What kind of vegies or fruit do budgies like? [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: What kind of vegies or fruit do budgies like?

Bee
04-30-2006, 09:41 PM
What kind of other things will budgies eat? Other than seeds. I give my budgie regular budgie food, some wierd toppings of coconut and rasberries. Also I give him some stuff that has grains and vegetables in it. What kind of fresh stuff do they like to eat? Or other things?

Joey
04-30-2006, 09:47 PM
My budgies love everything,I feed them Strawberies,Romaine lettuce,Water Melon,Grapes,Carrots,Boiled eggs,and bagels.

Bee
04-30-2006, 09:49 PM
Wow, that is everything :p

Debby
04-30-2006, 10:15 PM
Tiki loves celery, grapes, apples, bananas, oranges and lettuce.

Bea
04-30-2006, 11:39 PM
Be careful with celery and lettuce, they're both very watery and give budgies the runs. Also be careful with any citrus as too much can upset your budgies tummy. Try not to feed too much bread type foods as they're high fat and not healthy for your budgie. If you want to feed bread it should be wholemeal/whoegrain. I believe there is a type of grape which has caused problems in budgies but i can't remember the type. Fruit should be kept as a treat because it's high in sugar.

Some good veggies you can feed are:
- brocolli
- sweet corn
- bok choy
- endive
- spinach
- carrot
- snow pea sprouts
- kale
- cooked potato
- cooked sweet potato
- cauliflower
- cooked pumkin

You can make up some veggie slush for your budgie with lots of different types of boiled veggies all blended together. Blinkie loves it.

Mistyoriline
05-01-2006, 10:47 AM
Yea I put veggies in my budgies oatmeal...and they like that alot:)

Amy
05-01-2006, 10:48 AM
My budgies don't eat much veggies/fruit.

Kaytee
05-01-2006, 10:51 AM
Question......... how do you guys present the veggies and fruits to your budgies? Skewers, clips, chopped up in a bowl???

Amy
05-01-2006, 11:40 AM
That's what I want to know, and how do you make budgies eat them?!

Mistyoriline
05-01-2006, 01:29 PM
Just continue giving them the veggie or fruit everyday introducing maybe one or two at a time my budgies like the veggies cooked and chopped up at room temp. they also like it wet...lol don't ask me why once you have them trying new things it's easier and faster for them to try another fruit or veggie.....try steamed veggies....but make sure it's room temp when you serve it you can clip it to your budgies cage but some veggies like carrots the budgie is not likely to knaw on it ...hope this helps:budgie:

Amy
05-01-2006, 04:49 PM
Ok, thanks!

Bea
05-01-2006, 07:17 PM
I would start with brocolli, just poke a bit through the bars. Brocolli has never been rejected by any of my budgies. :P

Bee
05-01-2006, 07:51 PM
Thanks guys :D

Mistyoriline
05-02-2006, 07:52 PM
hey Bea how do you serve it raw or cooked and do you have any brocolli recipies?

Bea
05-02-2006, 08:54 PM
I serve it raw, they seem to prefer it that way. :)

Mavish
05-02-2006, 09:35 PM
lol! thats the only thing my budgie will TRY to eat. I think they think that it looks like little seeds.

rude-girl
05-06-2006, 03:25 PM
does it matter if ur budgie dont eat fruit n veg?

Amy
05-06-2006, 03:28 PM
Well they won't get all the vitamins they need, and their diet wouldn't be balanced.

Budgiekin
05-09-2006, 09:16 PM
My budgies will only eat cooked broccoli. (We serve it cooled though!!). We serve their carrots raw but finely grated and they love that too. :p

animal lover
01-04-2007, 04:28 PM
Hello. My little Wink loves to snack on millet spray and sugarcane sticks from PetSmart ( if you don't have this store then maybe PetCo might have these tastey treats ). Try a small piece of different fruits and vegeeies recommanded by your vet to give your little love one each day or week til you both find the ones the little guy or girl enjoys. Good luck and happy new year full of fun.

allison
01-04-2007, 05:03 PM
You guys are so lucky. When I give Sunshine fresh veggies, which I offer a couple times a week (I used to offer them everyday but was wasteing so much as she doesn't touch it) she acts like I'm trying to poison her. I try to put fresh stuff on top of her regular food and she just tosses it out. :p I would love to get her to eat some nice shreded carrots, brocolli, spinach, and apples as we have these things at our house pretty much all the time but no, she won't even taste them. Kei is taking her lead, he used to eat carrots, corn, peas, apples, and grapes but for the last week has decided he wants nothing to do with them. :mad:

softie
01-04-2007, 05:24 PM
Question......... how do you guys present the veggies and fruits to your budgies? Skewers, clips, chopped up in a bowl???

Depends on the budgie. Some budgies are picky and will only eat the vegetable if they like how it's prepared.

Best bet it to try giving your budgie all different ways and see how he likes the vegetables best. :)