Pomogranate seed harmful for budgies? [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Pomogranate seed harmful for budgies?

reenzz
09-03-2011, 02:28 AM
since fruit seeds are harmful to budgies and musnt be fed,i was wondering if pomogranate is safe for them.

FeatheryAngel
09-03-2011, 02:34 AM
Birds can eat pomegranate, from what I have heard. :)

reenzz
09-03-2011, 05:19 AM
i guess so.ive even seen many people offer it to them .but the seed of the fruit is what concerns me.And its ridiculous to get rid of them

Erika
09-03-2011, 05:38 AM
Ive tried researching this online before, but didnt come up with any info on it... i would be interested to see if it is ok too.
Ive seen port lincoln parrots (like an australian ringneck) eat them, as well as singing honeyeaters - we have a pomegranite plant in the front garden - so im pretty sure it would be fine for budgies. But i would like to know for definite before i advise it :)

reenzz
09-03-2011, 05:50 AM
i was going to feed them pomogranates today,but ended up eating them myself since i wasnt sure if it was entirely safe for them

HungryBird
09-03-2011, 08:25 AM
I think they are fine. Many people give them to their birds.

moonlitmaverick
09-03-2011, 10:12 AM
perhaps you could give just a few ( 10-15 grains ) to the budgies. see which of your budgies ate them. wait for a few days. if all is fine and no strange behavior or change in poop, is noticed, serve larger quantities.

reenzz
09-03-2011, 01:08 PM
perhaps you could give just a few ( 10-15 grains ) to the budgies. see which of your budgies ate them. wait for a few days. if all is fine and no strange behavior or change in poop, is noticed, serve larger quantities.

Its not about them not eating the fruits.I think the pomogranate seeds may be harmful.I dont want to risk feeding them something which im unsure about and then having them fall ill

reenzz
09-03-2011, 01:09 PM
I think they are fine. Many people give them to their birds.

I guess so

akane
09-03-2011, 03:21 PM
The seeds of a pomegranate are the fruit. That's the part you eat and feed to the animals.

moonlitmaverick
09-03-2011, 04:09 PM
Its not about them not eating the fruits.I think the pomogranate seeds may be harmful.I dont want to risk feeding them something which im unsure about and then having them fall ill

I know what you mean. I read online that it is safe to give budgies pomegranates.

here is one link. read the answer to question 6.
http://www.letstalkbirds.com/budgie.htm

at any rate just give them very few ( a tablespoon ) of the red pulps ( called arils ) that contain the seed of the pomegranate and see for a few days if they are okay after eating them.

FaeryBee
09-03-2011, 04:11 PM
In researching your question, I found the following with regard to budgies:

Source
Taken directly from:
http://www.justbajan.com/pets/birds/spec…

You can offer your budgies apples, grapes, guava, mango, orange, pomegranate, watermelon, blanched or grated carrots and green leafy vegetables such as lettuce and spinach. However, do not feed them cabbage, as cabbage will make your budgie sick. Some other foods to avoid are chocolate, avocado, beans, croton, eggplant, raw peanuts, apple seeds, raw potatoes and asparagus.

And this with regard to cockatiels:

Source:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cockatiel_(aviculture)
Fruit (except avocados which are toxic): all apple varieties, bananas, all berries varieties, all citrus varieties, grapes, kiwifruit, mango, melons, nectarine, papaya, peach, all pear varieties, plum, starfruit. Pits and seeds from every citrus and drupe species must always be discarded as they are toxic. However, achenes and tiny seeds from pseudo and true berries (bananas, blueberries, elderberries, eggplants, persimmons, pomegranates, raspberries, strawberries, tomatoes) are all okay

I'm not sure if that helps in any way or not!

reenzz
09-04-2011, 04:50 AM
Thankyou everyone!i gave them a little today

Erika
09-04-2011, 09:56 AM
Aww i cant give you karma again yet deb... but thats a great post :) thanks!