Tail Bobbing = Sick? [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Tail Bobbing = Sick?

Sirane
08-19-2010, 08:44 AM
Just wanted to ask if tail-bobbing is 100% indicative of a respiratory illness? I've had my budgie about a year now and he suddenly started tail bobbing, even when at rest (but less pronounced), but he doesn't show any other signs of illness. Clear eyes, clean ceres and vent, normal droppings and still very active. The only difference is that he seems to be preening a bit more than usual, and he seems to spook more easily.

Also, I read somewhere that budgies tend to hunch when they have respiratory problems, just wondering what exactly is hunching as opposed to standing vertically? And what exactly does a budgie's sneeze sound like? Is it like a short 'pft' sound?

Thanks in advance!

helloyo53
08-19-2010, 08:54 AM
Here is a video of a budgie bobbing its tail: YouTube- Twirl tail bobbing

This is what you should be looking out for for respiratory problems. If you budgie is tail bobbing like this, you should probably bring to to an avian vet.

Your budgie may not be showing signs of illness, but they are good at hiding their illnesses. It is a natural instinct: in the wild, a sick budgie would be considered weak, and easy for predators to get.

I've never really heard of budgies hunching when sick, but I'm sure it's possible. I'll let someone else answer that question. Sneezing basically sounds like a really short "pft" sound, as you said.

Hope this helps you out a bit. Would you be able to post a video of your budgie tail bobbing? Some budgies tail bob when they are excited too, but it's not as pronounced.

aka.pody
08-19-2010, 11:36 AM
Good advice from Brandon. Their sneezing does sound like a little kiss sound or "pft".
We can't assume that they're not sick as they are so good at hiding illness. That's instinctive because in the wild the weak animals are the ones to fall prey to other animals. That's why they will act like they are not sick until it's sometimes too late for us to notice it.

A trip to the vet sounds like the best idea. If you need help finding an avian vet in your area we can help.

Keep us posted on how the little one is doing.

SpickyDavies
08-19-2010, 12:21 PM
the hunched is when the bird sits more horizontal, it makes it's easier for them to breath
sort of like this
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01000/budgie-1st-place_1000038c.jpg
-http://i.telegraph.co.uk/telegraph/multimedia/archive/01000/budgie-1st-place_1000038c.jpg

go see your avian vet to be sure :)

rebecca123
08-19-2010, 12:24 PM
hiyaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa:)

louara
08-19-2010, 02:37 PM
Hi Sirane,
I agree 100% with Brandon and Arlene, a trip to an avian vet is the best advice we can give you.
Keep us posted and good luck.

Robo Hip
08-19-2010, 09:02 PM
Hope all works out OK, thoughts and prayers are with you. Take care and keep us posted