My Zebra Finch layed 1 egg ! [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: My Zebra Finch layed 1 egg !

nokia6630videos
05-25-2009, 01:06 PM
i'm happy but disappointed at the time ,
my white zebra layed 1 egg this morning:D , but it was at the bottom of the cage....broken :eek::eek::eek::eek:
BROKEN !!!!! oh god ,WHYYY !!!! :angry1:
stupid bird .... why not laying it in the nest ???? she goes to the nest all the time :S:S:(
but it's a good start , she look bigger than the male now, stuffed with eggs :D:D:D not as active as before , sleeping in the nest almost all the time ,
i hope she know where to lay next time...
she sit from time to time on the broken egg :p
really retarded :duhh: ,maybe that's why i chose her at the pet store :D:D

Robbie T
05-25-2009, 01:29 PM
wow beautiful birds

sorry about the egg :( i've heard many birds do this with their firts egg anyway its sort of like "oops what was that that just fell out of me?, oh an egg, maybe i should sit in the nest box for a bit just incase another one comes"

Nicky's mom
05-27-2009, 12:18 PM
I've had finches before and they will do that from time to time. As long as there is a nest box she will eventually lay them in there. Make sure she gets LOTS of calcium as laying eggs takes a lot of calcium and will take it from her tiny bones if she isn't getting enough. Make sure she has a cuttlefish bone and scrape some of the cuttlefish bone onto her food every day to make sure she gets enough.
Here's hoping you have a nest full of cute chirping babies soon! :)

aka.pody
05-27-2009, 07:32 PM
Hi Joe. Is there enough nesting material in the cage? The male builds the nest. He'll re-arrange the nest over and over until he thinks it's just right. Without the nesting material chances are slim to none about her laying in the nest.

I started off with a pair of brown/gray zebras. Next thing I knew there were two babies. Then since we didn't take the nest out there were four more a few months later. So we got eight for the price of two. :rolleyes:

There's a lot to consider when mating zebras. As soon as she had the babies she started biting and really trying to hurt them. The females get extremely jealous of their mate. So now the pair have been in a separate cage since she had them all. Just something to consider.

Zebras will mate until they die if there's a nest. Here's a really good finch forum you might check out. They were a tremendous help when mine started laying. Boy did I have questions. :eek:
http://www.finchforum.com/

If you need any more help just let me know. I'll see if I can help at all. :)

Whistle&Steve
05-27-2009, 09:59 PM
Is she a first time mother? That may explain the not laying it in the nest thing. I've been doing ALOT of research on bird breeding latley

nokia6630videos
05-29-2009, 10:58 AM
today still nothing...
she only layed that egg...
and her shape changed too, she is tiny again
but spending most of her time in the nest,
i guess i must give it time ,

ozzie
05-29-2009, 11:04 PM
Congrats on the egg but sorry that the one broke :(

aka.pody
05-30-2009, 12:00 AM
It's too bad that one broke. Never know if it was fertile or not. :(
They usually lay their eggs in the morning for some reason. If you happen to notice the male being very busy in the cage with nest building it's a pretty sure thing that she'll lay more eggs.

Are you sure that there are no eggs in the nest? The first time my female laid eggs I thought there were only five eggs. Turned out that there were actually eleven. Out of all those only two were fertile in that clutch.

What are you using for nesting material?

nokia6630videos
05-30-2009, 04:48 AM
i was starting to lose hope in the male :mad:
he really does nothing at all :(:(
but something strange happened today :eek:
i saw them mating !!!!!!!!!:D:D
he went on top of her but couldn't stay very long cos of his deformed legs
they both felt on the bottom of the cage :(
but i'm sure he will do it again !!!
and i put in the cage some nesting materials ,
i thought i must wait untill tomorow cos i read somewhere they build the nest at night , i wasn't even sure they gonna build one
but the second i threw the nesting materials in the cage
the male run all over them and started picking everything and move it the the nest :eek::D:cool::p:o:rolleyes: !!!!!!!!!
he doesn't mind me starring all the time at the process
as if i wasn't here, even when they mated i was watching ,
i really thought they like to be alone when they do their stuff

and aka.pody ,
i took a pic of a of the nesting materials , i don't know how they call it but all i know it's natural , not plastic or something , it doesn't melt when i burn it .

aka.pody
05-30-2009, 11:07 AM
Well it might happen this time. :)
They mate really fast. It only takes them a few seconds.
I love the picture where he's sitting in front of his house with the string in his beak. Already proud of his accomplishment.
The male will build and fuss with the nest all day. Always re-arranging until he thinks it's just right for her.
The nesting material you're using looks just about right. You can even use raffia. I found it in a craft store. The pieces should be no longer than two inches so I think you've got it.
And you've got the perch in front so when the babies come out they have something to stand on.
Well, we'll see in a couple of weeks if there's little chirping coming from their house. Good luck. :fingerx:

p.s. I just noticed your message. Don't use cotton balls.

nokia6630videos
06-08-2009, 12:43 PM
:party10::party3::party2:
SHE LAYED 1 NEW EGG !!!!
IN THE NEST !!!!!:D:D:D
I'M HAPPYYYYYYY !!!:D:D:D
but something is bothering me,
the she's not going to the nest like before , always living the egg alone...
is that normal ?????

pinktaffy
06-08-2009, 01:47 PM
well im not 100% sure its the same as caneries but but this is what my canerie does and i phoned a vet and they said they only leave the egg 1 if they dont think its gonna hatch or if they leave it and keep going bak the room temprature is rite it only needs to be a certon temp aslong as she keeps going bak and sits onit more than shes out with caneries thats fine. and i had 2 baby caneries 1 died but they still were born and now i have 3 more eggs in the nest waiting lol im gonna have a house full

miss parakeet
06-08-2009, 01:53 PM
my bros tiel did the same thing..only the one she layed:(

aka.pody
06-08-2009, 11:35 PM
Glad to hear about the egg. Either mom or dad should be on the egg 24/7. Usually when the female leaves to eat or take a bath the male will take over.
If the female abandons the nest the male should take over.
They can be left alone in the nest for a short time only.

I never had that problem with mine so I really can't advise on the next step.

nokia6630videos
06-09-2009, 05:50 AM
2 pics i took this morning...
still 1 egg in the nest :)

aka.pody
06-09-2009, 02:02 PM
I hope they hatch. You'll know in about two weeks. :D

A-n-M
06-09-2009, 02:21 PM
The first egg is always the trial run for finches especially if it's their first clutch. They never know what to do. My finches just stood outside looking at the egg as if it were an alien. I thought to myself okay I guess these birds just have a lose srew, but then they got the idea of it. Anyway after that I ended up with more than I bargained and hoped they really did have a loose ***** because I then had 3 clutches and about 7 chicks. They were cutes though. Miss them :(

Hopefully they hatch and by way that female is really gorge, reminds me of my Peanut.

aka.pody
06-09-2009, 11:51 PM
The first egg is always the trial run for finches especially if it's their first clutch. They never know what to do. My finches just stood outside looking at the egg as if it were an alien. I thought to myself okay I guess these birds just have a lose srew, but then they got the idea of it. Anyway after that I ended up with more than I bargained and hoped they really did have a loose ***** because I then had 3 clutches and about 7 chicks. They were cutes though. Miss them :(

Hopefully they hatch and by way that female is really gorge, reminds me of my Peanut.

You're right. I forgot about their first clutch. At first they really aren't sure what to do. Then they suddenly get the hang of it as if a light went on in their tiny finch brains.
Funny thing about zebras...they're baby machines. That's why after mine had their second clutch the nest came out. Thank goodness they were all girls. Mom and dad are in a separate cage just hanging out now. :D

nokia6630videos
06-10-2009, 04:53 AM
:party10::party3::party2::jumping::laughing1:
1 NEW EGGS !!!!!!!!
KRIS IS FINALLY SITING ON THEM ALL THE TIME!!!!!!!
not bad for a crazy bird :D:D:D:D:D:D
but she goes out from time to time to take some cuttlebone and drink ,
the male isn't feeding her, he's busy building the nest and sitting on the eggs from time to time :)
isn't he supposed to feed her ????:S
right now they r both in the nest , sitting together on the eggs ;)
the eggs r very visible, they r not trying to hide them :D:D

aka.pody
06-10-2009, 04:09 PM
So far so good. He'll be still busy re-arranging the nest. They nest perfectionists.
Isn't it cute when they both sit in the nest.
He doesn't have to feed her. She'll come out when she's hungry. That's when dad usually takes over. Sometimes the female will kick the male out of the nest. So don't be surprised if that happens.

Well, two weeks from the first egg.....pretty exciting.
Hope it all goes well. Do you know how many eggs are in there? Sometimes they'll get buried and you can't see them.

Can you move the perch closer to the nest opening? When the babies come out they usually just fall. It helps if the perch is close enough to the nest opening.
Also, when the time comes, put a small towel in the bottom of the cage. Like I said, they usually just fall on their first flight. That's a long way for babies to fall. Also sometimes the babies, accidentally fall out or they're pushed out before they fledge. I had that problem so I had to keep putting them back in the nest. Thankfully they all made it.

nokia6630videos
06-11-2009, 06:04 AM
i think there's only two...
but now that Kris is moving and cleaning the nest i spotted a third one :eek::D:D
but i'm not sure , my nest is really small and dark
both r in the nest as usual :)

nokia6630videos
06-11-2009, 07:24 AM
IT WAS HIDDEN :eek::D:eek::D
I HAVE 3 EGGS!!!!! :party3::party10::party2:
but it's soo hard to take a picture , the parent r all the time in the nest , both sitting on them at the same time :o
i will try to take a pic soon ;)

A-n-M
06-11-2009, 09:47 AM
Congrats!! :D

nokia6630videos
06-12-2009, 04:51 AM
I HAVE 4 EGGS !!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:party2::party2:
and i'm sure she ready for the more, she spends like 4 minutes taking huge pieces from the cuttlebone.
i took some pics when they were both out.:rolleyes:

A-n-M
06-12-2009, 10:35 AM
That is really cute. Makes me miss the first time my finches had a clutch. Can't wait to see babies.

Cassidy
06-12-2009, 10:46 AM
yay iv seen finches raising babbies at petstores but not on here. It must be amazing!!Ill be looking at this for a while =-) Post pictures please!!

nokia6630videos
06-13-2009, 08:23 AM
ONE MORE EGG TODAY !!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
i think she ready for one or two more,:p
and i'm waiting ,
the first egg was laid almost 1 week ago !!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
i can't take any pics now , she always sitting on them :mad:
maybe later....;)

aka.pody
06-16-2009, 10:59 PM
I thought there would be another egg hidden in there. :) Pictures are always great but sometimes it's best to not disturb them too much.
Won't be long now before they start to hatch.
Don't forget to put a little cloth under the nest on the cage bottom in case the babies fall out or get pushed out. It can get crowded in there. You might find yourself picking up a chick or two before they fledge.
They're so cute when they hatch. They look like little fuzzy erasers. :D

Heatherz2boyz
06-16-2009, 11:44 PM
Congrats on all your eggs!!!

nokia6630videos
06-20-2009, 06:32 AM
ok,i understand kris is willing to becom a mom:p,
but i'm starting to get worried ,
6 EGGS ???? how many proteins and stuff has she lost so far ???
shouldn't she stop now ???????:eek:
and her belly is still huge !!:eek:
i guess she will go for 2 more :eek:
i really hope she stops now ...
egg number 1 was laid 13 days ago ,it's gonna hatch soon
and today 1 new egg ?????
what a delay !!!!!!!

SpickyDavies
06-20-2009, 06:43 AM
maybe once one hatchs it'll throw her off egg laying course :P
they can have up to 8 eggs and over

Brown9944
06-20-2009, 07:56 AM
Wow! They're not much smaller than budgie eggs! That surprised me :eek:!

I was expecting some kind of tiny white ball :rolleyes:
Anyway, you've got some cute finches and I hope all works out well for you and them ;)

aka.pody
06-20-2009, 11:21 AM
Hatching day is near if not already here. From what I've experienced and learned they hatch exactly 14 days after laying. Quite remarkable.
If they don't hatch within the next couple of days you should candle them.
When my pair had their first clutch there were eleven eggs. I removed all the ones that didn't hatch. So chances are you might have a few non-fertile ones in there.
Keep in mind that they lay eggs until the day they die. You'll probably want to remove the nest once they are fledged. No nest = no babies.
At first I wanted to keep the nest in because they liked it. But the laying wouldn't stop. I really felt bad taking it out but they adjusted immediately. They're very forgiving little birds. They really don't need a nest just to sleep in.
Now my female of the pair will lay an egg occasionally as will their girls. Nowhere near as many as there would be if there was a nest in there.

Can't wait to hear the news. Keep us posted. :)

stacey101
06-20-2009, 11:30 AM
congrats!! are they fertile?

nokia6630videos
06-21-2009, 04:17 AM
:eek::eek::eek::eek: what is she up to ????:eek::eek::eek::eek:
4 egg were good already !!!!!!!!!!
why more ????????????????????????????????????????
shouldn't she stop ????
they r too many!!! she can't sit on all of them !!!!!
she's only 1 year old i guess ...:S
how many eggs should i expect to hatch ????
cos i think only few r fertile if not none...

aka.pody
06-21-2009, 08:24 PM
Aren't any of them hatched yet. It's been 14 days right?
Like I said, my pairs first clutch had eleven eggs. Only two of those hatched.
I left them in the nest and after a few days then disposed of them.

I think they get excited about that first clutch and just don't know when to stop.
Don't feel bad about disposing the older eggs. It's just something that has to be done.

She'll continue to lay eggs as long as the nest is there. Not much you can do now though except wait until they begin to hatch and then remove the old ones.

Some people manage to put a mark on the eggs so they know which ones are old. You can actually use a felt tip marker. I know you hate to disturb the nest but sometimes these things are necessary. Then you'll know which eggs aren't fertile and you can dispose those.

nokia6630videos
06-22-2009, 04:12 AM
today still 7 eggs (thank god)
but as akapody said it's day 14 or 15, still no hatch,
i'm not disapointed cos i knew not all the eggs are fretil but the only thing that bother me is to put my hand inside the nest which i never did before,
how much must i wait before taking out the old eggs ,
how can i even now which are the old ones????
now that my crazy finch layed 2 egg two day ago ????:S:(:eek:
i'm gonna wait till the end of the month before i start to candle them,
but what if at the end of the month she lay the 8th egg ?? old and new eggs will get mixed again and i'll have to commit suicide :mad::eek::mad::eek::mad::eek:
i cannot mark my eggs , that's crazy :(:eek:
i'm gonna give it time and see what's gonna happen...

aka.pody
06-22-2009, 11:28 AM
It's okay to wait until the end of the month. Do you remember exactly when they started sitting on the eggs nonstop? Because it's from that day that you count fourteen days to hatch day.

Now is a good time to candle all the eggs.
Can you take a really good look inside the nest. Sometimes a chick will hatch but you won't hear it for a few days.

rose932
06-22-2009, 03:40 PM
i love thoes birds i use to have some:)

nokia6630videos
06-23-2009, 02:28 PM
:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek: :eek::eek:
8 eggs !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
what is that bird up to ???????????
she can't sit on all of them !!!!!
that's crazy !!!!

stacey101
06-23-2009, 06:56 PM
wow 8!
I think you better candle some if they havent hatched yet

nokia6630videos
06-24-2009, 02:58 PM
can i touch the egg ???
to candle it ??? :S:S:S
what will be the reaction of the parents ???:eek::eek::eek:
i never touched the nest !

aka.pody
06-25-2009, 09:40 PM
It's okay to pick up the eggs to candle them. They're very fragile.
It's really what needs to be done in order to thin out the nest. A lot of times they'll break the eggs and eat them so don't be alarmed if you find a broken egg or two.
The parents usually just go back to the nest as if you were never there.
Good luck.

Do you have any idea when she started to incubate the eggs? You count fourteen days since they started to sit on them day and night. That would be the hatch day. I know it's hard. At first I didn't even count the days and just waited an extra week and then babies hatched. So if you don't know exactly when they started sitting on them you sort of have to guess on their hatch day. :)

nokia6630videos
07-05-2009, 12:52 PM
sorry for not giving any new since last week , but something really horrible happened:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
i woke up and found everything in the nest at the bottom of the cage, few eggs were broken...
and the birds didn't even cared , the nest was still there but someone pulled everything outside...
i realised the birds did it :eek::eek::eek:
they took everything on the floor, strings and other nesting materials and started building another nest on the other side of the cage, they don't like the olde nest !!!!!!!!:mad::mad:
i took the 6 eggs left and candled them ,only one was fertile !!
the other two that broke were not fertile too.
ONLY 1 EGGS WAS FERTILE :(:mad::eek::(:mad::eek: !!!!!!!!!!

2 months ago, before i buy the 2 zebra finchs, i bought a semi circular red nest (made of plastic) but was later told that usually zebra never lay eggs in that type of nest, so i left it in the cage and bought them the other nest.
4 days ago , they made their second nest on the semi circular nest !!!! since that day 3 new eggs were layed, today she layed her fourth one...
lets see what happens next , cos after waht happened i have no idea what those crazy birds r up to...

miss parakeet
07-05-2009, 01:46 PM
my brothers tiel also layed a tiel from the top pearch...stupid bird

aka.pody
07-05-2009, 10:34 PM
Oh Joe this is sad news. They'll make a nest in anything. Some even use food cups. All you can do is try again. They usually aren't the best parents with the first clutch. Sometimes they just don't know what to do.
The nest you were using is fine.
It's not uncommon for them to abandon the nest or even destroy it. It'll be okay to put the fertile egg in their new nest. Lets hope for the best.

nokia6630videos
07-07-2009, 05:55 AM
still 4 eggs...
they'r sitting on them from time to time...

FrankieGomez
07-07-2009, 09:58 AM
wow thats exciting keep us updated

nokia6630videos
07-09-2009, 07:24 AM
hum...last night the little whor... i mean the little birdy layed 2 egg !!
this is the first time she lay 2 eggs the same night,
they r not sitting on them all the time....

aka.pody
07-09-2009, 11:00 AM
hum...last night the little whor... i mean the little birdy layed 2 egg !!
this is the first time she lay 2 eggs the same night,
they r not sitting on them all the time....

Oh yeah. :D She'll keep laying as long as the nest is there.
It's okay if they don't sit on them all the time at the beginning. Mine didn't either. Then suddenly there was always one or the other in the nest. Don't forget to mark your calendar when she lays them so you'll know when to expect babies. I'll keep my fingers crossed. :fingerx:

nokia6630videos
07-10-2009, 07:27 AM
hey, today the bitc...i mean the ignorent bird threw an egg from the nest and it broke...
:mad:
i guess it got pushed ...
they'r still sitting ONLY from time to time...
5 eggs so far...

aka.pody
07-13-2009, 11:54 AM
hey, today the bitc...i mean the ignorent bird threw an egg from the nest and it broke...
:mad:
i guess it got pushed ...
they'r still sitting ONLY from time to time...
5 eggs so far...

She seems to be a bad mom doesn't she. When the time is right they'll sit on them day and night. Hopefully.

nokia6630videos
07-13-2009, 02:15 PM
everything is in order again, 8 eggs, a wonderfull nest,
and finally THEY R SITTING ON THE EGGS ALL DAY LONG !!!...and night too:p
i think, the first egg was layed like 12 or 13 day ago...i'm not very sure...
i didn't counted coz i was really mad and hopless at the begining of the new clutch... but i think a chick must be here by the end of the week :D:D:D

nokia6630videos
07-14-2009, 06:23 AM
today egg number 9...

aka.pody
07-15-2009, 06:09 PM
Any little chirping yet?

nokia6630videos
07-16-2009, 03:20 PM
FIRST BABY HATCHED !!!!!!!!!!!!
WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
FINALLY !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
i wanna thank all the people who goved me advices specially aka pody !!!!!
i'm soooo happy !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
btw she layed her 10th egg yesterday :D:D

skyky10
07-16-2009, 03:30 PM
So sorry bout the broken egg :(

Robbie T
07-16-2009, 06:53 PM
congrats on the baby, pics please :D

nokia6630videos
07-17-2009, 05:52 AM
Dad just took a video of the second baby coming out of his egg !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D :D:D:D

i lost my camera's cable :mad:
i can't post any pic :(
but i'm gonna look for it everywhere and post the pic as soon as i can ;)

nokia6630videos
07-20-2009, 07:00 AM
today still two chicks,
they got bigger
one fertile egg broke at the bottom of the cage...:mad:

aka.pody
07-27-2009, 10:45 PM
Hi Joe. Sorry I didn't see this post sooner. I'm so glad that you have chicks. http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2350/3533041523_51fd2f6c9f_o.gif
They grow so fast. Try to get as many pics as you can.
Are they all healthy and moving about?
Oh I'm so happy for you. How many zebras do you want to have?
Be careful what you wish for. :rolleyes:
If you keep them all in the same cage there's bound to be fighting or arguing. Keep an eye on them. When my pair had their first two girls, the hen picked on them terribly when they fledged. We had to get them away from her and into a separate cage where they've been since.
There's also four other girls of theirs in another cage. That mother hen sure doesn't want her girls near her man.

I hope it all goes smooth for you from here on. Keep us posted on how the babes are coming along.

Congratulations on the newbies. :)

sau70
07-31-2009, 05:01 AM
whta happened next?! what happened next?!
i been following this and my birds had eggs aswell, but they were abandoned:(....GUILTY....
but im sure theyll start laying agains soon. WHAT HAPPENED NEXT!

nokia6630videos
07-31-2009, 04:16 PM
okay, it's been a little while,
i started with 10 eggs
only 2 chicks made it ....
but it's not that bad , it's their first clutch !!!!!! ;) (or must i say second???:S)
the biggest mistake i made is letting them make their second nest in that half circle uncovered nest box, i realized later that i have 10 damn eggs in such a little place, eggs started to get pushed and later baby chicks :(
-4 eggs broke ( got puched out ofthe nest, 2 were fertile )
-4 chicks died ( got pushed too )
-2 chick suvived, they r very healthy and got the cutest voice ever !!!!!!:D:D
if only i got a bigger nest i would have ended with 8 chicks....
but i can't say i didn't learned tons of things :)
and now that i got some experience i can start later this year with their next clutch and make sure i won't commit the same mistakes.
i wanna thank every person that helped me and gived me advices :D:D:D
and btw my 2 babies are 16 days old and ready to fedge :cool:
i guess i'm gonna give them in a week or 2 to my cousin, i really inspired him with my zebra finch adventure !

miss parakeet
07-31-2009, 06:12 PM
i love zebra finches..where do you live? in the U.K?

nokia6630videos
07-31-2009, 07:30 PM
i found my camera cable !!!!!!:party2:
now i can post the pictures !!!!!
but i didn't took any in a while so i'm gonna post the old pics today
(and the the youtube link of the hatching baby chick)
and i'll take some new pics later
so, this is the youtube url
YouTube - Zebra finch chick hatching
and the pictures...ENJOY!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

aka.pody
07-31-2009, 10:57 PM
I'm so happy for you. He sure is being a good daddy.
Isn't it a great feeling seeing those little feathery babies. Funny thing about zebras is that you never know what you're going to get. They can be just about any color.
Is the white one pure white? Babies might be white/tan. No matter what they'll be beautiful. Congratulations on a successful hatching.

p.s. great video btw. :)

nokia6630videos
08-01-2009, 08:52 AM
this is the pics i took today
the babies got big !!!!!
and r almost ready to fly !!!
one was trying to jump :D
one is 17 days old the other is 18

miss parakeet
08-01-2009, 08:57 AM
wow their cute:D

aka.pody
08-01-2009, 11:21 AM
The mother is treating them okay isn't she? Sometimes the hen can be a little mean to them.
They look so content with each other. Beautiful girls. :)

nokia6630videos
08-03-2009, 09:09 AM
today my chicks started wondering around in the cage and learning how to eat and stuff like that :D:D:D:D
but from time to time they go back to the nest and relax in it and even wait for the their parents to feed them !!!!:p
but i have a little problem, the femal started laying eggs again, 2 so far ,
what should i do ??????
leave her starting her 3rd clutch or remove the nest ??????
and aka pody, the mom is not hurting them
she's very nice and even when she layed the eggs she didn't try to chace them ;)

miss parakeet
08-03-2009, 09:37 AM
do Z.finches built nest them selves?
thats what i heard

nokia6630videos
08-03-2009, 12:13 PM
they build there own nest, u just have to give them the right materials
basicly the male builds it but i spotted the femal helping him a little bit.

Cassidy
08-03-2009, 12:34 PM
wow!! the babys are so cute!!! I want one now!! Wow another cluth?? crazy bird!

aka.pody
08-03-2009, 06:14 PM
Joe, she'll continue laying eggs unless you take the nest out. I felt bad when I took the nest out but after a day they acted like they didn't even miss it.
They like to sleep in it but to the hen it'll always be a nest.
So unless you want to start all over again it's best to take it out now. Try not to feel too badly about doing it. Also, always keep in mind that zebras are egg laying machines. If the nest is there they'll mate till the day they die.
The females will always lay eggs whether they have a mate or not; just like chickens do. But when the nest is gone the eggs will be few and far between.
Good luck. :)

p.s. I'm glad they're eating on their own. The one with the black patch on the chest is very unique. The breeders over at finchforum.com can tell you exactly what their coloring is.

nokia6630videos
08-11-2009, 03:28 AM
i came home after spending 4 days at my grandma's place
before i go i put food and water and everything but i didn't removed the nest
coz the chicks spent all the time in it , even if they fledge, whenever they get cold or sleepy or scared they go to the nest , so i was sure they still needed the nest for a couple days,
when i saw the cage today, everything is okay
and the chicks completly left the nest !!!!:D:D
and they still beg for food!!!! and very noisy :)
but guess what ? the female have a cutch of 6 eggs in the nest:eek::eek:
what to do ????????:eek::eek:
i really wanted to remove the nest to prevent this to happen but i couldn't leave the chicks without it ...
i'm really desperate coz i think all the 6 eggs r fertile and the male is always sitting on them , i can't just throw them, but if i don't the female will keep laying eggs...:S:S
what must i do ??????:S:eek::S:eek::S:eek:

it doesn't stop here, the parents r starting to chase the chicks if they get close to the nest even if they r just going near it,
i separate them but the chicks look very stressed so i put their cage near their parents one, they scream whenever their parents come close ,
the parents cage is really big , why do the parents chase them ???? it could fit like 8 or 10 more finch !?!?!?!?!

aka.pody
08-12-2009, 04:56 PM
Uh Oh. That's why I suggested to remove the nest even though they go in it to sleep. They honestly and truly will be fine without it. I felt bad when I took the nest out but I had to so she wouldn't have any more babies.
That is all zebras do!

If you don't want any more babies you really need to remove the nest and eggs. I'm sure it'll break your heart but you have to consider the well being of the birds.

The female will chase her female chicks because she doesn't want them near her man. And that's the truth.

The fine people on the finch forum suggested that I remove the girls. I put the pair in the smaller cage on top of the large one with little covers at the ends so they can't see each other. Once I remove the little covers they go nuts.
So you should put the girls where they can't see the parents.
It's okay if they hear him but once they see him the mother hen starts going crazy with jealousy.

This is hard to hear but they will fight to the death.

With only one male it's really hard to keep zebras.
If you want to keep the eggs, hope and pray that she has a male or two. Then they can all live in happy harmony with no nest. :)

Mom2Kiwi
08-13-2009, 01:13 PM
I'm really sorry to hear about your finches egg.

Mom2Holly
08-13-2009, 02:22 PM
Wow! They just get higher and higher!!!!!!! LOL!

cONGRATS!!!!!

nokia6630videos
08-14-2009, 10:12 AM
it's okay, my finch is crazy, she layed like 31 eggs since i bought her,
she just lay, for no reason, just to waist time or to put something in the nest cos it looks empty...
but i'm sure she will stop soon and become really responsible, lay and take care of what she layed.

aka.pody
08-14-2009, 10:48 AM
Hi Joe. Read my post just before this one. She will definitely not stop laying as long as the nest is there.

Once the nest is out she might lay an egg occasionally like all finches do.

it's okay, my finch is crazy, she layed like 31 eggs since i bought her,
she just lay, for no reason, just to waist time or to put something in the nest cos it looks empty...
but i'm sure she will stop soon and become really responsible, lay and take care of what she layed.

nokia6630videos
08-17-2009, 08:46 AM
yes i read it
and i wanted to remove the nest but she stopped laying !!!!!
she layed 7 eggs and thats it !
it's been 5 days she didn't layed anything !!!
it will be a lost if i remove the nest now , becose the clutch is ready to hatch soon
she stopped laying after her seventh eggs, she only sit on the eggs now.
after the new clutch fledge, i'm sure i WILL remove the nest

aka.pody
08-17-2009, 10:45 AM
I'm sorry Joe. I hope I didn't seem rude. :o
After this clutch is fledged and on their own it'll be best to remove the nest for a while. Continuous laying can be stressfull for the hen and she'll need a constant supply of calcium. Sure, they'll might miss it for a day but they soon forget. As long as they have a high branch or two to sit on at night all will be cozy.

How many eggs do you expect to hatch? Can't wait to see what they'll look like. :)

nokia6630videos
08-17-2009, 02:54 PM
nop,:eek: don't think like that
ur not rude at all, ur one of my very few resourses of good advices here:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
i think 5 or 6 eggs r fertile:),
does it matter if there r dirt on them ???
btw my 2 chicks beaks r turning orange !!!!:D:D:D:D

aka.pody
08-17-2009, 03:40 PM
Thanks. So their eggs are a little dirty? No matter.

When do you expect them to hatch? Sounds like the babies are growing up. :D

SpickyDavies
08-17-2009, 04:24 PM
nop,:eek: don't think like that
ur not rude at all, ur one of my very few resourses of good advices here:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D
i think 5 or 6 eggs r fertile:),
does it matter if there r dirt on them ???
btw my 2 chicks beaks r turning orange !!!!:D:D:D:D

as long as there isn't poo all over them, a bit won't harm
but the egg may absorb the bacteria

nokia6630videos
08-19-2009, 06:25 AM
:party10::party3::party2::b-day:
baby no.1 is swiming betwen the eggs now :D:D:D:D:D
and the mom is really furious, she beats the **** out of her older sons if they go close to her nest.
and i found a broken egg at the bottom of the cage :mad: there was yolk spread all over it, i assume it was the last one she layed and it didn't had time to develope or it was simply unfertil, so i still have 5 eggs to go !!!!!!
pics coming soooooooon
i'm gonna try to take a picture every day and post it on time :)

aka.pody
08-21-2009, 06:58 PM
Hi Joe. That's mom and dad sitting in the nest right? (picture #3)
I thought their babies were all girls. You've got boys too?
The mother will usually go after the girls. You might have to get another cage.
If there's too much fighting they're going to have to be removed.
This is the hardest part of zebra breeding. Keeping peace. :)

MsBudgie
10-04-2009, 05:12 PM
When i had my zebra finches
we had a PRETTY small cage .
not the greatest breeidng habitat'
so the female eggs ..
eggs .
alot hatched !
buht then later died .
then she had 3 and laid 2 more.
one of them hatched
a lucky onee !
SHE survived .
unlike the others
soo cutee !
i love your babies.
reminds me of mine(:
i misss breeding em .
my one and only baby is with my cousins society finch .
they are good friends
POST PICTURES !