Budgie not drinking?! [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Budgie not drinking?!

Olivias'Jazz
03-22-2012, 03:51 PM
Its Pickles, I got him on Monday, And I havent seen him drink what-so-ever!

Im really worried! I dont want him dying of dehydration!

I have switched from water pots, to fountains then back to a pot, Its right next to him and I change it twice a day!

Please Help!

Thanks in advance

~ Olivia xxx

pinksand
03-22-2012, 04:09 PM
I really don't think you have to be worried... budgies drink very little water throughout the day. My guess is that Pickles is sneaking a drink when you aren't looking. It's very typical for owners of new birds to have this concern but trust me, this question comes up ALL the time and I don't think anyone's new bird has died from dehydration. If he needs a drink he'll take a little sip and you won't even notice a difference in the water level. My recommendation would be to stop switching between the fountain and the pot. Stick with one so that he will get used to it. Consistency is very important with new birds so they learn to be comfortable in their new surroundings.

Olivias'Jazz
03-22-2012, 04:26 PM
Thanks very much!

I switched them because at first I had the pot, but then I switched to a water fountain because I thought he would be used to that as thats what pet shops generally put water in, then I had to switch back to the pot because the fountain was leaking all over the cage floor!

This has settled my nerves a bit more, So thanks, Its just the thought of not seeing him drink that is worrying me! (:

Thank you!

Olivia xxx

Ratorr
03-22-2012, 04:31 PM
Don't worry too much about it. He'll drink when he's thirsty. Like Bethany said, he's probably taking a quick sip when you're not looking. It took me days before I noticed mine taking a drink. It took all of 4 seconds for her to hop to the water tray, take a drink, and hop back up like nothing happened. If I hadn't been looking over my shoulder at that moment I would have missed it.

FaeryBee
03-22-2012, 05:03 PM
Olivia,
You've received very good advice. Many times you won't see your budgie drink for days. ;)

By the way, when you offer him a bath -- that's when you'll see him drink! :laughing1:

equi
03-22-2012, 06:46 PM
I have had my hen for nearly a year and i have never seen her drink. She's obviously drinking or she would be dead, but my cock drinks after every meal. So dont be worried. Just look out for signs of dehydration such as weakness.