Head twitching when spoken to [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Head twitching when spoken to

Ellen J.
04-01-2010, 09:40 AM
Hi everyone, I imagine this topic has been covered before, but I am wondering if anyone has figured out the meaning of this:
Whenever I speak to my budgie, he twitches his head. I've seen this behavior in my cockatiel and in another budgie I had, and I know it's normal (none of the birds was sick or injured) and I've heard of other people's birds doing this. Has anyone figured out why they do this? To describe it better, it's a quick twitch or flick of the head to the side which occurs while I talk to the bird. I've been wondering and wondering! I don't believe it's because my voice hurts the bird's ears--there are louder sounds in my house than that, and the bird doesn't twitch his head when those sounds occur--only while being spoken to.
Ellen J.

Zeena
04-01-2010, 09:41 AM
Does he make sounds when he does this?

Ellen J.
04-01-2010, 04:58 PM
No, he doesn't make any sound at all. It's exactly the same thing my other birds did, and a friend of mine said her cockatiel does the same thing. I was trying to research it on the internet and apparently it's pretty common. It would be interesting to know what the bird is doing. It's pretty cute!
Ellen

shaz128blue
04-01-2010, 05:02 PM
are they listening to you ?

Caspir
04-04-2010, 02:56 AM
Hi everyone, I imagine this topic has been covered before, but I am wondering if anyone has figured out the meaning of this:
Whenever I speak to my budgie, he twitches his head. I've seen this behavior in my cockatiel and in another budgie I had, and I know it's normal (none of the birds was sick or injured) and I've heard of other people's birds doing this. Has anyone figured out why they do this? To describe it better, it's a quick twitch or flick of the head to the side which occurs while I talk to the bird. I've been wondering and wondering! I don't believe it's because my voice hurts the bird's ears--there are louder sounds in my house than that, and the bird doesn't twitch his head when those sounds occur--only while being spoken to.
Ellen J.

JayJay does this too. I've never figured out the reason why. :speechless-smiley-0

A Flock Of Budgies
04-04-2010, 10:00 AM
Dodger does this as well. Most of mine just bob their heads up and down. Florian has learned that well from my original four. LOL Oliver is now doing it too.

Ambisense
04-04-2010, 10:34 AM
I've never personally observed the twitching behavior that you described. My birds cock their head to one side when I talk to them, I think that's because they're paying attention to me and trying to focus on my face better giving me their attention.

Ambisense
04-07-2010, 07:43 PM
OK I did not fully understand this ...until I got my tiel. He does this...it's so odd. Exactly how you described it, quick head twitches when spoken to. And he twitches after every few words spoken.

At first I thought maybe my voice was too high pitch and was hurting his ears so i spoke in a lower voice and in a lower pitch and he still does the head twitches after every word...so it's not volume/pitch that's causing this.

Then I thought, what if he's doing this because when I'm talking to him I'm blowing/tickling his ears? So I spoke to him again but facing away from him and he still does the head twitching...so it's not because of the air.

It's odd...and almost in a violent way the way he shakes his head. He doesn't do this if I blow in his face or if i whistle at him...no matter how loudly I whistle.

Caspir
04-07-2010, 07:48 PM
OK I did not fully understand this ...until I got my tiel. He does this...it's so odd. Exactly how you described it, quick head twitches when spoken to. And he twitches after every few words spoken.

At first I thought maybe my voice was too high pitch and was hurting his ears so i spoke in a lower voice and in a lower pitch and he still does the head twitches after every word...so it's not volume/pitch that's causing this.

Then I thought, what if he's doing this because when I'm talking to him I'm blowing/tickling his ears? So I spoke to him again but facing away from him and he still does the head twitching...so it's not because of the air.

It's odd...and almost in a violent way the way he shakes his head. He doesn't do this if I blow in his face or if i whistle at him...no matter how loudly I whistle.

I ran the same possibilities thru my head.

I noticed sometimes JayJay's wing twitches along with his head. I was so hoping someone would come along and provide the answer.

helloyo53
04-07-2010, 08:15 PM
I'm not quite understanding this "twitching". Do you mean he kind of tilts his head to the side when you talk to him? If so, it's normal. Both my budgies do it when I talk to them, it's kind of cute. :)

Ambisense
04-07-2010, 08:22 PM
I didn't understand it either before..it's just that - twitching. head goes from center to a cocked position back to center within a split second (almost like a shaking motion). I think it's something you just have to see. I will try to take a video of Joo Joo doing it tomorrow (if I can find the cd for the drivers for my web cam). It is odd when you actually see it happening.

Kay, Jayjay does wing twitching too? lol :D that now is odd.

Leel
04-08-2010, 09:13 AM
If you mean just a head tilt they'er looking and listening to you :)
My lizard is like that too seeming as their eyes are on the side of their head the get a good view they tilt it sometimes.
It's very cute too especially when my lizards heating lamp turns off and she looks up at it. :D

Caspir
04-08-2010, 09:16 AM
It's far more than a head tilt. It's a very fast and quick shake of the head. It looks like they're tying to shake off or shake away something... like your irritating voice talking to them. :o

Ambisense
04-08-2010, 02:54 PM
Oh this is frustrating...I spent a couple of hours looking for my web cam to make the video with no success. I tried googling the behavior with no hits and youtube doesn't have any vids either. I will keep looking for the web cam. Too bad my camera doesn't take vids =-\

Leel
04-08-2010, 05:39 PM
Oh ok then, I can't really say I know what you mean.
I think I have an idea... :p