i want to stay in cage [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: i want to stay in cage

parakeet2007
03-06-2007, 08:50 AM
hello, i have one male budgie in a fairy large cage, and when ever i want to take him out i have to take off the top of the the cage. because he refuses to come out of the door. but once he outside the cage every time i take a step away from the cage he turns around and flys back to the cage. moving the cage to the bathroom isnt real practical for me. so i was wondering if anyone had any ideas on how to get my budgie to be less afraid of the world outised my cage?

thanks

clifff123
03-06-2007, 09:05 AM
How long have you had your budgie, it takes some time to get use to its surroundings

softie
03-06-2007, 10:24 AM
Most budgies will be afraid to leave their cage. The cage is where they feel safest. Most owners find luring a budgie out of the cage works best by using a small peice of millet.

What you need is patience. Perch your budgie on your finger inside the cage and very, very slowly, draw him closer to the door. Once you are confident enough, quickly swipe him out. It is better if your budgie is facing you, rather than the perches.

This is not guaranteed to work but it has with my budgies.

One of the best ways to get a budgie out of the cage is by getting your budgie to know you first. With my newest budgie, Suzie, I brought her home and spent about two hours with her, getting use to me. I did not place her inside the cage until two hours later of bringing her home.

Suzie comes out of her cage very easily. All I have to do is open the cage, perch her on my finger and she doesn't even fight it. Of course, I'm not sure if the technique was working or if Suzie is just that type of budgie.

Whatever works, I personally know how hard it is to take a budgie out of the cage. My first two boys have been with me for over 6 months and it is just now that they are leaving the cage on their own.

IslandBudgies
03-06-2007, 01:22 PM
I leave the cage door open for hours, so that they don't associate the door opening with something different happening, some days they come out and some they don't, but once they do they go right on top of theit cage so try leaving the top on and opening the door. He may be more comfortable on top of his cage nice and high, just be let him get used to it, and try a millet treat outside the cage. Tango will sit up there all day, it's getting him in thats the fun part.

Cariadlawn
03-06-2007, 08:20 PM
For some reason my budgies will go anywhere on a perch, but they don't feel as comfortable on my finger. They will happily sit on my finger if it is still (or moving *very* slowly), but otherwise it freaks them out. Maybe the finger feels less stable to them. Taking them out on the perch is the only way they are comfortable coming out of the cage. It actually works out great, because when they're tired of being outside their home, they just look for the perch and hop on because they know it will go back to the cage. It took a couple tries before they cared to stay outside the cage for any length of time, but now they don't try to get back to it unless they're tired out. I was about to post a message just like yours until I thought of trying the perch :-)

I also found that repeatedly preventing my budgies from going back to the cage (by getting them to step up over and over, not by grabbing or anything) helped them get used to the idea of being outside. As long as you're gentle and encouraging they'll learn that they're perfectly safe outside their home. If they've been out a while and want to go back, then I help them get back in. Mine have clipped wings, so it's probably a bit different if your bird can fly.

parakeet2007
03-06-2007, 10:49 PM
ok, but now that i try and take him out of his cage slowly, once he relizes what i am trying to do then he doesnt trust me.

thanks

roman
03-08-2007, 05:10 PM
how long have you had him? i know that when i got a nice big cage skie didn't want to leave it at all

kiwi the new guy still doesn't like to leave the cage too much and he is still getting used to my finger

ive had him for a week now

it take alot of time

Nancy
03-08-2007, 09:30 PM
I've had Sugar for 9 mo. and he still hates coming out of his cage. He acts just like your bird. I work with him every day but he is just not interested in coming out.

Anja12
03-09-2007, 07:40 AM
When my budgies were alone, they didnīt want to come out and play either.
Now, living in their flock, they come out immediately when I open the avairy doors in the morning. :D

I think, itīs the same with us humans: Shopping or taking a walk is much more fun when you are not alone. :rolleyes:

budgieluver
03-09-2007, 12:22 PM
i have the same problem with logan, of course im at school 5 days a week and i dont leave him out of his cage while im out of my room. but at night im moslty in my room. so i let him fly around then. but cages for budgies...is like a safe zone for them...thats where they feel safe .

CountryGirl68
03-10-2007, 09:53 AM
My budgies were the same way - they felt safest in their cage and would refuse to come out. Then I added some rope perches and toys: near the cage door (so they could see them) and along the side of the cage. That did the trick. Now, they chirp like crazy to be let out and it can be a problem at night to get them back in! lol. They go out on the door and climb their way to the top of the cage using the perches. Sometimes, one will stay inside the cage while the other is outside and play together that way.

I think that once I made the outside of the cage look a little like the inside, they felt more comfortable being outside.

missmeri
03-10-2007, 04:03 PM
I've had the same exact problem. I have to take the top off and get my 2 boys out that way, rather than grabbing and pulling them out of the door. I've had Nugget for about 3 weeks and Jack-Jack for a month longer. They are happy outside of the cage, as long as they are in another room. Once they are in the room with the cage, they immediately fly back to it. I too leave the door open as long as I'm home, but they refuse to come out. I hope they get brave and want to come out on their own. It's discouraging to have to force them out when I want company. I wish they would just come over to me for once.