

SPBudgie
05-19-2013, 11:27 AM
Absolutely Brilliant! Love to watch the Two of you!!!

Wiki
05-20-2013, 03:13 AM
Thanks Rick & Ollie! I'm glad you enjoyed it :). He's such a good bird!

LynandIndigo
05-20-2013, 07:50 AM
AnnMarie your budgie is really talented you did a good job training him must of took a long time to do. Do you think that I can train Indi like that. I d love Indi to do tricks like your budgie does i spend a lot of time with Indi and if i can get him to do the tricks wow that would be great. Then everyone can see once he learns. Can Indi do this?

sheeshshe
05-20-2013, 01:35 PM
Well done WIki!!!! You're the best!

I wish I could train chili to do it. She's just a scardey cat :)

Wiki
05-20-2013, 05:38 PM
I really want to encourage anyone who wants to try this to go for it - our birds are very bright, and I'd love to see more trained budgies out there! It doesn't take a lot of time, it's a stack of fun, and it really does work!

Wiki
06-01-2013, 10:02 AM
Well, I bought something to use, so we can now add the slide (or a slippery dip we would call it over here..) to Wiki's list of tricks :D

http://youtu.be/fpFWjttcgUk

Budgiekeet
06-01-2013, 10:21 AM
It says processing check back later. I can't wait to see :).

Wiki
06-01-2013, 10:22 AM
It's up now!

Budgiekeet
06-01-2013, 10:43 AM
Wow you two are amazing. How big of a slide are you thinking? 2 feet, 3 feet? I love to watch you and wiki :D:D:D

Wiki
06-01-2013, 11:05 AM
Wow you two are amazing. How big of a slide are you thinking? 2 feet, 3 feet? I love to watch you and wiki :D:D:D

I'd like something maybe like this one with Duke the budgie using it:
http://youtu.be/aLvxWsoiAmc

Will have to get "handy" :D

Budgiekeet
06-01-2013, 11:19 AM
That would be really easy to make. I cant wait to see more :).

Wiki
09-01-2013, 10:45 AM
So, I wrote a review of the (excellent) book by Parrot Wizard, Michael Sazhin - my inspiration for starting on this journey in the first place! My reward included an appropriately sized magnetic dartboard which we've been playing with, and the results are here:

http://youtu.be/NZJuZQ4wXs0

SPBudgie
09-01-2013, 04:03 PM
AnnMarie! You and Wiki are Awesome!!! I laughed out loud in fun admiration - Bravo! Just Wonderful!!!

BudgieSweet
09-01-2013, 04:07 PM
OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!! Cuteness overload!!!!!
<3 <3

Wiki
09-01-2013, 05:49 PM
AnnMarie! You and Wiki are Awesome!!! I laughed out loud in fun admiration - Bravo! Just Wonderful!!!
So glad you enjoyed it - I think it's useful to show a bit of the evolution of training, just so people who are trying clicker training can see how see things work. The hard part was separating it from "fetch" for him!

OH MY GOODNESS!!!!!! Cuteness overload!!!!!
<3 <3
Yeah, he's pretty cute. Just don't tell him :D

Wiki
10-21-2013, 04:49 PM
Just an update to say there's a new trick in progress. It's a bit more of a challenge for him, as it's going to ask him to do two things in sequence. First, a fetch to a location, then something new.

I am so very amazed by Wiki every time we start something new - it's only taken him 20 minutes to go from being uncertain about his new prop to getting the gist of what I'm asking m to do with it. I've used colour discrimination to help him use the correct part, which will help me shape the trick a bit better.

So we come to the fetch and place part of the trick next, which should be fairly straightforward - depending on what prop I use for that part of the trick.

More to come!