My Budgie has a hurt leg? Help! [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: My Budgie has a hurt leg? Help!

wildwood
10-04-2009, 12:51 PM
Budgie has a hurt leg and unsure what to do. Is there anything to do? It sits in the cage holding up one leg and has been doing this for the past two days. Will put no weight on one leg what so ever. What can you do?

Robin's Nest
10-04-2009, 01:36 PM
Hi there, Wildwood - welcome to Talk Budgies:)

Do you know what caused the hurt leg?

The thing that you can do is take your bird to an avian vet, that is a veterinarian that specializes in birds. If one is not available, call regular (dog and cat) vets and find someone who will take care of the leg. The vet will determine what is wrong and what needs to be done to fix it. In the meantime, you can handicap access the cage, making the perches lower and making it easier for your bird to get around. But only a vet is going to be able to determine what is wrong with your bird and thus address the problem. :)

stacey101
10-04-2009, 01:38 PM
welcome to the flock!

how did he hurt his leg? is their any blood?
I agree with Robin take him to the avian vet

aka.pody
10-04-2009, 01:49 PM
Hello. As Robin said, placing perches so it will be easier for him to get around is a big help.
If it's only a minor sprain he should be better in a couple of days.
But to be on the safe side it would be best to have an avian vet look at it.
I hope he gets better really soon.

wildwood
10-04-2009, 02:46 PM
Hi there, Wildwood - welcome to Talk Budgies:)

Do you know what caused the hurt leg?

The thing that you can do is take your bird to an avian vet, that is a veterinarian that specializes in birds. If one is not available, call regular (dog and cat) vets and find someone who will take care of the leg. The vet will determine what is wrong and what needs to be done to fix it. In the meantime, you can handicap access the cage, making the perches lower and making it easier for your bird to get around. But only a vet is going to be able to determine what is wrong with your bird and thus address the problem. :)

Thank yu for responding do you think it could be a internal problem that is making it look like a bad leg I'm worried about my little Ruby..

Robin's Nest
10-04-2009, 02:50 PM
Thank yu for responding do you think it could be a internal problem that is making it look like a bad leg I'm worried about my little Ruby..

That is always a possibility - something pressing on the leg to the nerve such as a tumor for example, or a problem with the kidneys, liver, etc. Or it could be sore toe, a sore muscle. Because the possibilities range from mild to severe, this is the reason we suggest an assessment. :)

wildwood
10-04-2009, 03:25 PM
No blood I'm just sick about Ruby do you think it could be internal but is making it look like the leg is bad.

Robin's Nest
10-04-2009, 04:33 PM
No blood I'm just sick about Ruby do you think it could be internal but is making it look like the leg is bad.

I wish it were possible to say or to know; it unfortunately is not. Have you found a suitable vet so that you can schedule an appointment?

louara
10-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Welcome to Talk Budgies.
I am sorry to hear that your budgie is not feeling well.
I agree with our members that you should have him looked at by an avian vet. The sooner the diagnoses the more probable possibility for a positive outcome.
Good luck and keep us posted on his condition.

missmadison
10-19-2009, 04:48 PM
How is Ruby doing? I hope better!

Keep a close eye on her behavior (is she puffed up, appear to be breathing heavy, not eating, any change in her droppings) Birds are excellent at hiding their illnesses, so these clues are important! For example, if she is looking a little 'off' and then perks up when you approach her cage, she is probably pretending to feel fine when she's not.

Southview Animal Hopsital is one of the vets we use (Dr. Foster) and I've also heard good reviews about Dr. Baille in Lake Elmo http://www.cedarpetclinic.com I think he may be the closest avian vet to you.

Keep us updated on how she's doing! (And again, feel free to call me with any bird questions!)

Jessika