Budgies tail fell off! [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Budgies tail fell off!

Katerina
06-06-2009, 07:47 PM
My yellow harlequin budgie, Kiwii's tail fell off!!! Is this normal? Is it a disease? What should I do? All the feathers fell off.:budgie:

Budgiekin
06-06-2009, 07:50 PM
Yes, this is most likely absolutely normal. Usually there is a somewhat frightful event that leads to shedding all of the tail feathers at once as this type of shed typically doesn't happen during a regular moult.

Essentially this is a defense mechanism (i.e a response to predators) as it allows a quick escape. Many members have had this experience with their budgies and often refer to their budgies as "duck butts" since their tails are so short.

My budgie Kiwi lost all his tail feathers once when we had brought him to a pet store to get his wings clipped. He escaped and was flying all over the store and the lady tried to grab him only she just got the tips of some of his tail feathers so he "released them" so he could get away...

I hope this helps!

Katerina
06-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Wow...I never knew...so will they grow back? I don't think that they fell off all at once, I'm pretty sure that it was in a couple of weeks...what does this mean?

Goldielover
06-06-2009, 07:52 PM
Sounds like a perfectly normal moult to me.:) Midge went completely "duck butt" last fall, and May lost both her long tail feathers this spring. They grow back fairly quickly.

Here's a picture of a tailless Midge. She's not really as fat as she looks in this picture - she was just scrunched down a bit awkwardly on that toy.:D

http://i301.photobucket.com/albums/nn75/Goldielover_01/Dscf1036.jpg

Budgiekin
06-06-2009, 07:55 PM
In that case, it sounds like a regular moult.

And yes, they will absolutely grow back! :)

Katerina
06-06-2009, 08:17 PM
Yes!!! That's wonderfull! Thank you guys soooo much! Now, there's nothing to worry about! YAY!!!:cool:

naburu
06-07-2009, 01:03 AM
What is a harlequin budgie? I have never heard that term?

sweetkeetsx4
06-08-2009, 02:52 AM
Yes, both my Fluffikins and my Kiwi (lol) lost all tail feathers. Fluffy was in the cage with Mystery and Killer, last spring, and I think the three of them actually got into a nasty argument over Mystery. (She was in the process of bonding with Killer, and I'm the idiot that put 2 males and a female in the same cage.) Then when we got Kiwi, she was a duck butt within a day of being here.
It's kind of funny to see them without tail feathers, but as Goldielover said, they grow back quick and it's pretty normal. :rolleyes:

Kiwi must be a very common name for a Budgie, lol. ;)

louara
06-08-2009, 11:57 AM
What is a harlequin budgie? I have never heard that term?

Yes it is normal that her tail fell off and don't worry it will grow back.;) Gracie-Mae is also a Harlequin budgie. The Harlequin is a recessive pied budgie. This variation is also called the Danish Pied Budgie. The Recessive Pied Light Green has a buttercup yellow mask. Their bodies has patches of light green and yellow. They have a varying amount of black throat spots, and silvery or white cheek patches. I was told that Gracie-Mae also has a mix of Cinnamon in her. They are beautiful budgies and larger in size than the norm.

Katerina
06-13-2009, 01:13 PM
Yeah, a Harlequin budgie is just a breed - a yellow budgie with black and white marks, my Kiwii also has blue-green marks! Some other budgie breeds are...Universal Budgies - very expensive! Or fancy budgies - very cheap!

Maple
06-13-2009, 01:33 PM
Yes, interestingly you don't see the term "harlequin" used much anymore. When I had budgies like 30 years ago, we had a harlequin - very pretty - mostly white with some violet and of course some black markings. At least in our area at that time, they were called harlequin rather than pied. Having recently got budgies again, I was surprised to see the term pied. Also pleasantly surprised at the number of beautiful yellow pieds that are around. I don't remember seeing them years ago, just the white mutations, but again of course that could have just been in my area.

Katerina
06-14-2009, 07:09 PM
Kiwi is a pretty common name for budgies, any really, any kind of pet, which is why I added some originality to her name: Kiwii! I wanted it to be Kiwaii, but my BFF Chelsea said, that it would only succeed in confusing people so...Kiwii it became!!! lol - kinda random post but, if you scroll upwards, someone did mention it...sorry that I didn't quote it! Thnxxx

Maple
06-15-2009, 07:48 AM
My baby Ollie is going through his first molt now and yesterday he lost his long tail feathers. So he's got a "duck butt" now too, funny little guy. I've seen is mentioned too that it sort of makes them look like a parrotlet.

Katerina
06-16-2009, 04:34 PM
so...do u think kiwi's a boy or girl? cere still hasn't changed color even though she/he's like 5-7 months old...is this normal??????

Mom2Kiwi
06-16-2009, 04:44 PM
I'd say Kiwii's a girl. My bird kiwi has the same color cere, and everybody was telling me that she's a girl.:)

stacey101
06-16-2009, 05:17 PM
everyone else got thsi covered the only thing i can add is..
Duck-BUT!!:D:D

Katerina
06-18-2009, 06:59 PM
lol, i 2 ppl say boy and 2 ppl say girl...i dont know what to think!!!

I think she looks cute with a duck-butt! :)

Claudia
06-20-2009, 08:40 AM
Your Kiwi looks like a recessive pied to me, also called Danish pied.
From what I have read today, a Harlequin refers only to the pieds with blue on them, not green.
If Kiwi is a girl, she should by now have white, tan or brown cere.
If it is still pink, Kiwi would be a boy.
http://www.budgietalk.com/mutations.html
http://www.****************/colorsguide.html

I have been researching it a lot today, as I picked up our new family member today :D a baby recessive pied and I am thinking boy, as there are no white rings around the nostrils (now here's hoping that that "theory" goes up for recessive pieds ;) )

Little bub has still not been named though :( sighhhhh

Katerina
06-22-2009, 07:51 PM
His/her cere has never been pink: it is purple. I know for sure that Kiwii is a harlequin Budgie cuz I bought him/her from a pet store and I doubt that they would lie/can't tell the difference. How do u know that its a boy/girl because it seems 2 me that u guys r just guessing...

Lola B.
06-26-2009, 02:51 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread and clog up the place but I have found three tail feathers on the floor (today) of Lola and Budgie's cage.

Is this also normal?

miss parakeet
06-26-2009, 02:53 PM
yes they will grow back...very nice looking birdie:)

Lola B.
06-26-2009, 02:57 PM
Thanks. I was worried.

critter mom
06-26-2009, 03:06 PM
My Noel had that happen last year. It freaked me out at the time. I think he did get in fight or was frightened by a bird I had then named Flower. It grows back.