My Betta is ALWAYS hungry.. [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: My Betta is ALWAYS hungry..

shailynb
05-19-2010, 05:33 PM
My Betta fish is ALWAYS hungry,
and especially since he sits in front of my computer now with his new tank..
he's always coming to the front of the tank and going to the top to see if there is food,
and if there isn't he'll swim back down to me..

I thought Betta's didn't eat alot..
So what the heck?
He'd going through food like crazy

MsBudgie
05-19-2010, 05:36 PM
Maybe he's having fun.
Not necessarily hungry.
His stomach is about the size of his eye.
So he shouldn't eat too much :p
He could just really like you a lot :)

shailynb
05-19-2010, 05:50 PM
Hahahaha he eats it though and doesn't spit it out!
He's a piggy..
I'm not sure, maybe he does like me,
I did buy him an awesome tank for himself..

AngelWings
05-19-2010, 06:37 PM
My betta is always hungry as well :)
Careful not to overfeed them since their stomachs are very small.

Vickie
05-19-2010, 07:12 PM
Bettas must go to the surface or else they will drown; it does not mean he is looking for food! They have a labyrinth organ in their head which means they must breathe air as well as water. Please be careful not to overfeed.

Overfeeding is the leading cause of death in aquarium fish. With too much food in the belly, a fish can get swim bladder disorder and become bloated; this is especially dangerous for bettas because as I mentioned if they cannot reach the surface for air they will die.

They have very small stomachs and can go an extremely long time without food. I heard of one betta who went a month without any food at all and recovered (though this is not recommended!). Many people feed their betta a bare minimum of food and even have one day a week where they skip feeding altogether to protect against swim bladder; it is not cruel as they can go a long time without feeling truly hungry and allows them to empty out their systems before their next meal, reducing the risk of bloating.

Remember bettas have wild instincts, and their instinct is to eat everything in front of them in case they will be unable to find food later. They don't understand that in an aquarium they will find food everyday, so it is up to you to make sure your fish does not eat too much for itself!

My own betta eats only 2-4 pellets a day; I've had him for more than a year now and he is very active.

Take care

stacey101
05-19-2010, 08:29 PM
Bettas must go to the surface or else they will drown; it does not mean he is looking for food! They have a labyrinth organ in their head which means they must breathe air as well as water. Please be careful not to overfeed.

Overfeeding is the leading cause of death in aquarium fish. With too much food in the belly, a fish can get swim bladder disorder and become bloated; this is especially dangerous for bettas because as I mentioned if they cannot reach the surface for air they will die.

They have very small stomachs and can go an extremely long time without food. I heard of one betta who went a month without any food at all and recovered (though this is not recommended!). Many people feed their betta a bare minimum of food and even have one day a week where they skip feeding altogether to protect against swim bladder; it is not cruel as they can go a long time without feeling truly hungry and allows them to empty out their systems before their next meal, reducing the risk of bloating.

Remember bettas have wild instincts, and their instinct is to eat everything in front of them in case they will be unable to find food later. They don't understand that in an aquarium they will find food everyday, so it is up to you to make sure your fish does not eat too much for itself!

My own betta eats only 2-4 pellets a day; I've had him for more than a year now and he is very active.

Take care

Agreed ! they are the pigs of the fish world !
I'm not going to repeat what Vickie said because she said it perfectly ;) !

shailynb
05-19-2010, 09:24 PM
I feed him in the morning an a little pinch when I get home,
but I will keep it to just the morning.
I've had him for well over a year now and he just started being active since I bought his ne cage

And thank you vdavis! I'm on my iPod so I can't give you karma right now but I'll get it later do sure

stacey101
05-19-2010, 09:35 PM
I feed him in the morning an a little pinch when I get home,
but I will keep it to just the morning.
I've had him for well over a year now and he just started being active since I bought his ne cage

personally , I'd only feed him about 2 blood worms , plus one pellet a day - if that.
They dont need much food before becoming plump !;)
Oh and we need pictures ... :) for personal enjoy ment of course , we have alot of betta freaks here

Vickie
05-19-2010, 09:50 PM
I want a picture too! :D

Jimm-V
05-19-2010, 09:57 PM
For my bettas (1 pair), I give both of them 2 minutes of feeding, 1 pellet at a time. If pellet starts to spit out from him/her mouth, stop altogether their feeding. This makes me comfortable that he/she have enough food. I feed once in the morning and another time in the evening.

On a joyous note, I managed to change the tank water for my fry last evening. All fry successfully transferred to clean fresh overnight water (de-chlorinated). I am looking at 30-40 fry growing into adulthood bettas in due course.

shailynb
05-20-2010, 01:15 AM
Wow!
I wish I lived close,
I'd take a few..
I've always had Betta's, my whole life..
And I am uploading pictures as we speak!

Splash
05-21-2010, 09:31 AM
My betta comes to the front of the tank and follows me back and forth in my room when I'm cleaning. When I come near to the tank he'll go to the top and wait for me to put food in LOL! Luckily I don't give into the fishy begging... I feel like hes a dog sometimes LOL! They are very smart little guys! He goes even more nuts when he actually sees me pick up the red can of food, he knows the foods in there.

shailynb
05-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Aweee, my Betta freaks out whenever I pick up his can of food..
He's very active now - makes me so happy