Water in my ear? very painful! what do I do? [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Water in my ear? very painful! what do I do?

Corina
03-03-2011, 09:31 PM
When I was in the shower I felt some water go in my ear but didn't think anything of it until later today when it started hurting, it's been so windy and I've been out all day so could it be air?

The pain is killing me! I've been whiny all day to the point of tears, trust me I'm not the whiny type and never ever cry!

Feel like someone shoved a pair of scissors in there! my throat has been sore because I've been sick and this is making it worse, my jaw hurts too, I can't stand it :(

I've had ear aches before but nothing this bad, does anyone know how I can fix it fast before I just chop my whole head off?

romie12321
03-03-2011, 09:35 PM
do it still feels like water is in there? if so what i do it put a Q-tip in the and turn my head to the side to and the Q-tip sucks up the water i hope it helps

louara
03-03-2011, 09:41 PM
Poor you, earaches and toothaches are the worst for pain. I'd be wary of the Q-tips, if you have an infection, it may make it worse. Try holding a hairdryer up to your ear. Take Advil or Tylenol for the pain. If it is still bad tomorrow, see a doctor, you may need eardrops. Don't put it off as you do not want to cause damage to your eardrum.
Feel better soon.

Corina
03-03-2011, 09:43 PM
I can't feel any water in there just the pain! thank you for the tip

Corina
03-03-2011, 09:48 PM
Poor you, earaches and toothaches are the worst for pain. I'd be wary of the Q-tips, if you have an infection, it may make it worse. Try holding a hairdryer up to your ear. Take Advil or Tylenol for the pain. If it is still bad tomorrow, see a doctor, you may need eardrops. Don't put it off as you do not want to cause damage to your eardrum.
Feel better soon.

Thank you Louara! just read about the hairdryer on google but since you mentioned it too I will try it. I'm so desperate I'm all over the place. I have such sensitive ears, ever since I was a kid I'm just prone to earaches never been this bad though :(

We used to keep drops handy back then but haven't had one in years

EvaC.
03-03-2011, 09:52 PM
Feel better soon.

I agree, my sister has chronic ear infections (she's had so many that she is practically deaf in one ear and she's only 28). If you are having pain that goes down the ear into your jaw it sounds like an infection. Stay AWAY from Q-tips, they will do more harm than good. Take Advil or Motrin for pain, ibuprofen is an anti-inflammatory and will help with any inflammation. You can also use a heating pad on the side that is hurting, just use it for 20 minutes at a time. See a doctor ASAP, hope you feel better soon!

romie12321
03-03-2011, 09:55 PM
I can't feel any water in there just the pain! thank you for the tip

o sorry i tried to help:(

Speach72
03-03-2011, 09:56 PM
I get this all the time, my ears are very prone to taking in water and keeping it in there. Avoid using a q-tip, your ear wax is most likely soft right now and the q-tip would just pack it in making the situation worse. As Louara mentioned, take some advil and if it persists see a doctor. The cooling off of the water in your ear has most likely caused an infection.

jonsbabykake
03-03-2011, 10:04 PM
corina, if you have been sick, the infected mucus from inside your nose probably traveled into the ear that you lay on most, causing it to also be infected. my husband just went through this, and we had to take him to emergency care because the pain was so severe. they gave him strong antibiotics that he had to take every 6hrs instead of 12 or even 24, and gave him a small dose of *********** for the imense pain.

it took about a day or 2 for the severe pain to go away, and then it was just annoying pain. then he lost almost all hearing in that ear for about a week. hes off the meds now as soon as a few days ago, and his hearing is back. when its healing and your hearing isnt all there, it will like to pop, much like on an airplane, but itll tend to be a painful pop. there will be a rush of sound and itll plug back up again, but it does mean its healing. get to a doc for antibiotics sooner rather than later, so you dont have permanent damage.

edit: oops didnt know that medicine was off limits and got bleeped lol it starts with hydro.

Ira&Issa
03-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Sounds like swimmer's ear to me, Corina. Basically what happens is your inner ear dries out because of being wet, so wind would make it feel MUCH worse. You can get ear drops to soothe it, but don't use a q-tip or anything until you're sure. Does it hurt when you pull DOWN on your earlobe? Try to keep it dry and free of water and see if that makes it less painful.

Hope you feel better soon!

Corina
03-03-2011, 10:36 PM
Just did what Louara told me, the hairdryer helped! the warmth felt so good and I felt a pop! which was painful but now it feels a lot better! still sore but not bad. I took some pain killers too. It had been popping during the day, painful pops that just made me stop in my tracks and grab my ear but that last one just made it feel a lot better.

It is clogged now and can't hear that good on that ear but at least the pain is gone. Should I still worry about infection? or only if the pain comes back?

Speach72
03-03-2011, 11:04 PM
I'd say only if the pain comes back.

flyingfluff
03-04-2011, 03:54 AM
I had a college roommate who was a swimmer, and I think she would pour rubbing alcohol in her ear real quickly and then tilt her head and soak it up with a cotton ball to help with swimmers ear. Don't quote me on it. I only saw her do it and don't know the safety of doing that.

Cheeno
03-04-2011, 04:31 AM
Poor thing. I had an ear infection two years ago, which was so painful I was close to banging my head off a wall to distract myself. What worked for me, before I got to the doctor, was a teaspoon of warmed olive oil (not hot) poured into the ear, then cotton wool to plug it up. Goes without saying I was also bunged up with painkillers. Because the ear, nose, and throat are all combined, infection in one often means the same in the other/s. Get thee to a doctor! Hope you feel better soon.:)

Oceana's Mom
03-04-2011, 06:02 AM
Just want to throw in my 2 cents. I had swimmers ear my whole childhood practically evry summer. As an adult I had a very bad ear infection (Both inner and outer) I had to drive myself to the emergency room. I was put on antibiotics and a steroid to reduce the swelling. But because of it I lost some hearing in that ear.(I waited too long!!) Get to a doctor. The pain and the popping sound means the swelling is affecting the ear drum. You need to take something for the swelling. And no Q-tips!!!!!! The alcohol tip is only good before an infection sets in. The alcohol helps evaporate the water. Hope my 2 cents helps. Feel better!!!!

Lisa P.
03-04-2011, 07:38 AM
I would use Motrin for pain, and put a cotton ball in your ear to help stop airflow. The cotton ball will also warm up your ear and that will help. Also, you can get over the counter drops to help soothe the ear.

Hope you're better real soon.

Lisa

ronsig
03-04-2011, 08:04 AM
I just read this. There is a spray available for swimmers ear. It contains alcohol and dries out the water in the ear. I used that when I got swimmers ear in the past.

The problem could also be ear wax buildup. When you get water in your ear, the wax expands and causes problems.

If you have any more problems, you should see a doctor. :)

Sigrid

PS: My doctor told me to chew gum:)

louara
03-04-2011, 10:02 AM
Glad you are feeling better, but be careful when you wash your hair, you don't want to aggravate it with more water. If the pain comes back, go see the doctor.

ParrotletsRock
03-04-2011, 10:16 AM
How is it today?? If their is still a lot of pressure and you cannot hear right I would go see a dr... the lack of pain may be cuz your ear drum has ruptured, if it has not the pressure in your ear may still cause it to rupture... Hope you feel better soon.

allan
03-04-2011, 11:20 AM
hello just had to reply as i have just rececently had the same problem. mine also started with the shower. i waited for things to improve but things started to get very painful but from realising i had a problem it soon developed into an infection and very painful loss of sleep and so on. health service direct sent my directly to hospital were i was put on a course of steroids but within a week i was fine. but when showering now i use ear plugs.

Corina
03-04-2011, 11:58 AM
Wow thank you for all the replies! I think I'll do what Allan does from now on and use ear plugs in the shower.

The pain is completely gone now, I was dreading not being able to sleep but the pain was gone before I went to bed! The hairdryer thing worked almost instantly and this morning my ear got unclogged and can hear good again :)

Thank you all, I know I can always count on my TB family :hug:

ParrotletsRock
03-04-2011, 12:22 PM
Glad to hear your ear is feeling better!!

EvaC.
03-04-2011, 12:24 PM
So glad you're feeling better!

SpickyDavies
03-04-2011, 02:19 PM
what great news :D im now scared to wash my ears hahaha

atvchick95
03-04-2011, 03:29 PM
Warm mineral oil is good for ear aches

and something my grandma always did with us (I've never tried it on my own) She took some normal table salt put it in a Small fry pan and got it hot, then poured it into a brown lunch sack closed up the sack and stuck the bag to our ears It pulled out the liquid and we didn't have an ear ache any more

they also say smoke from cigarettes works as well - Ive had this done and actually it made mine hurt worse So take that one with a grain of salt it may not hurt every one but it did me but I had swimmers in in BOTH ears at the same time - Talk about irriating I couldn't hear nothing both ears were 98% clogged and It hurt like a Well I'll leave it at that lol and mine lasted for about a total of 3 weeks (love having an Auto Immune disorder ! NOT!!!)

Also it may be wise to go to the Drug store and buy some Ear plugs for swimmers Some are on a string some are made of silicone etc. and use while in the shower to prevent water getting in your ears

2tlove
03-04-2011, 08:57 PM
So glad your ear is better! I had swimmers ear long time ago , but I will never forget the pain !