Oat Groats [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Oat Groats

gotmerles
10-01-2010, 12:16 PM
I have noticed that since my pair, Music and Daydream, are sitting on eggs (first egg hatched wednesday!) and raising their first clutch they are demanding a LOT of oat groats. It seems that they eat all the oat groats first and will go back to the regular seed when there is nothing else. Right now, they want their oats even before millet!

I am supplementing additional oat groats in their mash mix (egg, peas, oat groats, millet and dried greens). They aren't really eating from the regular seed feeder except to pick all the oat groats out. They DO chow down on their mash mix, but it seems the only seed they are eating is the oats.

Before the clutch, they didn't demand the oat groats this way. I know that oat groats are very high in protein and some fats. But since they are raising a clutch, I know the extra protein and fats are needed, correct? Or is too much of the oat groats, too bad for them?

10-01-2010, 01:51 PM
am I reading this right: they are raising chicks?

In that case I'd be pressed to say they need the extra protein for the chicks.

I could not tell you how much would be ok to give, I don't breed...

Kate C
10-01-2010, 06:52 PM
Ray they know instinctively what they need and will go for it. Oats are especially good for them in the cooler weather as the oats will help heat the blood. In some of our seed mixes over here in Australia during the warm months they don't put oats or much oats in the mix but during the winter period they will increase the amount of oats in the mix. Basically having a summer and a winter mix. When I had a horse we used to increase his oats in winter to warm the blood and help him through the colder months, especially as he hated being rugged and would always rip it off if he could, he also hated being stabled so it helped to keep him nice and warm, he ended up living to the ripe old age of 45.

Also they are eating the extra oats to assist in feeding the babies.

gotmerles
10-04-2010, 09:15 AM
Thank you! I had a feeling they "knew" what they were doing :) The temps are dropping here (60s) and with 3 mouths to feed (so far, two more eggs to go!) they are eating the extras.

My horse is the same way! He hates being in a stall and has kicked his way out of them before. He wont even use a run in shed in bad weather. I have to bribe him in there with hidden oats! haha.

Betcherrygah
10-17-2010, 09:27 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what are "oats groats"?

It's a term that I'm not familiar with.

Cheers,

Jimm-V
10-17-2010, 10:43 PM
Please excuse my ignorance, but what are "oats groats"?

It's a term that I'm not familiar with.

Cheers,

Google 'oat groats'. You should see wkipedia and lots of pictures.

Betcherrygah
10-17-2010, 10:52 PM
Thanks Jimm-V, now why didn't I think of that? :embarrassed:

After Googling and reading about them, I assume that oat groats are more a cold weather food, rather than a food that you'd give budgies during hot weather...am I correct in my thinking?

Cheers,

momof3
10-17-2010, 11:00 PM
hmmm never knew but my guys eat this first all the time so winter give them some extra to keep warm

Jimm-V
10-18-2010, 02:31 AM
Thanks Jimm-V, now why didn't I think of that? :embarrassed:

After Googling and reading about them, I assume that oat groats are more a cold weather food, rather than a food that you'd give budgies during hot weather...am I correct in my thinking?

Cheers,

You are welcome, John.

Here in equatorial climate, I have hot weather with occassional showers. Oat groats are one of my bird's food. As long as there are a variety of veggies, grains and seed mix, my budgies strive well over their food intake.

Betcherrygah
10-18-2010, 03:10 AM
Thanks once again for your advice Jimm-V...it's much appreciated.

Cheers,

SpickyDavies
10-18-2010, 07:04 AM
groats are great however make sure they are still eating the vegs and fruit