Pine Cones - How to disinfect them? [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Pine Cones - How to disinfect them?

Betcherrygah
12-01-2010, 03:36 PM
The caravan park that we're staying in has quite a few pine tress growing, and I've been busy collecting pine cones off the ground to take home for Curly and Mo next week so they can shred them, or do whatever they want with them.

My question is, like all things collected this way, what is the best method of disinfecting the pine cones so that I'm not passing on any nasties?

Cheers,

Robo Hip
12-01-2010, 03:41 PM
I would soak in a mild disinfectant (dish soap or F10) and then bake in the oven to kill off all the nasties :)

Can't wait to see your pinecone toy invention :D

rachelle83
12-01-2010, 03:44 PM
put them in the oven for 30 minutes on 250 F. Mine love them, used to give them to my Guinea Pigs all the time too.

i love Budgie
12-01-2010, 03:48 PM
Well I don't need to add anything :iagree: with the above

Betcherrygah
12-01-2010, 03:58 PM
Thanks for the advice Debbie, Rachelle and Amberlea, that's what I thought too after reading something similar in another thread here on TB, but just wanted to be sure.

I'm not sure that I'll be making a toy with them Debbie, but after disinfecting them I might just put a couple in with them and see what they do to/with them.

Cheers,

TheDragonslayer
12-08-2010, 03:53 AM
Heating the pine cones opens the scales and releases the nuts. Do your budgies eat the pine nuts? I never thought about pine cones for my birds, I have access to plenty of them and may take advantage of that.

Corina
12-08-2010, 11:03 AM
I know what you can do with them! Cover them with a little peanut butter (all natural) and then sprinkle seeds or some millet on them. It'll make a nice fun foraging treat :P

Don't forget to hang them so they don't get pooped on!

Betcherrygah
12-08-2010, 04:28 PM
Well I really made a mess of disinfecting the pine cones I had collected.

I had the oven on last night to do some cooking and thought I'd pop the pine cones in after I had thoroughly cleaned and washed them.
Then I promptly forget they were in the oven until I noticed this horrible burning smell...too late, they were burnt, and they now reside in the rubbish bin. :mad:

Cheers,

bellabudgie99
12-08-2010, 05:10 PM
Great idea! I have to go outside to go collect some pincones and steal your idea now...I UH...I MEANT...OH! I have to go outside to collect some grass....yep....

bellabudgie99
12-08-2010, 05:11 PM

I had the oven on last night to do some cooking and thought I'd pop the pine cones in after I had thoroughly cleaned and washed them.
Then I promptly forget they were in the oven until I noticed this horrible burning smell...too late, they were burnt, and they now reside in the rubbish bin. :mad:

Cheers,
Ouch! Got to be careful? How long do you recommend to cook them for as I see you have already tried so how much time were you aiming for?

CeeCee
12-08-2010, 07:00 PM
I put parts of millet sprays in my bird's pinecone. Just put it in today--hoping he will gnaw the pine cone instead of the cage bars. :)

Betcherrygah
12-08-2010, 07:17 PM
Ouch! Got to be careful? How long do you recommend to cook them for as I see you have already tried so how much time were you aiming for?

Rachelle suggested thirty minutes at 250F, I "baked" mine much longer than that, grrrrr! :hammer:

They stunk the kitchen out. :sad3:

Cheers,

Robo Hip
12-08-2010, 07:35 PM

Cheers,

:laughing: Did Mrs B make you sit out on the porch for making the house stink out :giggle:

Betcherrygah
12-08-2010, 07:53 PM
:laughing: Did Mrs B make you sit out on the porch for making the house stink out :giggle:

G'day Debbie,

Almost, she had a little, no big, whinge for a while until I dumped them in the outside bin. :slap:

Never mind, when I was out shopping this morning I bought the boys another coconut, so now I'll make them a different coconut toy just to make up for the pine cone debacle...that should get me back in their good books...two down, one to go. :D

Cheers,

Robo Hip
12-08-2010, 07:55 PM
:laughing: God loves a trier John :giggle:

Good luck with Mrs B :laughing:

bellabudgie99
12-08-2010, 07:58 PM
G'day Debbie,

Almost, she had a little, no big, whinge for a while until I dumped them in the outside bin. :slap:

Never mind, when I was out shopping this morning I bought the boys another coconut, so now I'll make them a different coconut toy just to make up for the pine cone debacle...that should get me back in their good books...two down, one to go. :D

Cheers,

:bowrofl: HAHAHA! I wish they sold coconuts this time of year around here! :D:D:D By the way I will try the pinecone thing if my mom lets me. :D

Robo Hip
12-08-2010, 08:04 PM
:bowrofl: HAHAHA! I wish they sold coconuts this time of year around here! :D:D:D By the way I will try the pinecone thing if my mom lets me. :D

Just make sure you don't follow John's recipe and your mum should be fine with the idea Bella :giggle:

AAYLLAA
12-08-2010, 09:12 PM
Bless you John for trying so hard. Next time will be better I'm sure. :D

Marsheliah
12-09-2010, 12:49 AM
xD Oh dear, what a mishap!

I've got a good lot of wood to bake... Some sticks for a playgym, and a bucket of pine cones. Hoping to get it done this weekend! The pine cones were a lovely idea, especially since we have a line of nice pine trees in our yard. Hope the boys like them, but even so, they'll keep and make nice toys over time! ^.^

Alecshar
12-12-2010, 12:09 PM
Since we're on the topic, when do pine cones tend to "ripen" and fall off trees? =S

Marsheliah
12-12-2010, 01:44 PM
During winter. But I think there's no harm in picking them a little early, such as when they're opened but haven't fallen yet.

xP Our pine trees are dropping pine cones now, and have been for a couple weeks, if that's any help!