Mouse droppings in the food bowl [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Mouse droppings in the food bowl

Corina
11-30-2010, 05:07 PM
The other day I saw a mouse coming from where my dog's food bowl is. I went to check it and I found mouse droppings in there! I freaked out. Washed it, disinfected it. My worry was of course, if my dog ingested some? I always wash her water dish but I've never been too picky with her food bowl so I don't know and have no way of knowing if she actually ingested any of it.

We live surrounded by fields and my cat doesn't hunt anymore (old cat) so it's been quite difficult to get rid of the mice. I did solve the problem of mice getting into her bowl though! I put it away where they can't get it and only give it to her when she is hungry. No way of mice touching her food now.

Of course I'm still worried, what if she caught something? :eek:
She is not sick, and hasn't been acting any different. All normal. Don't want to take her to the vet if I don't have to.

Just asking, to anyone that might know. Is there some sort of signs of symptoms I should be looking for in my dog? something that might tell me that she is actually sick? Is like I'm carrying a large boulder on my back, I need some piece of mind.

She has her annual vet check in march, I really don't want to take her in before then. Opinions?

CaptainCarebear
11-30-2010, 05:12 PM
She should be okay :) If she ate it, she most likely would have thrown it up. And if she did ingest it, she will show signs of being ill. Until then, don't fret! :)

CaptainHowdy
11-30-2010, 05:14 PM
Depending on how much she has ingested she may show no symptoms or she may vomit, get diarrhea, seem lethargic or just generally under the weather.
If you are worried I would always suggest taking her to the vets to be sure, also you need to keep the water somewhere they can not get to as well as they will pee in the water which will also make your dog ill.

What you can do is get one of those stands for the food bowls (depending on the size of you dog) so it is always raised off the floor and then wrap something plastic and slippery around the base so the mice can not climb up.

You would be best finding out how they are getting in and blocking it up as they will find their way into food anywhere they can.

Corina
11-30-2010, 05:29 PM
Depending on how much she has ingested she may show no symptoms or she may vomit, get diarrhea, seem lethargic or just generally under the weather.
If you are worried I would always suggest taking her to the vets to be sure, also you need to keep the water somewhere they can not get to as well as they will pee in the water which will also make your dog ill.

What you can do is get one of those stands for the food bowls (depending on the size of you dog) so it is always raised off the floor and then wrap something plastic and slippery around the base so the mice can not climb up.

You would be best finding out how they are getting in and blocking it up as they will find their way into food anywhere they can.

Thanks for the quick replies!

Her food used to be right on the floor, on a mat. A stand would be out of the question, she is a toy poodle, most of the stands I've seen are too high! But I've solved that problem.

I placed both her water and food bowl inside a cupboard, I checked it, no way mice can get in and it's thick wood so they won't chew threw it without me noticing their attempts first! Whenever she is hungry all she does is scratch on the door to let us know :p

It's been a few days since. She is completely normal! She probably didn't ingest any. She usually knocks the food bowl so the kibble spills on the floor, she likes it from the floor :rolleyes:

The droppings were at the bottom, it's just the worry that is killing me as I really have no idea if she did eat some or not!

11-30-2010, 06:31 PM
dogs eat mice, often with one bite, no chewing and no dressing....poop happens.

It good to wash the dish but no need to worry. worms is probably the worst the dog can catch, a yacked up mouse the worst you might find :D

ronsig
11-30-2010, 06:59 PM
dogs eat mice, often with one bite, no chewing and no dressing....poop happens.

It good to wash the dish but no need to worry. worms is probably the worst the dog can catch, a yacked up mouse the worst you might find :D

Yes!!! My friend had a dachshund who just ate mice when she took him on walks along fields. In one bite..very quick. And nothing ever happened.
So, I would not worry.

Sigrid

teasha
11-30-2010, 08:49 PM
Yes!!! My friend had a dachshund who just ate mice when she took him on walks along fields. In one bite..very quick. And nothing ever happened.
So, I would not worry.

Sigrid

Lol reminds me of the time the neighbor dogs came over into my shed and gobbled up my baby chicks. Boy was I mad! Plus they killed two chickens. But dogs will be dogs.

ronsig
11-30-2010, 09:43 PM
Lol reminds me of the time the neighbor dogs came over into my shed and gobbled up my baby chicks. Boy was I mad! Plus they killed two chickens. But dogs will be dogs.

Yes, that would make me mad too...at the neighbour. Dogs will be dogs, that's why the owners have to be responsible.:rolleyes:

Sigrid

Corina
11-30-2010, 09:46 PM
Ah thank you for those replies! made me feel so much better!

But you know I used to watch that show called "Monsters Inside Me" Made me a little paranoid :rolleyes:

11-30-2010, 09:47 PM
Ah thank you for those replies! make me feel so much better!

But you know I used to watch that show called "Monsters Inside Me" Made me a little paranoid :rolleyes:

Replace it with "Bowsers Inside Story' :D

Corina
11-30-2010, 09:54 PM
Replace it with "Bowsers Inside Story' :D

Is that the video game? Where Mario and Luigi go inside Bowser? I really want that game for my DSi!

11-30-2010, 09:55 PM
yep, that's the one. It looks cute! :D

teasha
11-30-2010, 10:16 PM
Ah thank you for those replies! made me feel so much better!
"Monsters Inside Me"

:eek: :eek: Yuck! I refuse to believe there are bugs on my eyelashes. :D