fluffed up budgie [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: fluffed up budgie

ezaa
04-16-2007, 09:06 AM
my budgie fluffs up more than 15 times a day, is it normal? what does it mean?

can anyone help please!!!

sammy2850
04-16-2007, 09:28 AM
i dont know my budgie never fluffs up except when asleep.

Keet1976
04-16-2007, 10:09 AM
I am no expert but from what I know as long as he/she isn't staying fluffed up it should be normal. Birds like to fluff or ruffle their feathers, some more than others.

clifff123
04-16-2007, 11:01 AM
Is it cold in your house?

Saz
04-16-2007, 11:44 AM
Well, it's usually normal. Both of my budgies love to fluff up and shake out their feathers, and if it's cold then they'll stay fluffed up for a bit.

My boyfirend had a budgie who stayed fluffed up for long periods of time, and it turned out that she was sick, and shortly after she died.

If your bird stays fluffed up for a long time, please take it to a vet and have it checked out.
But if it just fluffs up every now and then, I wouldn't worry too much, they just love doing that =3

ezaa
04-16-2007, 01:30 PM
noooooooooooo, my budgie doesnt stay fluffed up it just does it for 1-2 seconds and my house is really warm, it is never cold in my house, arabs hate being cold so put apart having a cold home for an arab would be a disgrace. any way, it usually fluffs up when it sees me or after i finish stoking it. just wanted to ask if it was normal for it as it fluffs up a lot.

Saz
04-16-2007, 01:37 PM
Aww ^_^ Your birdie sound like it's just fine then!
They fluff up to get their feathers back into the right order, just like when our hair is out of place and we go and fix it. They also do it to shake out older feathers that have de-tached.

Zazu_Love
04-16-2007, 02:40 PM
That sounds normal. As Saz said, your bird could be fixing his feathers or this can also be a heat release technique. As budgies do not have sweat glands they release their body heat by fluffing up and shaking their feathers out.

Please note that this is not the same as your bird being overheated. An overheated bird will hold their wings away from their body and pant.

If your bird stays fluffed, it means that it is trying to conserve body heat by trapping warmth beneath the feathers. This is because of illness or low temperatures.

Hope that helps!

softie
04-16-2007, 02:55 PM
When budgies do feel chilly, they will fluff up their feathers and trap air inbetween, that later gets warm from their body heat. Sort of like a wet suit. :)

Budgies will also shake their feathers after preening, befor sleeping, and to shake some dust off their bodies.

Sometimes, budgies will also fluff up when they feel content.

ezaa
04-16-2007, 04:53 PM
thank you

i can be sure now that my budgie is ok
:thumbsup: :happy4: :clap: :party10: :ugh2: :jumping1: