Sore near the tail [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Sore near the tail

xtremeimport
03-11-2011, 10:49 PM
my budgie has what seems to be a sore near the end of her body(where the tail feather starts) i'm not very good with bird knowledge but it seems over the past few days she has lost a lot of energy. cant fly anymore and has a hard time standing on her branch.

i know it might be to late, but if there is someway to help her i'd like to try. she also doesnt seem to be passing her bowls cleanly and i had to clear it off her body today.

i dont know where she got the sore from but it looks like it was a wound that has no scabbed over.

any help would be great. also, taking her to the vet would cost a lot and not sure if its worth it with her current state.

Shahzadi
03-11-2011, 10:54 PM
A sore? You should check the enitre cage for any pointy and sharp areas. The only other thing I could think of is that it could be a tumour. She doesn't seem to be doing too well. You may want to consult with an avain vet . It's better to treat the bird earlier rather than later. Birds don't get better from illness on their own. Once they're sick, they go downhill...and some very fast :( Also, it costs less if you bring them in earlier...once they're really sick you are going to have to pay a lot more for the treatments, tests, medications etc.

atvchick95
03-11-2011, 10:56 PM
Sounds like she needs to go to the vet
could be a tumor

I just took one of my Tiels to the vet earlier this month when I noticed a lump on her back down toward the tail - about where their preen gland is and noticed she was missing a whole lot of feathers there (her wings usually cover that part up so i didn't see how many were actually missing until I held her(against her will) and spread her wings open)

The vet said it was nothing more than a Pimple (a birdie pimple actually is what he said lol)

he cleaned it cut it just a bit and used tweezers to drain it out and got the core out - put a E-collar on her and she's fine now Feathers are growing back where the lump was is healed all up and its not there any more, can't tell there was ever a lump there and it was about the size of a half of a pea so it wasn't small - just in an area that isn't visible very often just happen to see it one day when she was flapping to get her balance back while she was on a friends shoulder (he moved a bit too fast for her)

xtremeimport
03-11-2011, 11:14 PM
well, sadly....she just passed in my hands.

thanks for the quick replies. its never a fun moment when a pet dies, my friends and I enjoyed her company and random fly byes out of her cage.

atvchick95
03-11-2011, 11:23 PM
aww I'm sorry she didn't make it :(

Shahzadi
03-11-2011, 11:30 PM
I'm sorry she didn't make it...What was her name? RIP :(:(

xtremeimport
03-11-2011, 11:50 PM
thanks for your thoughts.

I'm not a huge bird person, but she was fun. always entertained me and my friends. Her name was Geraldine, my friend and I named her after a girl we heard sing the National Anthems at the Toronto Airshow since she always had a jolly tune to her songs. :P

it hit her fast, or at least i failed to notice a huge difference in her attitude. if i was home more maybe i could've taken notice earlier since her cage is right beside my computer. I didnt really think it would bother me when she finally passed on but her being in the basement(being where my room is and where i spend most of my time with friends) i kinda got use to having her around. :(

she looked just like :budgie: :)

MsBudgie
03-12-2011, 12:16 AM
RIP Geraldine :(
You will be missed.

AleighaM
03-12-2011, 12:59 AM
Its very hard for us to tell when budgies aren't feeling well. They hide it until the last possible minutes. Its not your fault!

RIP Geraldine