My lungs hurt [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: My lungs hurt

ssuzyk
04-15-2010, 07:43 PM
Anybody have any home remedies to soothe achy lungs? I've got a terrible sinus infection... no voice, lots of coughing, can't breathe :mad: So far I've spent over $90 on a doctors visit and my prescriptions :eek: My voice is starting to come back off and on, but my lungs still hurt so bad!

SpickyDavies
04-15-2010, 07:46 PM
what's going on with us all Suzy :S
ive got the sore throat now lost my throat voice bug and red eye
we are so attractive :D

i didn't even know your lung could hurt :O

Ambisense
04-15-2010, 07:53 PM
Is your coughing productive? (Are you bringing up phlegm?) You might want to get a chest xray -- could possibly be pneumonia if your lungs hurt - I am assuming he docs would have looked into that already though :S

ssuzyk
04-15-2010, 08:01 PM
what's going on with us all Suzy :S
ive got the sore throat now lost my throat voice bug and red eye
we are so attractive :D

i didn't even know your lung could hurt :O

Oh my gosh yeah, it hurts to breathe! I get an achy feeling in my chest every time I inhale.

This spring is a killer! I guess it's all of the pollen in the air. Summer can't come soon enough!

Is your coughing productive? (Are you bringing up phlegm?) You might want to get a chest xray -- could possibly be pneumonia if your lungs hurt - I am assuming he docs would have looked into that already though :S

I told the doc on monday that my lungs were hurting, but she didn't hear any wheezing so I guess she just dismissed it. My regular doctor was out, so this was his fill-in doctor. I never really feel like I can fully trust the fill-ins (just because they're not my doctor). The coughing is productive though, so now about half of the time I have a raspy voice instead of no voice.

A Flock Of Budgies
04-15-2010, 08:06 PM
If you have some eucalyptus leaves, make some tea with them and have a cup or two. It will help open up your airways.

Ambisense
04-15-2010, 08:10 PM
Other things you can try to open up your lungs:
- Go outside for 10-15minutes and breathe in the cool evening air
- close yourself in the washroom, turn on the shower and let the washroom steam up, sit there for 10-15 minutes
- use a humidifier (if u have one)

EDIT: scratch the first point. You're allergic to pollen d'oh!

teasha
04-15-2010, 09:04 PM
I wonder if it would help to breath e in the vapors from some boiled water?

Jimm-V
04-15-2010, 09:20 PM
Buy a packet of barley in a hypermarket. Boil it for 1.5 hrs in 3 litres of water in a pot. Add rock sugar to sweeten it. This is a cooling refreshing drink to soothe the throat. Drink as much as you can.

Robin's Nest
04-15-2010, 09:38 PM
My home remedy for that is similar to above - add eucalyptus essential oil, or even a small scoop of Vick's Vapor Rub to a very hot bath, and soak, soak soak! Breath in the vapors. Get low in the water so your chest and neck are under the water and warm. When I have it bad, I have to do that several times a day sometimes to ease the breathing. Feel better :)

04-15-2010, 10:34 PM
get some saline solution to squit up your nose, helps with the sinuses.

Then, instead of steaming up the bathroom, boil some water in a pot, and stick your head in the steam (after you removed it from the heat, of course!) and cover with a bath towel. You can add all kinds of good stuff to it, like cammomille, sage, thyme, eucalyptus etc...

You can also drink thyme tea: take a teaspoon full of the herb, fresh or dried (from the spice rack), pour a cup of boiling water over it, let it steep for 5 minutes (cover with a saucer) then add a good teas spoon of honey. 3 a day get crud going...

But I believe you are having a situation from the mucus draining from your sinuses down your throat, the hoarseness and stuff.

ssuzyk
04-15-2010, 11:22 PM
I just boiled some water and stuck my head over the pot with a towel to keep the steam in. It helped for a good half an hour, now my lungs are back to hurting me again :rolleyes: I've been drinking lots of warm tea, and I occasionally add some honey & lemon juice to it (though I really don't like lemon & honey in my tea). I'm kind of wishing I had a humidifier right now, but I really don't want to spend anymore money. It's costing me way too much to breathe this week. I think I'm going to give the vicks vapor rub a try now. Hopefully that'll do the trick so that I can sleep tonight!

louara
04-16-2010, 01:23 AM
I am prone to sinus infections, but I have never had my lungs hurt over one.
Does your back hurt when you cough?
Do you have a fever?
Vicks vaporub helps me a lot, and peppermint tea always makes my sinuses feel better.

Get well soon:)

ssuzyk
04-16-2010, 02:08 PM
For the first couple of days, I was running a fever and my back and chest were aching sooo bad! Now all of that is gone and I'm just left with the cough and the achy lungs.

04-16-2010, 08:34 PM
my chest/back often hurts when I have a cold.

Put some cammomille or sage or peppermint in the steam. those herbs have healing properties.