Hand feeding and raising baby budgies [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Hand feeding and raising baby budgies

CuteLittleBirdies
03-20-2011, 03:05 PM
Hand feeding and raising a baby budgie is ALOT of work!

For those who are thinking of hand raising babies in the future and would like an idea of what all is involved, or who just like to look at pictures of little fluffies! :giggle: I have here what I do in raising baby budgies until they are weaned and ready for their new family! :)

Please Note:
This thread is not to encourage people without hand feeding experience to try it, but to give others an idea of all of the work that goes into it and how the babies grow and mature! :) If you are interested in hand feeding, please contact a experenced breeder or your avian vet to show and guide you on how to do it safely.
This is not something to do without guidance when you have no experience. When I started that is exactly what I did... learned from experienced ones what to do. Reading is no match for an experienced hand. It is very easy to hurt or kill a baby doing things the wrong way so please do things responsibly! :)

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z384/cutelilbirdies/Handfeeding/Babies3weeks.jpg
(3 week old babies)

Once the babies are pulled for hand feeding they need to be kept in the family room where they can get constant attention! This way they are very used to the normal activity that goes on, and are very calm and happy to be in the busiest part of the house where people are.

Each baby is with mom and dad in the nestbox until they are 3 weeks old. During this time they are getting lots of nutritious food and crop milk from mom to build up a healthy immune system and get a good start! At 21 days old I take them from the nest box and they are moved into the nursery box.

The nursery box is a simalar size to a nest box and stays warmer than the outside air by up to 10 degrees. They will stay in the nursery box for about a week or so until their feathers come in completly and they can keep themselves warm. It is filled with lots of soft shavings and sprays of millet so they can start to try cracking seeds, which is alot harder than you would think!

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z384/cutelilbirdies/Handfeeding/EmptyNurserybox.jpg
(One of my nursery boxes)

Babies very quickly dirty whatever they are in, so every day all of the babies are moved from the nursery box and it is emptied, disinfected, dried, and refilled with fresh shavings and millet.

Depending on how many babies are in the box this needs done multiple times a day to keep everything as clean and sanitary as possible to prevent bacteria from growing, which can easily make a young chick very sick.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z384/cutelilbirdies/Handfeeding/Nurserybox.jpg
(A full nursery box!)

When they are 3 weeks old they will need to be fed every 4-5 hours. This is a slow process at first as they are not used to using a spoon and need to get some practice... and it usually ends up very messy to begin with!

After each feeding the baby needs to get cleaned up, snuggled, talked to and loved. This is when they really gain trust and bond with us and is extreamly important! This bonding and careful care is what will make them grow into well adjusted, trusting and very tame adults.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z384/cutelilbirdies/Fedingchick-1.jpg
( A 3 1/2 week old baby being fed )

Hand feeding formula needs to be mixed fresh at every feeding, and needs to be at the perfect temperature! If it is too hot it will burn them, and if it is too cold they wont be able to digest it and it can make them sick. I also add pro-biotics and suppliments such as cinnamon and cayanne pepper to to the formula to keep them healthy and strong.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z384/cutelilbirdies/Handfeedingformula-1.jpg
( Mixed and ready hand feeding formula )

Each morning they need to be weighed with a digital scale, and records kept to make sure everyone is gaining weight and growing properly.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z384/cutelilbirdies/Handfeeding/DigitalScale.jpg
( 3-4 week old babies getting weighed )

When they are about 4- 4 1/2 weeks depending on the baby, fully feathered, and starting to try to climb out of the nursery box I move them into the nursery cage. Here they have lots of new foods in shalow dishes on the floor that are easy to reach, and toys to play with to keep them occupied and to explore. By this time they are getting very strong and active, and are constantly flapping their wings every day to strengethen their muscles so they can start to fly soon.

Each side of the nursrey cage is covered with plexi-glass to protect them from drafts as they are still very young at this point, and to help keep in the mess they absolutly love to make and watch me clean up!

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z384/cutelilbirdies/Handfeeding/Nurserycageforsite.jpg
( My nursery cage set up and ready for new babies )

At 4-5 weeks they really start to eat new foods and begin weaning themselves.

I abundance wean all of my babies, which means instead of taking feedings away from them to make them hungry and force them to try whatever food then have, I give them as much variety of food as possible such as pellets, veggies, egg food, fruits, whole wheat pasta, and spray millet to encourage them to eat on their own!

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z384/cutelilbirdies/Handfeeding/Babiesinabowl.jpg
( 5 week old babies eating together )

With such a variety they soon start refusing hand feedings when I offer them, and by this age depending on the baby they are usually on 2 feedings a day.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z384/cutelilbirdies/Handfeeding/Yummysforsite.jpg
( Mixed egg food with Zupreme rainbow pellets, yum!)

At 6 weeks the babies are weaned and eating lots of foods on their own. In the next two weeks after this we work on step up training, coming in and out of the cage, talking, and playing. It is also during this time I make sure they are confident in eating on their own, and taking care of themselves. They spend as much time as possible out playing with me and my husband and exploring our home safely.

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z384/cutelilbirdies/Handfeeding/Playing.jpg
(Out playing and exploring!)

After weeks of cleaning, training, feeding and lots of love they are fully weaned, confident, very at ease and bonded to people, and ready for a new home at 8 weeks of age! :)

http://i1187.photobucket.com/albums/z384/cutelilbirdies/Handfeeding/Storm.jpg
(8 week old baby)

i love Budgie
03-20-2011, 03:07 PM
Amazing thread! I think it is very useful :D Well done :D

CuteLittleBirdies
03-20-2011, 03:10 PM
Amazing thread! I think it is very useful :D Well done :D

Wow you replied fast! It was hardly up! :giggle: :D Thanks :)

p.s love your siggy its adorible :)

i love Budgie
03-20-2011, 03:11 PM
Wow you replied fast! It was hardly up! :giggle: :D Thanks :)

p.s love your siggy its adorible :)

I have super speed :spy:

I forgot to say, karma for you :)

CuteLittleBirdies
03-20-2011, 03:14 PM

I have super speed :spy:

I forgot to say, karma for you :)

Thanks for the karma! :) And yes... you must hold the world record for fastest replies dont you? :giggle:

i love Budgie
03-20-2011, 03:15 PM
Thanks for the karma! :) And yes... you must hold the world record for fastest replies dont you? :giggle:

Maybe ... I need to spread karma around so won't be a sec :)

Glyconut
03-20-2011, 03:16 PM
Love this thread, thanks for posting. Do you feed them thru the night too every 4-5 hours? Do you wait until the oldest one of the clutch is 3 weeks old or start pulling them out as they reach their 3 week mark?

CuteLittleBirdies
03-20-2011, 03:19 PM
Maybe ... I need to spread karma around so won't be a sec :)

Lol! :D

Love this thread, thanks for posting. Do you feed them thru the night too every 4-5 hours? Do you wait until the oldest one of the clutch is 3 weeks old or start pulling them out as they reach their 3 week mark?

During the night they go 8 hours without a feeding so their crop can completly empty, as their crop empties from the top first and whatever is at the bottom they digest last. This keeps them from getting what is called "sour crop" where the food at the bottom goes bad and makes them sick.

And yes I pull each one individually as they reach 3 weeks of age, sometimes it will vary a day or 2 before or after but I try and keep it to 21 days if possible :)

Thank you for looking! :D

Shahzadi
03-20-2011, 05:16 PM
Great thread, we need more stickies like these in the breeding section...would help newbie breeder a whole lot! :)

BirdCrazyJill
03-20-2011, 05:32 PM
I nominate this post to become a sticky!! :) and I love the pic with Julio and his siblings sitting in the food dish :giggle: goofballs!!

CuteLittleBirdies
03-20-2011, 05:37 PM
Great thread, we need more stickies like these in the breeding section...would help newbie breeder a whole lot! :)

Thanks! Thats actually why I made it... there are always so many people asking what ages to do things at, especially when hand feeding them and I couldnt find anything on here about it that was all in one thread :)

Hopefully it will help someone :)

I nominate this post to become a sticky!! :) and I love the pic with Julio and his siblings sitting in the food dish :giggle: goofballs!!

Thanks! :) And yes... they were always sleeping and then waking up some and eating... and sleeping again in the food dish lol! Such sillys! :p :D

nazvolt
03-20-2011, 06:08 PM
Great thread.I thought three weeks was too late to hand feed babies to be tame.

CuteLittleBirdies
03-20-2011, 06:26 PM
Great thread.I thought three weeks was too late to hand feed babies to be tame.

And 3 weeks is actually the perfect time to start, as they are stronger, their feathers are starting to come in more, and have had time with their parents to build their immune systems :) You can pull them earlier if you want to, and I have before, but honestly I noticed no difference at all in tameness ;)

They all take right to it and are very sweet and love people! They want out constantly and make the best pets in my opinion :)

my4turtles
03-20-2011, 06:26 PM
That is a amazing Thread, It has any and every bit of info in it. I have eggs in the nest at the moment and i know i will visit that thread a time or 2 haha. Is there anyway you can print it?.. Thank you so much for the time you put into it.. I hit the Karma logo so i hope i gave you good Karma...:budgie:

MySweetBudgies
03-20-2011, 07:57 PM
Thank you! I too nominate this post to be a sticky! I've been reading as much as I can over the past month about breeding budgies and this is so helpful.

I have a question please. Can you let us know where to get budgie formula and the amount you mix including the extra suplements if it were to be made for 4 babies? You mentioned cinnamon and cayanne pepper but how much should be put in?

I'm so excited that I can take the babies out and hand feed them after they are 3 weeks old. It will be about a couple months (maybe sooner) perhaps before I get any eggs but the time will be here before I know it. lol. Thanks for posting this information!

----- Kimberley Smith

SpickyDavies
03-20-2011, 08:00 PM
what a lovely thread, got to love the cute photos :D
it deos make me nervous, i'd like to remind people budgies can be perfect well balanced companions if they are parents raised
and handing rearing is not something i'd ever recommend to someone new to breeding

Lisa P.
03-20-2011, 08:06 PM
Awesome thread! Very helpful I'm sure to those raising their own little ones!

Lisa

CuteLittleBirdies
03-20-2011, 08:07 PM
That is a amazing Thread, It has any and every bit of info in it. I have eggs in the nest at the moment and i know i will visit that thread a time or 2 haha. Is there anyway you can print it?.. Thank you so much for the time you put into it.. I hit the Karma logo so i hope i gave you good Karma...:budgie:

I have never tried to print it... I am not sure? haha :o

Thank you! I too nominate this post to be a sticky! I've been reading as much as I can over the past month about breeding budgies and this is so helpful.

I have a question please. Can you let us know where to get budgie formula and the amount you mix including the extra suplements if it were to be made for 4 babies? You mentioned cinnamon and cayanne pepper but how much should be put in?

I'm so excited that I can take the babies out and hand feed them after they are 3 weeks old. It will be about a couple months (maybe sooner) perhaps before I get any eggs but the time will be here before I know it. lol. Thanks for posting this information!

----- Kimberley Smith

Do you have any experience in hand feeding? If not it is something you need help with learning and from somone that has experience with it to guide you, such as an experienced breeder or an avian vet to show you how to do it safely ;)

This post is just more to show all of the work that goes into it and I have made an edit to the beginning just so everyone understands that :D

I have been using Kaytee hand rearing formula... but am switching to Zupreme as I like what is in it better. And I just use a sprinkle of the other things I add to it just a very small amount, and the info on mixing the formula comes with the formula :)

Let me know if that answered your question ;)

handing rearing is not something i'd ever recommend to someone new to breeding

You are right Spicky! I just realized I did not put anything about that... I have made the needed changes.

I am not trying to encourage people with no experience to hand feed, that is why I did not go into hand feeding techniques, amounts to feed, temperatures etc. This post is just more to show all of the work that goes into it and I have made an edit to the beginning just so everyone understands that :D

I just wanted to give a basic overview of everything that is involved, since it is alot more work than it seems it would be :)

BirdCrazyJill
03-20-2011, 08:13 PM

See if you can try to copy all the information and paste it into a Word Document (select all the text and pictures, right click, copy, open a word doc, right click, hit paste) If that works, you can save it and print it :)

ayume
03-20-2011, 08:27 PM
Wonderful thread! Going into my favorites for sure.

AAYLLAA
03-20-2011, 08:40 PM
Wow nice post! Lots and lots of work they are. I can't even think of doing that myself.

CuteLittleBirdies
03-20-2011, 09:08 PM
Wonderful thread! Going into my favorites for sure.

Thanks! :)

Wow nice post! Lots and lots of work they are. I can't even think of doing that myself.

It is soooo much work haha :) But I love the little guys and after 10 years I can pretty much do it in my sleep lol :rolleyes:

MySweetBudgies
03-20-2011, 09:25 PM
Hi,

Thank you! Yes, yes I will be having some help from an experienced bird breeder friend. Very thankful for that otherwise I probably wouldn't be getting into this. I have been thinking about raising parakeets for many years and it's only now that I can. My friend Sandy and her husband have been raising finches, parakeets and a variety of parrots for many years. It's just that when they talk (which is usually for more than an hour) it's so hard to remember everything they say. lol. So, I'm also trying to read as much as I can, I'm gathering opionions, weighing what's best, and keeping notes. My friends have said that when the time gets closer, they'll show me in person how to hand feed a small baby. I very much do want to make sure that I know how to hand feed my future babies, esspecially if there is ever a time that mom or dad decides not to feed them. Although I can hope everything goes smoothly, I want to be prepared just in case. I can hardly wait to hold the new babies.

----- Kimberley Smith

CuteLittleBirdies
03-20-2011, 09:32 PM
Hi,

Thank you! Yes, yes I will be having some help from an experienced bird breeder friend. Very thankful for that otherwise I probably wouldn't be getting into this. I have been thinking about raising parakeets for many years and it's only now that I can. My friend Sandy and her husband have been raising finches, parakeets and a variety of parrots for many years. It's just that when they talk (which is usually for more than an hour) it's so hard to remember everything they say. lol. So, I'm also trying to read as much as I can, I'm gathering opionions, weighing what's best, and keeping notes. My friends have said that when the time gets closer, they'll show me in person how to hand feed a small baby. I very much do want to make sure that I know how to hand feed my future babies, esspecially if there is ever a time that mom or dad decides not to feed them. Although I can hope everything goes smoothly, I want to be prepared just in case. I can hardly wait to hold the new babies.

----- Kimberley Smith

That is the absolute best way to do it! Karma to you for being responsible! :)

It is not the easiest but is so much better and less stressfull too, since you will be prepared for as much as possible and ready ahead of time instead of getting yourself into it, and then doing research which some do unfortunaly.

Please let me know if I can help in any way, or if you have any other questions feel free to let me know :)

my4turtles
03-20-2011, 09:38 PM
I agree having somone to show you how to handfeed is a must. Also it will make you fill a little more relaxed when it comes time for you to do it. I have hand feed a lot of birds, eclectus , macaws al kinds and the Hrs that go into it is very long. People who think you are in it for the money are crazy haha... I think my Eclectus was the one that kept me up the most, but it was all well worth it I felt like i had a newborn baby all over again.

MySweetBudgies
03-20-2011, 10:42 PM
Thank you again. :) It's so nice that there are so many helpful experienced budgie breeders here. I have no idea how soon I'll have babies. I'm currently getting my breeding cages set up nicely and be as prepared as can.

Yesturday I bought EggFood and mineral grit (oyster shell and mineral treat by Higgins) to help get the pairs in condition. Curious, is the EggFood and mineral grit also good to give my young birds too? I'm also introducing romaine lettuce in all the cages. They still won't have anything to do with it. lol. I hope eventually they'll try it.

I have 6 females that I got from my bird breeder friends are old enough to breed. I double checked with Sandy this weekend on their age. Very happy with that. The males that are with them are also at least a year old so, perhaps next month I'll start putting up the breeding boxes and wait and see. :)

---- Kimberley Smith

CuteLittleBirdies
03-20-2011, 10:48 PM
I agree having somone to show you how to handfeed is a must. Also it will make you fill a little more relaxed when it comes time for you to do it. I have hand feed a lot of birds, eclectus , macaws al kinds and the Hrs that go into it is very long. People who think you are in it for the money are crazy haha... I think my Eclectus was the one that kept me up the most, but it was all well worth it I felt like i had a newborn baby all over again.

I could not agree with you more! It helps more than any reading possibly could and actually shows you what to do :)

I have only hand fed budgies, cockatiels, quakers and conures, and the conures... I can only imagine the work is even more with really big birds like Eclectus and Macaws :eek: I will be sticking with english budgies :giggle:

And you have got that right... my hubby is always telling me I need to start keeping track of all the hours I spend as he thinks I dont even make a dollar when it is all said and done :p

my4turtles
03-20-2011, 11:07 PM
Kimberley

You sound like your right on track and good for you for doing all this before hand. When it come to the veggies i will mix in Gala Apples as they are sweet and my budgies love that, give that a try. I have a slap chop and it gets every thing in such tiny pieces i dont think they have any idea there is veggies in there haha..

cutelilbirdies
I wonder how many hr's it would add up to for you haha..:eek:

CuteLittleBirdies
03-20-2011, 11:38 PM
Thank you again. :) It's so nice that there are so many helpful experienced budgie breeders here. I have no idea how soon I'll have babies. I'm currently getting my breeding cages set up nicely and be as prepared as can.

Yesturday I bought EggFood and mineral grit (oyster shell and mineral treat by Higgins) to help get the pairs in condition. Curious, is the EggFood and mineral grit also good to give my young birds too? I'm also introducing romaine lettuce in all the cages. They still won't have anything to do with it. lol. I hope eventually they'll try it.

I have 6 females that I got from my bird breeder friends are old enough to breed. I double checked with Sandy this weekend on their age. Very happy with that. The males that are with them are also at least a year old so, perhaps next month I'll start putting up the breeding boxes and wait and see. :)

---- Kimberley Smith

Sounds like a great set up! I dont buy egg food I make my own using this recipe http://cutelittlebirdiesaviary.wetpaint.com/page/Their+Diet

And I agree with my4turtles make everything tiny! I just throw everything in a food processor and they gobble it all down not knowing what is what so they cant be picky and choose only one thing or the other :giggle: This is especially good for birds on a seed diet as you can add pellets into it aswel and they dont even know they are eating them!

It can take quite some time before they will try something new though so keep giving it to them and they will eventually eat it ;)

Until they are eating egg food and fruits and veggies dont even bother setting them up to breed, as these things are essential for the chicks growth and they only get what mom and dad eat ;)
Without it you will have weak chicks that are prone to getting sick, and will have a very high mortality rait... it cannot be emphisized enough how important a perfect breeding diet is before they are allowed to breed :)

cutelilbirdies
I wonder how many hr's it would add up to for you haha..:eek:

Too many :eek: :giggle: I keep thinking I should keep track of it for a month and see.... but I am too scared to know the truth :D

Budgiebreeder11
03-22-2011, 02:34 PM
Sticky material! I was wondering how other people hand fed their chicks. Great step by step info.

CuteLittleBirdies
03-22-2011, 05:13 PM
Sticky material! I was wondering how other people hand fed their chicks. Great step by step info.

Thank you! :)

I have been meaning to ask you a few questions about how you handfeed if you dont mind? :)

You leave them with the parents and then feed them a time or 2 a day right... do they accept the feedings just like they were only hand fed by you, or is it more difficult since they are also being fed by their parents? And dont the parents keep them full since they are always with them, are they hungry when you go to feed them?

Are as tame as if they were solely hand fed by you, like following you around the house even after they are weaned and very bonded to people and such?

I had never heard of doing that before you had mentioned it and I am very curious as to how it makes them turn out and what you do :)

Budgiebreeder11
03-25-2011, 12:09 AM
Thanks for messaging me I didn't get a chance to get back you your thread. You have it correct. I keep the chicks in with the parents until they are weaned. I take them out once or twice a day. Starting when they are about two weeks old. It takes some getting use to but the chicks do accept my hand feeding along with the parents. I usually catch the chicks when their crop is almost if not fully empty. If they have a full crop I just handle and talk to them. After they have been weaned by the parents they usually don't want to be hand fed anymore. I still take them out once or twice a day and give them seeds instead of hand feeding them so they still associate me with food. I have found tameness depends on the chicks personalities, their personalities comes from their genes. I'm now trying to breed more tameness into my birds. Most of them I would say 95% enjoy human contact and will follow me around after they are weaned. But there is a small percentage that want nothing to do with me once they are weaned. I have also found that the chicks that aren't interested in human contact also have parents that have the same views towards humans. It's very interesting. I have never solely hand fed a chick because I'm not home all the time so I'm not sure if hand taming and the process I do have the same results. Also when I sell the chicks that have been hand fed and still want nothing to do with humans I will explain that to the customer. Those chicks usually go to a home that doesn't have children and also doesn't feel the need for a hand tame bird.

flyingfluff
03-25-2011, 12:27 AM
This was extremely interesting to read and informative. Thanks so much for putting this together!

However, I was told that cayenne pepper will actually burn the inside of their crops, and this was coming from a very reputable breeder who has been in the business for close to 30 years. So just a heads up and you can do what you want with that info. :)

CuteLittleBirdies
03-25-2011, 12:35 AM
This was extremely interesting to read and informative. Thanks so much for putting this together!

However, I was told that cayenne pepper will actually burn the inside of their crops, and this was coming from a very reputable breeder who has been in the business for close to 30 years. So just a heads up and you can do what you want with that info. :)

I have been using cayanne pepper for years with no problems, but I only use a very small sprinkle in a big thing of hand feeding formula.
I am sure that in large amounts it could probably cause problems, but in very small amounts I have never heard of anything bad about it until you mentioned it, nor experienced any myself, I have just had hundreds of healthy happy chicks with no health problems :)

I will look into it more though for sure, as I only want what is best for these little guys ;) Thank you for the information! :)

CuteLittleBirdies
03-25-2011, 12:37 AM
Thanks for messaging me I didn't get a chance to get back you your thread. You have it correct. I keep the chicks in with the parents until they are weaned. I take them out once or twice a day. Starting when they are about two weeks old. It takes some getting use to but the chicks do accept my hand feeding along with the parents. I usually catch the chicks when their crop is almost if not fully empty. If they have a full crop I just handle and talk to them. After they have been weaned by the parents they usually don't want to be hand fed anymore. I still take them out once or twice a day and give them seeds instead of hand feeding them so they still associate me with food. I have found tameness depends on the chicks personalities, their personalities comes from their genes. I'm now trying to breed more tameness into my birds. Most of them I would say 95% enjoy human contact and will follow me around after they are weaned. But there is a small percentage that want nothing to do with me once they are weaned. I have also found that the chicks that aren't interested in human contact also have parents that have the same views towards humans. It's very interesting. I have never solely hand fed a chick because I'm not home all the time so I'm not sure if hand taming and the process I do have the same results. Also when I sell the chicks that have been hand fed and still want nothing to do with humans I will explain that to the customer. Those chicks usually go to a home that doesn't have children and also doesn't feel the need for a hand tame bird.

Thank you very much for the information and your insite on this! :) I have always wondered how that worked with partially hand feeding them, and it sounds like it works out great for you :thumbsup:

I could not solely hand feed them all if it werent for my sister and hubby helping me some. It is a full time job there is no doubt about it! :)

flyingfluff
03-25-2011, 12:43 AM

---- Kimberley Smith

Are you breeding budgies or canaries/finches? Because if you breeding budgies, don't give them the grit. It can actually compound in their crop and make it hard for them to digest their food. And babies will be fed either by their parents (so they will get everything they need) or w/ handfeeding formula so they definitely don't need it. I can imagine feeding grit to baby budgies isn't very good for them.

Do feed the eggfood (or some handfeeding formula to parents once the babies hatch - lots of good nutrition!). Do feed fresh veggies and a mineral block or cuttlebone is a good source of calcium for the parents. I've also heard scraping some of the cuttlebone into their food is better because they might just play with the cuttlebone or ignore it.

flyingfluff
03-25-2011, 12:47 AM

I have been using cayanne pepper for years with no problems, but I only use a very small sprinkle in a big thing of hand feeding formula.
I am sure that in large amounts it could probably cause problems, but in very small amounts I have never heard of anything bad about it until you mentioned it, nor experienced any myself, I have just had hundreds of healthy happy chicks with no health problems :)

I will look into it more though for sure, as I only want what is best for these little guys ;) Thank you for the information! :)

Yup, that's why I mentioned to do what you want w/ the info. I figured you would have already seen problems with your babies if it wasn't good for them. Just figured I'd pass on info, just in case. Because if it's working well for you, I don't see much of a reason to change.

Budgiebreeder11
03-25-2011, 12:51 AM
Thank you very much for the information and your insite on this! I have always wondered how that worked with partially hand feeding them, and it sounds like it works out great for you

I could not solely hand feed them all if it werent for my sister and hubby helping me some. It is a full time job there is no doubt about it!

No problem at all. I have always wondered if solely hand fed chicks have the same small percentage that don't get hand tamed after weaning. Have you or any one else ever had this happen?

CuteLittleBirdies
03-25-2011, 01:06 AM
No problem at all. I have always wondered if solely hand fed chicks have the same small percentage that don't get hand tamed after weaning. Have you or any one else ever had this happen?

Honestly every one of them are very tame and love people :) Some are more shy or outgoing than others depending on their personality, but as far as tameness I dont really see any difference in them, all of them are sweet and follow me around.
Although all of my adults are calm and even though they arent "tame" they are very comfortable with me being close to them, and they dont hardly pay attention to me when I am near or taking care of their daily needs and such so maybe that is why.
But maybe I have just lucked out so far and there will be some ornrey ones coming :giggle:

I hope others will feel free to post their comments here about their hand feeding experiences! :)

CuteLittleBirdies
03-25-2011, 01:08 AM
Yup, that's why I mentioned to do what you want w/ the info. I figured you would have already seen problems with your babies if it wasn't good for them. Just figured I'd pass on info, just in case. Because if it's working well for you, I don't see much of a reason to change.

Thank you very much for mentioning it... I am going to look into it for sure as there are many with much more experience than me that may have a reason to think otherwise :) Either way I will be cautious with using it ;)

MySweetBudgies
03-26-2011, 09:59 PM
Hi,

Okay I think I really need some help learning how to hand feed earlier than I expected to. I posted the start of what went on today in the budgie health section but it now seems I just bought a baby budgie that was too young to be sold.

In short:
A week ago a friend of mine and I went into a pet store called Pet Kingdom and we were very impressed with the store. They were very clean and it was overall amazing. They didn't have any parakeets. My friend asked when they would get more in and they said next Friday which would have been the 25th. A couple days ago she called to see if they were still expeciting the babies and they said no, not for another week or two. Well, today I went to the store to pick up more water bottles I found that they had baby parakeets. I'm now wondering if those were the same babies they were expecting. All of them had stripes down to the cere. They were also being picked up by a couple people and they made no attempt to run away which I thought was strange. The store employee let me hold this little blue opaline male and I feld how skinny he was. I could feed his breast bones so easy. I felt sorry for him, bought him, and took him home. I had to try and help him. Now that I know he probably does need my help, I asked my husband if I can get the others too. They might be from the same clutch. There were only 5 of them.

To make sure he was hydrated I took an eye dropper with water. He eagery grabbed every drop. He was so thristy. I also noticed that he wasn't eating any millet or seed all day today. It dawned on me that this is why he was so skinny. That's when I posted how do I feed a thin baby parakeet. I had a reply that they thought he was less than 3 months old. More like 2 months to 6 weeks? His eyes are solid black, his baby stripes go to his cere and he is smaller than any of my parakeets. I posted a picture of the little baby below.

I just returned from Walmart. I bought Rice cereal and organic carrot baby food. I also have Egg Food. This was the suggestion to feed him to see if the little baby will eat tonight.

What are your thoughts on him? Will this be okay to feed him for a week and then try adding seed or should I get budgie formula? Poor little guy. If he really is too young it really is a shame he wasn't given a fair start in life. He's so pretty.

Other questions I have are:
How will I know if he's had enough? Will he stop on his own?

Any other suggestions to help him grow up and gain some weight?

Thanks in advance! I really hope I can help him. This little baby has learned to cuttle with me today. He snuggled up to my neck. He has no name yet but I'm trying to think of a good one.

---- Kimberley Smith

orangemelodie
03-26-2011, 10:16 PM
i have to make a comment
the shavings look like cedar, and cedar or pine shavings are very bad for most small animals (think hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, etc) because of the fumes, and we know how sensitive birds are. so the recommended for small pets is Aspen shavings.

MySweetBudgies
03-26-2011, 10:22 PM
One more quesiton to add please... what if he doesn't like the baby food mix suggested and what if he still won't eat seed? Any other food suggestions?

--- Kimberley

Marii
03-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Your tread is really helpful and I love the pics you posted, thank you for sharing your experience!

CuteLittleBirdies
03-27-2011, 12:36 AM
i have to make a comment
the shavings look like cedar, and cedar or pine shavings are very bad for most small animals (think hamsters, gerbils, guinea pigs, etc) because of the fumes, and we know how sensitive birds are. so the recommended for small pets is Aspen shavings.

Thank you for your concern :) however as I said on another thread where you had mentioned this I have been using cedar shavings for years and years with out a single one of my babies or adults having the slightest respotory problems( not even a respotory infection or sneeze even... knock on wood), and you mentioning it the last time I was the first I had ever heard of it. I know many other breeders that use it aswell with the same results.
I keep it in big bins that I air out for a couple weeks before I even use it and it has always worked fine :) However as I had said before, as soon as I run out of the bag I have of the cedar shavings I will switch over to aspen just because you mentioned that ;)

To make sure he was hydrated I took an eye dropper with water. He eagery grabbed every drop. He was so thristy. I also noticed that he wasn't eating any millet or seed all day today. It dawned on me that this is why he was so skinny. That's when I posted how do I feed a thin baby parakeet. I had a reply that they thought he was less than 3 months old. More like 2 months to 6 weeks? His eyes are solid black, his baby stripes go to his cere and he is smaller than any of my parakeets. I posted a picture of the little baby below.

I just returned from Walmart. I bought Rice cereal and organic carrot baby food. I also have Egg Food. This was the suggestion to feed him to see if the little baby will eat tonight.

What are your thoughts on him? Will this be okay to feed him for a week and then try adding seed or should I get budgie formula?

Other questions I have are:
How will I know if he's had enough? Will he stop on his own?

Any other suggestions to help him grow up and gain some weight?

Thanks in advance! I really hope I can help him. This little baby has learned to cuttle with me today. He snuggled up to my neck. He has no name yet but I'm trying to think of a good one.

---- Kimberley Smith

One more quesiton to add please... what if he doesn't like the baby food mix suggested and what if he still won't eat seed? Any other food suggestions?

--- Kimberley

Kimberly I am sorry you are in this stressfull situation!
However the baby you got looks more than old enough to be weaned, his feathers are very well grown in, and all babies keep the dark eyes and baby bands until their first moult at 4-6 months so he is younger than that :)
I would guess he is about 8 weeks old( babies that are 6 weeks old have much shorter tails that what yours has as they are still growing in at that point, I am on my phone writing this and so don't have a picture to show you what I mean) and by 6 or so weeks most babies should be fully weaned.

My guess is that he has some kind of health problems that are causing him to loose weight and not want to eat, or whoever the breeder was did not wean him properly and with the stress of beibg sold to the breeder it has caused him to revert back to baby ways. I would really suggest taking the little guy to the vet to make sure there is not something bigger than just not eating here.

However either way the best thing you can do for him is supply a constant source of low heat as birds with low body weight have a hard time keeping their temperature up. A heating pad or heat lamp works great.
For food I would make some mashed hard boiled egg and place it in a shallow dish he can easily reach, and if he will take some of the baby food you gave him that would be great too. If you can mix it with some pedyilite that will help keep him hydrated. If he won't eat seeds or hardboilled eggs, hand feeding formula is the best thing to offer him as it has more nutrients than baby food for humans and is especially formulated for birds needs. It will have instructions on it for preperation, and he should let you know when he is full refusing anymore.

Hopefully warming him up will perk his appitite and he will start to eat something! For feeding with formula you can make a hand feeding spoon with a small kitchen spoon like the one I have pictured above... just make sure you file the edges so it is smooth and won't hurt his beak or tongue.

Please let me know if that answered your questions and if there is any way I can help! :) I hope your little one is doing ok!

Your tread is really helpful and I love the pics you posted, thank you for sharing your experience!

Thank you! :) and you are very welcome ;)

CuteLittleBirdies
03-31-2011, 03:57 PM
Others can feel free to comment on their hand feeding experiences too :D

Dries
08-23-2011, 04:09 PM
Excellent thread, Lindsey! Also thanks to all the others who had their say here - especially Bridget (I think I remember the name correctly - the one who leaves the babies in the nest with the parents - quite interesting) and Kimberley.

CuteLittleBirdies
10-26-2011, 12:05 AM
Excellent thread, Lindsey! Also thanks to all the others who had their say here - especially Bridget (I think I remember the name correctly - the one who leaves the babies in the nest with the parents - quite interesting) and Kimberley.

Thanks Dries! :)