How do budgies sleep? [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: How do budgies sleep?

DKNIGHT808
08-30-2011, 12:05 AM
I always cover my cage at night, but how do they sleep? do they hang their head down, or what?

Degar247
08-30-2011, 12:09 AM
mine'll usually tuck their head behind their wing, and put one foot up. But it really depends on the bird.

If you're ever home during the day you may catch them during a midday nap. That's usually when I see mine sleeping

Shahzadi
08-30-2011, 12:12 AM
Budgies will sleep in all different positions...here are the common ways:

-with one foot up
-head turned and tucked into back feathers with or without foot up
-just sitting, eyes closed both feet down

And other odd ways some like to sleep are:

-hanging from cage bars
-upside down
-the highest place they can find (for some of mine that would be the very top of the swing)

and more...:D

DKNIGHT808
08-30-2011, 12:12 AM
mickey had his head hung down but his eyes were open according to mom, is this normal?

Shahzadi
08-30-2011, 12:14 AM
mickey had his head hung down but his eyes were open according to mom, is this normal?

I don't think budgies are very deep sleepers. When you're not looking and his blanket is down he most likely sleeps with both eyes closed...:p

akane
08-30-2011, 12:45 AM
However they want. When we had the cages in the bedroom and didn't cover them the birds would all cram in to the corners nearest us when the lights went out and sleep hanging on the bars all smashed together. I occasionally still find one sleeping on the bars. Most sleep on their perches. Our birds that are not in opposite gender pairs have fuzzy huts to sleep in (hens with mates may turn them in to nests). I don't know if budgies ever do it but I have seen lineolated parakeets sleep hanging upside down.

i love Budgie
08-30-2011, 02:50 AM
Mine just sleep on a perch or upright on the cage bars, guess mine are boring :gigge:

Sam The Budgie
08-30-2011, 03:59 AM
Sam tucks her head in her wing and stands on one foot. :)

carlat187
08-30-2011, 06:28 AM
Kermit sleeps with both feet on pearch with eyes shut but i dont think they r deep sleepers like someone meantiond as he quite often has a eye open now and again but yet my other budgie kiki she sleeps with her head tucked up unda her wing with the foot up

Val1948
08-30-2011, 08:53 AM
Our's sleep in different ways, usally have 1 foot up We do cover ours at night, we have ours in the computer room and when we watch TV they make little noises, the minute we turn the TV off they are quiet. I love it. LOL

FaeryBee
08-30-2011, 02:30 PM
Take a look at this thread and you'll see a bunch of interesting positions! :giggle:

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=55114

LadyPhoenix
09-05-2011, 04:24 AM
My bird sleeps however he pleases. He seems to be perfectly happy sleeping while hanging off the cage bars. I can't imagine that as being comfortable, but he doesn't like to sleep anywhere else! He's rejected the swing and higher perches.

ShannonH1984
09-05-2011, 05:27 AM
Aja and Azul sleep on there perches upright. But my other 8 as of tonight have started sleeping clinging to the side of the cage :nuts: I know their fine, but it makes me cringe it looks so uncomfortable :whatever:

furandfeathers
09-06-2011, 09:39 PM
Sky tucks her beak into her feathers, Cloud sorta hangs her head down and closes her eyes. Sometimes they continue to chirp while they doze.....so sweet. My dear little Bunting used to go up into the "attic" of her cage, and not hop down til morning.

MaximotheMacaw
09-06-2011, 09:59 PM
Sometimes Promise sleeps on the very top of her toy/swing. But it depends on how her cage is setup. The way she currently sleeps is head tucked back.

Lennybird
09-06-2011, 11:32 PM
Lenny and Carl will each take a side at the top of the swing (which, fortunately for their feet, is made of rope and wood) for the night, tuck their heads under their wings and stand on one foot for the night. If they take naps during the day, they will sleep on the rope perch. When Carl naps, he chatters away in his sleep, but both are quiet at night.