What birds can go in the same cage as the budgies? [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: What birds can go in the same cage as the budgies?

Budgerigarluv
05-21-2010, 06:37 AM
Just interested, I was wondering what types of birds can go in the same cage with budgies? I know bigger birds are highly recomended, cockatiels will get bullied by budgies, so what CAN go in the same cage with the budgies? :S

DragonLass
05-21-2010, 06:45 AM
More budgies :D

lotus15
05-21-2010, 06:48 AM
In general, it is not recommended to mix species. With any species, there might be some birds that get along with budgies and some that don't-- it's really up to the individual birds. For example, usually people say not to mix 'tiels with budgies, but there are at least two people on this forum that I can think of that have 'tiels and budgies housed together, happily. (Then again of course I know many people whose 'tiels do not like their budgies.) So, in short-- it's really up to the individuals. Sorry :o

Budgerigarluv
05-21-2010, 08:26 AM
So there is no right or wrong? It only depends on the birds-if they get along or not? :S

Teegzy
05-21-2010, 08:54 AM
It does depend on your bird.
I have seen a green cheek conure playing with a budgie,
But I can only have Kieko (My GCC) out alone.

My 2 tiels get along great with my budgies, except for the
every so often "pecking order", which shikoba is the only one
who fights tootz, But its never bad, just the usuall behaviour.
I do see my birds several times a day every day so I always have
a close eye anyway :)

If your budgies & chilled, you can get another bird as a baby,
or one that also seems calm. They will learn to live together
because it's all they know :) Have you ever seen Marly the
blue ringneck on youtube who loves a male cockatiel ^_^

Budgerigarluv
05-21-2010, 08:59 AM
It does depend on your bird.
I have seen a green cheek conure playing with a budgie,
But I can only have Kieko (My GCC) out alone.

My 2 tiels get along great with my budgies, except for the
every so often "pecking order", which shikoba is the only one
who fights tootz, But its never bad, just the usuall behaviour.
I do see my birds several times a day every day so I always have
a close eye anyway :)

If your budgies & chilled, you can get another bird as a baby,
or one that also seems calm. They will learn to live together
because it's all they know :) Have you ever seen Marly the

Yeah, they are pretty laid back and well behaved. :)
The only thing Kiddles gets angry at, is my fingers. :o
By the sounds of things, would they be good to live with a 'teil?

Teegzy
05-21-2010, 09:15 AM
You can certainly try them living with a cockatiel.
OFten it's the budgies that pick on the tiels for some
reason, but I ahve seen tiels & budgies in a petbarn
& the budgies were all bleeding & missing toes.
Just pick a good natured tiel, quaratine, then keep
the cage next to the budgies cage for a week or 2,
while letting them have free flight time together, then
hopefully they can live together :) That's if you have enough
room in one cage of course ^_^ Good luck!

Budgerigarluv
05-21-2010, 09:38 AM
You can certainly try them living with a cockatiel.
Often it's the budgies that pick on the tiels for some
reason, but I ahve seen tiels & budgies in a petbarn
& the budgies were all bleeding & missing toes.
Just pick a good natured tiel, quaratine, then keep
the cage next to the budgies cage for a week or 2,
while letting them have free flight time together, then
hopefully they can live together :) That's if you have enough
room in one cage of course ^_^ Good luck!

Thank you for your help. :)
If my parents allow, I will do this! :)
Thanks!

ParrotletsRock
05-21-2010, 09:55 AM
Have you ever seen Marly the
OMG. I have seen that...it is sooo cute the way the ring neck follows the tiel around telling him he is cute and asking for a kiss...I want THAT bird...lol.

Emmilyy
05-21-2010, 10:00 AM
Just pointing out that you NEVER want to just throw two birds together - even if they are of the same species.

It is not guaranteed that ANY bird will get along. Any new bird will need its own cage.

M&M672
05-21-2010, 10:22 AM
My wife asked me last night if the Finches and Parakeets could be in the same cage. I doubt it, but thought I'd ask. It's not like a parakeet could keep up with a finch but the presence of the parakeet might be too stressful for the finch.

CaptainCarebear
05-21-2010, 11:11 AM
Well, keep in mind that budgies can be toe nippers. I would do as some have said and get the Tiel as a baby. Maybe the budgies and the tiels growing up together would help the situation. As for finches, they need a different environment than budgies. They are also much smaller, much faster, and their cages need different bar spaces. I wouldn't recommend it.

Ambisense
05-21-2010, 11:15 AM
I personally wouldn't mix species either unless you have an aviary. Even the personality of the birds don't guarantee they will get along.

Ace (my budgie) is the sweetest budgie ever, she never bites me, she's always feeding Spade (my other budgie) and grooming her...but put Ace in a cage with Joo Joo (my tiel) and she looses all sweetness and attacks him like meat. I was 100% sure that I would be able to house my budgies with my tiel. Infact, I had planned on getting a really big cage and housing them all together, but my budgies proved me totally wrong. I was shocked. So based on my personal experience, I would never recommend housing budgies and tiels together, tiels are just so docile.

lotus15
05-21-2010, 06:38 PM
My advice would be not to count on them getting along-- prepare for the fact and expect that they will not. You'll need a separate cage for quarantine anyway :)

Budgerigarluv
05-21-2010, 09:07 PM
My advice would be not to count on them getting along-- prepare for the fact and expect that they will not. You'll need a separate cage for quarantine anyway :)

The cage probably won't be as big as the budgies cage, though. :(
(eg: traveling, ect.)

How big does the cage have to be, though? :S

Vickie
05-21-2010, 09:24 PM
I can't recommend mixed species sharing a cage. It might work for a day, or a month, or four years, but what about the day it doesn't work out? If you're not there and a fight breaks out, what might you come home to?

Let them share out of cage time if you want to, but supervise always. I really don't see the point behind risking a bird's toes or even its life, just to have them share cage space.

Here are two previous threads on the topic:

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=34403

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=44508

Other people here have had their budgies attacked by other species, and even by other budgies. A fight can come on suddenly and get really bad, and if you're not around to break it up you could easily come home to some mutilated birds. Not worth the risk. Please consider their experiences and learn from their mistakes.

Budgerigarluv
05-21-2010, 09:56 PM
I can't recommend mixed species sharing a cage. It might work for a day, or a month, or four years, but what about the day it doesn't work out? If you're not there and a fight breaks out, what might you come home to?

Let them share out of cage time if you want to, but supervise always. I really don't see the point behind risking a bird's toes or even its life, just to have them share cage space.

Here are two previous threads on the topic:

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=34403

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=44508

Other people here have had their budgies attacked by other species, and even by other budgies. A fight can come on suddenly and get really bad, and if you're not around to break it up you could easily come home to some mutilated birds. Not worth the risk. Please consider their experiences and learn from their mistakes.

Thanks for the advise, but I never would risk something like that. :)

lotus15
05-21-2010, 10:15 PM
The cage probably won't be as big as the budgies cage, though. :(
(eg: traveling, ect.)

How big does the cage have to be, though? :S

I hate to say this, but if you can't properly house them, perhaps you should reconsidering getting them? Not trying to be mean at all-- just cautious.

Are you asking how big a cage would have to be for species to share? Do you mean budgies + tiels, and how many of each?

riotfox
05-21-2010, 10:24 PM
^ her budgies cage is huge so it probs would be fine to be a bit smaller. i think tiels need 20x20 and 24 high just off the top of my head.

Budgerigarluv
05-21-2010, 11:48 PM
(can a moderator please close this thread, please? I'm not getting a 'tiel.)

AngelWings
05-22-2010, 01:01 AM
Thread has been closed.