How To Remove Poo From Their Feet? [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: How To Remove Poo From Their Feet?

the Julles
11-05-2009, 07:34 PM
I know this has been discussed before, but I did a search and can't find anything.

My babies all have poop stuck on their toes. It's HARD.

How can I remove it, without hurting the chicks or stressing the mom? I'm afraid it will deform the feet.

Thanks.

Guthwulf
11-05-2009, 08:55 PM
Two ways really. Soften it by dunking the feet in warm water and wiping, then repeating until they are clean.

Or my preferred option (which does take a bit of skill and know how to do gently as you dont want to rip off toenails), just hold the baby and pick off the DRY poop with your fingers and nails. Comes off pretty easily except the nails which can be tricky and very sensitive for the birds.

Flight
11-05-2009, 08:58 PM
Two ways really. Soften it by dunking the feet in warm water and wiping, then repeating until they are clean.

Or my preferred option (which does take a bit of skill and know how to do gently as you dont want to rip off toenails), just hold the baby and pick off the DRY poop with your fingers and nails. Comes off pretty easily except the nails which can be tricky and very sensitive for the birds.

I agree, fill a small basin with warm water, easiest, and probably the most enjoyable way to remove debris from feet.

Kerry C
11-06-2009, 04:21 PM
If you keep cleaning the feet daily it does not really have time to "dry." Also by doing this you are getting the chicks use to being handled. If they are not being hurt by breaking the skin or ripping off a toe nail the chick will continue to be easy to handle / sell at a later date.

SusanBudgies
11-06-2009, 05:58 PM
I prefer the warm water approach. It's less stressful for the chicks.