Tips for getting your budgie in...or out of their cage! [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Tips for getting your budgie in...or out of their cage!

Chicklet
02-13-2009, 06:31 PM
I've noticed alot of threads lately asking how to get thier budgie back in or out of thier cage so i decided to put together some ideas on how to do it :)

Getting Out of The Cage

Method 1:

open the door and wait - not the best option but it works well with some budiges ( like mine) who are unafraid and will just fly straight out

Method 2:

open the door and put millet outside the cage - usually works really well with almost any tame or untame budgie

Method 3:

have the budgie step up and take him slowly out the door- only works for the tame budgie and if your budgie is afraid of the "outside world" then taking them out could make them lose trust in your hand (because its taking them into this scary world :p)

Method 4:

open the roof and the door and place millet outside the cage - this i've found is the best way to get them out of the cage and you don't have to have a cage with a openable roof, most cages are built so that a portion of the roof can be removed (for easy shipping) but it works well to get them out too :XD:

Method 5:

have your budgie step up onto a familliar perch and take him out - can work well but can also be awkward to get out of the cage if you have a small door and again if your budgie is scared of the "outside world" then he'll probably just jump/fly off before you get to the door.

Getting Back Into the Cage

Method 1:

waiting until your budgie goes in on its own - the downfall of this is that you have to have alot of time and in the case where you need you budgie back in considerabley quicker than a couple hours this just isn't practical

Method 2:

putting millet in the cage - usually works but again not the fastest way to get your budgie back home and depends on the budgie being hungry too

Method 3:

have your budgie step up and place him in the cage - a good method time wise but depends on your budgie being tame. Also if your budgie is flighted and doesn't want to go back then they can just fly away.

Method 4:

pick up the cage and hold the door in front of your budgie so they can just hop right in - in my opinion the best way to get your budgie back home because it doesn't scare them and works well with tame or untame budgies. The only problen being if your cage is too big and/or awkward to pick up.

Method 5:

have your budgie step up onto a familiar perch, then put him back - will usually work with tame or untame budgie but if your budgie is flighted then this isn't the best option as they can just fly away.

Do not grab your budgie!!!! this destroys the carefully built trust you have with your budgie and will make them even more scared of being out of the cage!

***If you must get your budgie out of the cage, for a vet's appointment, picking on others etc, use a small towel or washcloth, at least this way your budgie won't be scared of your hands***

Hope this helps :D

helloyo53
02-13-2009, 06:53 PM
Thanks for posting this! This will help a lot of people who are trying to get their birds to come in or out of their cage. I would give you karma but I have to give it to more people before I could give some to you:)

pinktaffy
02-13-2009, 07:00 PM
some gr8 tips there. i used of them metheds on there with my first budgie i had. i havnt yet tryed to get my new budgie out the cage im trying to gain his trust first. but i will be useing alot of your tips as sum i never thought of b4

Chicklet
02-14-2009, 11:34 PM
thanks :) and thanks anyways Brandon(its the thought that counts:p)

chibudge
02-18-2009, 11:04 AM
Here is another idea:

Put some rope perches on the cage so there is something familiar to hang onto when out. It lets the bird be close to the cage, but out of it. I have one coming right to the front door and then another making a path to the top of the cage. He is much more comfortable on that they the bars on the top of the cage.

Hang treats from said perches so he has a reason to come out and sit on them.

I've been doing this and my bird will now freely wander out of his cage several times of the day. He doesn't fly off and explore much yet, but you can see him getting braver.

Butterflybear84
02-19-2009, 01:57 PM
With Sky I will get him out the door and then he will jump back onto the cage and climb Up to the top and will sit there< I will put the string of seeds Next to him and he will just sit there and eat and Sometimes I will put a piece of fruit or bread for him to munch on, Although he will still move away when I come to put him Away I think he is Starting to enjoy being out, yesterday I placed him on a high lamp we don’t use and he REALLY liked being above everyone, Although then hubby wanted to make dinner and we had to put him away but he just hopped right back in :)

mayhaila
03-18-2009, 01:49 PM
this thread is fantastic!! thank you so much for posting! my budgies have a problem getting out of the cage but getting them in the cage again is a piece of cake!!

shaz128blue
03-18-2009, 04:14 PM
Hi this is excellent, the guys should make this a sticky.

sschlitt
03-19-2009, 12:52 AM
Great post! This is when the new rating system comes in. And k for you! Well done and thank you for stressing the do not grab the budgie. I was guilty of this for so long! Not anymore. I know better and I think it is one of the biggest things I have learned!

Pippin's mom
03-19-2009, 02:29 AM
Well done Jamie!:) I'm sure this will be helpful to our members.

Jally
03-19-2009, 05:29 PM
I have a tip: Teach your budgie step up either on a finger or a perch but when you want them to go into their cage, use the same phrase each and every time. Later on, all you have to do is say that phrase and in they go :)

mrjam123
04-04-2009, 02:04 PM
:o I wish I had found this thread earlier. Jerry escaped from his cage today and it took me almost an hour to get him back! :o Anyway, thanks for the tips. I'll remember them next time.

Lorakeet
05-13-2009, 05:08 AM
I need to get my budgies out so I can clean their cage and they're not tame yet. This should be very helpful to me :) Thanks!

Lorakeet
05-13-2009, 05:10 AM
:o I wish I had found this thread earlier. Jerry escaped from his cage today and it took me almost an hour to get him back! :o Anyway, thanks for the tips. I'll remember them next time.

:laughing::laughing:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!

I'm not laughing at you, just the exact same thing happened to me a couple of days ago!

Mom2Holly
05-16-2009, 08:36 PM
thanks for the tips! they are really helpful!

rainpebble
05-17-2009, 04:20 PM
ohhhh I wish I'd read this four months ago! i've been taking my first budgie out with my hands before he was tame, and he HATES coming out, and when he is out he NEVER leaves the top of the cage. I've just got another one, so I'll make sure not to do the same with her and hopefully she'll teach him! THANK YOU SO MUCH! :)

SpickyDavies
05-17-2009, 04:47 PM
ohhhh I wish I'd read this four months ago! i've been taking my first budgie out with my hands before he was tame, and he HATES coming out, and when he is out he NEVER leaves the top of the cage. I've just got another one, so I'll make sure not to do the same with her and hopefully she'll teach him! THANK YOU SO MUCH! :)

if a bird is forced out, of course he'll be scared stiff and stay there :D

SpickyDavies
05-17-2009, 04:49 PM
don't forget perchs outside of the cage :D
and for the first few outings, do it in the evening, so as its gets darker your budgie will return home, or if not be easyer and less stressfull to catch

kathyjacks
05-27-2009, 06:42 PM
This was great information. I used method 5 . I just took his ladder perch and sprite would get on that but not me. I popped the top off the cage so the opening was big and took him out. He is still not comfortable coming out of the tiny little door unless he climbs out on his own. I eventually got him to use my hand/fingeras a perch as he got more use to me.

ypogeios
06-06-2009, 02:30 PM
Hi,

I have a problem with my budgie concerning coming in or out of the cage. Just for the info. His age around 8 months I think. I bought it a month ago and try hard to tame it. He responds very well. He likes my hands, wants me to scratch it all the time, enjoys the palm of my hand even on his back and obeys the up command.

BUT, when I have him on my finger and try to take him out of the cage, he jumps back on the perch. I tried a couple of times to keep him softly in my palm and move him in and out. He gets a bit worried or even afraid. When he is out nevertheless he behaves normally, flies a bit and sits on my hand for hours. But again when it is time to put him in the same problem.

So what do you suggest for a budgie absolutely familiar with my hand but so reluctunt to move in and out of his cage? I read the post in the beginning, tried it only a bit so far and no results. Of course I don't want to grab him all the time, he will start getting afraid of me and then all the effort and joy is gone!

Chicklet
06-06-2009, 08:27 PM
Hi,

I have a problem with my budgie concerning coming in or out of the cage. Just for the info. His age around 8 months I think. I bought it a month ago and try hard to tame it. He responds very well. He likes my hands, wants me to scratch it all the time, enjoys the palm of my hand even on his back and obeys the up command.

BUT, when I have him on my finger and try to take him out of the cage, he jumps back on the perch. I tried a couple of times to keep him softly in my palm and move him in and out. He gets a bit worried or even afraid. When he is out nevertheless he behaves normally, flies a bit and sits on my hand for hours. But again when it is time to put him in the same problem.

So what do you suggest for a budgie absolutely familiar with my hand but so reluctunt to move in and out of his cage? I read the post in the beginning, tried it only a bit so far and no results. Of course I don't want to grab him all the time, he will start getting afraid of me and then all the effort and joy is gone!

hi! :) welcome to the forum first off :)

it seems like your budgie really likes you, congrats! i think he's afraid of leaveing his "safe haven" and althrough he trusts you, he likes his cage more. you're definately right about the grabbing though, he'll soon start to associate your hand with something bad if you continue grabbing him..

so id say just let him come out on his own. then once he's out and has found that its ok to come out of the cage, then you can have him step up and play with him, etc. :)

hope this helps :)

ypogeios
06-08-2009, 08:51 AM
Ok, I see the common sense is to let him discover the possibility of leaving his cage by himself.

It sounds reasonable since I really think he trusts my hand. I'll give him a bit more time. As with all the other things he does, one day he was denying doing it and the next morning he was doing it very normally and calmly.

Thanks for the help and the welcoming to the forum!

ypogeios
06-10-2009, 07:13 AM
Good news already!

Yesterday, I rearranged the perches so as to leave only one and next to the open door. It took him about 20 sec to come out and climp on the top of the cage.

Getting in is still a bit of a problem, but the progress is rapid...

Thanks for your opinion!!!

riotfox
06-21-2009, 04:58 AM
good post, ive been trying to work on getting back into the cage a bit more with my budgies, although i do admit if im in a hurry and they are being stubborn i do have to grab cookie to get him back in. it doesnt really seem to have any long term effect except when i am actually holding him though. not that im saying ppl should do this. luckily though sodapop (who is less tame) will go back into his cage himself if cookie is already in there, cuz he hates 2 b alone.

ypogeios
07-07-2009, 03:18 AM
I ve noticed that if I short of grab him he doesn't complain. By short of I mean the following. Pseet has a tendency to stay out forever. When I put him on my hand and move him towards the entrance of the cage he flies back on the top of the cage. If I put my other hand on the top of him very gently and prevent him for a brief second to fly, then I'm able to put him in again.

My real problem is now the is that the place he mostly spends his time and I spend mine with him, in at my balkony. I put him indoors only for sleep to avoid being attacked by owls in the area. when he is outdoors he is extremely active and wabts to come out of his cage and play with me, which is impossible. When he is indoors where he can come out of the cage he doesn't simply feels like doing it....

rose2782
07-11-2009, 06:09 AM
thanx.. have one question though ... why is it that after my bird is out of the cage he just flies stright back in off my finger:S

rose2782
07-11-2009, 06:10 AM
I ve noticed that if I short of grab him he doesn't complain. By short of I mean the following. Pseet has a tendency to stay out forever. When I put him on my hand and move him towards the entrance of the cage he flies back on the top of the cage. If I put my other hand on the top of him very gently and prevent him for a brief second to fly, then I'm able to put him in again.

My real problem is now the is that the place he mostly spends his time and I spend mine with him, in at my balkony. I put him indoors only for sleep to avoid being attacked by owls in the area. when he is outdoors he is extremely active and wabts to come out of his cage and play with me, which is impossible. When he is indoors where he can come out of the cage he doesn't simply feels like doing it....

Thats a bad probelem

jebise101
07-12-2009, 03:39 AM
when i take mine out they get really scared they don't like my hand and just start hopping all over th place, i try to not grab but kida guide them the way back to the cage which sometimes works. Do you think it still a bit early to take them out? i can get them on my finger but only if i have millets, If there is no treats foir them they just don't come up. I feel that they still need some more training to get them to step up without millets, but dose that mean i should not let them out yet?

P.S there wings are clipped, at least thats what i was told but they are still very young 4-6 months and i dunno if they are able to fly at that age.

tannerdirtman
09-01-2009, 12:44 PM
thank you for all tht information. i have a mal parakeet tht will never come out of his cage. i will try some of the tips you put up

budgiesrock1
09-02-2009, 06:29 PM
Once I grabbed my budgie because it would not go back into it's cage how can i build its trust with me back because now it will not let me get it anymore HELP!!!

Alexander
09-03-2009, 01:58 PM
These are all very nice methods, but they don't really work, when your budgie likes outside of the cage more than inside. My Arthur doesn't exactly hate his cage and he likes to spend time in there IF HE IS LOCKED INSIDE! Otherwise, being outside is his main preference. He steps up, but he always jumps off when he realizes that I am trying to get him inside the cage.

Kiraine
09-07-2009, 07:53 AM
My budgies hate me too much to get near anything I'm offering them, so I'm food bribing them back in.

The bad thing is that they're clever little creatures and visit inside the cage to eat in turns. >_> Then they get on the top of the cage and start sleeping there so I can't go to bathroom or get anything to eat. They like taking control over me, duh.

JHFcyclist
10-25-2009, 10:48 PM
So..... this morning, I placed Tweety's perch in his cage fully expecting to have to entice him somehow to get on it and then watch him hop off just when I cross him over the threshold of his cage. Imagine my surprise when he hopped on the perch and just walked out of the cage and flew over to his perch. WOO HOO!

Then.... after our daily talking session I placed him in a medium sized foraging thing I made with millet, dried fruit and stuff. hadn't been having any success with it or the tretss but I thought I'd give it another go. He took a few bites here and there but soon went back to his perch and I left to make copies in the office. When I came back I noticed he wasn't on his perch and you can imagine my delight when I saw shreds of papertowel moving and a little green tail feather hanging out. HE DEVOURED THE MILLET SPRAY! lol. Then he went to flinging the miniature pie pan all over the place to get it to make a sound that he likes.

After he killed the millet spray it was time for another little bonding session and so I offered him my finger to which he didn't even wait for it to get to his feet, instead he did a hop/fly to it and chirped happliy. I figured, what the heck... let's see if he'll get on my shoulder. YEUP! He stayed on my shoulder for about 30 minutes as I walked around the classroom, worked and squated to reach for things. Finally, when I walked by his perch he departed.

I was like.... wow! Lot's of coolness today! Tweety was on the ball! lol.

saamrae
10-26-2009, 06:20 AM
Thank you so much for these tips. I've been making a massive mistake with my budgie and have been grabbing him. No wonder he never comes to me!
I won't be doing that again any time soon.

JHFcyclist
10-26-2009, 09:05 PM
Since I've insisted that Tweety be out of his cage as much as possible, I've created a little monster! He refuses, ABSOLUTLEY REFUSES, to go back into his cage. lol. Once he's back in he sqwaks and sqwaks and won't stop until I place a blanket over his cage for a few seconds then remove it. It's hillarious that he's anti-cage now, when four days ago it was still his safety center. He's really independent now and I still haven't figured out how to get him to simply come to his door when it's opened, he will practically run off the perch to my hand as soon as I put on in to get him first thing each morning. He's a little nutty dude!

JHFcyclist
10-27-2009, 09:11 PM
Hmmm.... are there days when the budgie just doesn't want to come out? Had mine for about three weeks now and he's hung out on my shoulder, perched on my finger and come ou tof his cage on my finger and such but today... he REFUSED to come out. Gave him millet which he took out of my hand and all that but NEVER came out. Is this normal or does my budgie suddenly hate me?

arejster
01-20-2010, 12:14 AM
Maybe there's something new outside of his cage he's afraid of? He'll probably get over it eventually, though.

I found that since my budgies are half-tame, and don't really appreciate being ganged up on and picked up (no matter how politely) to go back to the cage unless THEY want to, I needed a hands-free way that they could climb to their cage without my intervention (since their wings are clipped currently). I bought two very long wooden dowels, and I was going to make a ladder for them to climb up, but they just started using one dowel. But it's not long enough to reach their cage, so usually I just pick the dowel up when they climb up it to carry them back to their cage. Leonidas and even Kabara will let me pick them up but Coco and Puff are less tame so this method is very appreciated by them. They like getting a lift on a 3ft long perch!

chocolatemilk
05-10-2010, 08:37 AM
my three girls are flighted, and not tame, and I've been letting them out of their cage almost every day since like before Christmastime. They've always gone back into their cage periodically, and always when it starts getting later.

Two days ago, they realized that they can perch way up on my curtain rod, and now they go up there and won't come down! My room gets very cold if the door is closed all day (the heat vent doesnt work properly I think) so I had to catch two of them yesterday to get them back in :( I even tried putting their favourite treat (scrambled eggs) into the cage to entice them back in, but it didn't work at all.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point - today they are in the cage. Alaska is very skittish even after over a year, so I'm hesitant to think she'll ever become really tame, so I can't wait for that to let them out again.

help? Should I clip their wings so they can't get that high? I need your advice, TBers!

SpickyDavies
05-10-2010, 11:05 AM
put some ballons up there, they will move and diver their flight path when they go towards them.
be aware they feel safe up high so it's healthy for them to like hanging up on the rail

SpickyDavies
05-10-2010, 11:08 AM
These are all very nice methods, but they don't really work, when your budgie likes outside of the cage more than inside. My Arthur doesn't exactly hate his cage and he likes to spend time in there IF HE IS LOCKED INSIDE! Otherwise, being outside is his main preference. He steps up, but he always jumps off when he realizes that I am trying to get him inside the cage.

think of it like owning a dog, some dogs don't like been put back on the lead so don't react to recall or avoid you when they see you fiddle with the lead
lead=home
this is why we call dogs back put the lead on and take it off again
if the birds knows your going to put it back in it's cage off course it's going to give you a run for its money

don't allways shut the door when he goes inside, but him inside yourself and leave him to come out again so it's not set in his brain everytime you carry him back he's going to get locked in!

chocolatemilk
05-10-2010, 06:38 PM
Thanks Spicky, I'll try that! I do know they like being high up, and I'm actually surprised they haven't found their way up there sooner. Sometimes it just gets very cold in the room, or I need to go to bed! haha

chocolatemilk
05-14-2010, 07:43 PM
Just an update... maybe it was just a phase. I've kept them in the cage for a few days (my health has been bad so I wasn't up to getting them back in if they didn't go on their own) but today I let them out since my mom offered to round them up if necessary...and when I went to check on them earlier all three were back in the cage! What good girls.

mngrammer
05-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Thank you for the post! :budgie::)

k1rkyboo
05-20-2010, 08:35 AM
i have tried all of these steps with my budgie and none work. He will happily sit on my finger but as soon as i head for the door, he jumps off. He doesnt even eat millet, so that wont work either :(

DeNvLaW123
05-27-2010, 04:41 AM
My budgie doesn't like millet spray and doesn't come out of his cage for a treat. He actually prefers sedd more than anything and he won't jump out of his cage for seed. What do i do? He won't come out on his own, and iam not allowed to grab him. He won't come out for a treat, and, to be honest, i think he likes it better in his cage. I want him to get some excercise but he just won't come out of his cage!
SOMEBODY PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!:( :( :( :(

DeNvLaW123
05-27-2010, 04:46 AM
Oh, and my budgie won't get back in either. Again, because he doesn't eat millet, my cage is too heavy to just pick up and put in front of him, and he is not hand tamed.
SOMEBODY PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP! :(

KerriS
05-27-2010, 06:08 AM
It's no help but you're not alone.

Tika's mom

anjupradp
05-27-2010, 06:34 AM
Hey thanks for this useful post, I will surely try this out!!

27deathage
06-03-2010, 04:13 PM
great info. helps me alot my budgies love to be out of their cage but never want to go back. Pepper is more trusting and will sit on my finger and i can get him in the cage the other beaker i have to lift the cage up and turn it till the door is by him. im trying really hard to get her to step up but she alway flies for it. she just doesnt trust me any tips?

KeetLuvin
06-14-2010, 10:12 PM
wow...ok now i see where i was going wrong with my Meepers. He was my first baby and I have so much more to learn. I hope I didnt hurt him in anyway. I will never grab another bird again for as long as I live. I just took him out of the cage the way the breeder taught me. I found this forum too late for Meep but I wont make the same mistakes again.

Hazel
07-15-2010, 05:19 AM
I have had Bodie for 12 days now and he has been out of his cage and on my finger since day 3. He sits on my shoulder and lets me scratch his head and often instigate it. He did fly to my finger but at the moment is more interested in my curtains. He does not like his cage at all and wont go on the top of it. Any suggestions.

Hazel

barrie
07-15-2010, 07:13 AM
I made a catcher , you hold it in front of the bird and they climb inside, hold the handle vertical and the bird will climb up but not climb down and out of the catcher, hold the handle down and the bird will climb out, stress free/

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/barrieshutt/barries%20budgies%202008/barries%20budgerigars%202009/my%20catcher/catcher001-1.jpg

http://i119.photobucket.com/albums/o138/barrieshutt/barries%20budgies%202008/barries%20budgerigars%202009/my%20catcher/catcher006-1.jpg

blazer007xx
07-21-2010, 02:11 PM
All you have to do is finger train and everything will be easy. Just gain your budgies trust.

babybluebudgie
07-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Here is another idea:

Put some rope perches on the cage so there is something familiar to hang onto when out. It lets the bird be close to the cage, but out of it. I have one coming right to the front door and then another making a path to the top of the cage. He is much more comfortable on that they the bars on the top of the cage.

Hang treats from said perches so he has a reason to come out and sit on them.

I've been doing this and my bird will now freely wander out of his cage several times of the day. He doesn't fly off and explore much yet, but you can see him getting braver.

My budgie was from a pet store and wont perch on my hand but..he is clever and knows how to get out and use the rope down to his door to get back in as I carefully move my hand behind him. Thanks so much!

kapow
07-25-2010, 05:30 AM
I got my budgie Thursday night. Friday I kept her in all day, but spoke to her outside the cage and played her lots of music. Yesterday I was going to keep her in all day too with a view to get her out today.

However it all went abit wrong yesterday :( I was trying to change her bath and the door on the stupid cage shes in at the moment (new one downstairs waiting for me to get paid so I can buy perches ect for it!) is so big and she got out while I was changing the water. Luckily I had closed the blind just incase but I hadnt covered my mirror, so she flew around abit and I scrambled around abit to cover the mirror. She seemed ok, she perched up on my blind and flew around, ran up and down I just laid on my bed and watched her for awhile singing to her. Then I thought Id see if I could get her on my finger, didnt work. She let me get close but didnt want to sit on me or let me touch her (fair enough) I tried for afew mins then left her and just danced around my room abit singing to her.
At one point she ended up down the side of my bed so I had to pick her up to rescue her from under there, she didnt seem to mind too much, she didnt panic at all and once she was out from under the bed I let her fly straight away from me.
After she had been out for about an hour and a half, I really wanted to get her back in, stupidly I tried to grab her from on top of my blind, she seemed to think it was a game though, Id try and grab her and she'd fly around me and land on the other side and chrup at me, this went on for 2 mins then I gave up and thought Id just wait till she got hungry and went back in. About 15 mins later she managed to get behind the blind and started trying to fly out the closed window. I was scarred! She got herself stuck between a photoframe and the window and was in a panic so I had to pick her up and I put her back in her cage.
It was scary for me and I have no doubt it was scary for her too. She doesnt seem to have a problem with me being near her when shes inside the cage. Everytime I go over she comes over to say hi.

My plan now is to let her out this evening, hopfully she will go back in when she wants to sleep, but Im really worried about getting her back in :/ AND Im worried that she wont let me near her.

I also really want to change her bath water this morning but I cant have her getting out as I have to go out in half an hour :( arrrgh! Though I am going out to buy her some bits :p

kapow
07-25-2010, 02:50 PM
WOW my last post was long :p

Well this evening I had her cage door open for almost two hours.
I opened it and walked over to the other side of the room at first. Too see what she would do, just looked at me. So I went back over and popped my hand in the cage for a couple of mins, she didnt seem afraid, she just looked over at it then got bord I guess and carried on pruning her feathers. So I carried on and cleaned her cage abit, popped some millet in while I was doing this, she loved that.
After Id cleaned popped my hand in there again, until she lost intrest in it.
She seems to be settling down to sleep now, so Ive closed it up.
I will do the same tomrw night I think and see what happens. In a couple of days I will see if she will come on to my finger or let me stroke her head :D

So she hasnt had anytime out of the cage today :(
Perhaps yesterday scarred her. Soon I hope she will start coming out.

T & the flock
08-02-2010, 06:32 PM
thanks for posting it's really helpfull

Alison
08-08-2010, 03:25 PM
Ive committed the unforgivable sin - i gently held my bird to get het in and out if the cage bad bad person that I am. she comes out no problem its getting her back in. She did trust us at first but because we held her to put her back in we've lost some trust. I really regret what ive done but hey its not the end of the world. I am now training her with a dowel perch and food to get her back in and hopefully soon she will learn to trust us again. But she just loves her out time she has landed on me a few times so shes not totally afraid but i loves her anyhow.

ro0oney
08-09-2010, 09:43 PM
very helpful, i will use method 4 if "God forbids" i had to take him to the vet
thankQ ;)

Linkto4
08-11-2010, 03:09 AM
I recently purchase my bird on Monday, should I be doing this right away or keep the bird in the cage and wait until the bird is bond with me? If if it refused to come back and it keep flying around?

Chicklet
08-15-2010, 04:15 PM
Linkto4, I think you should let your bird settle in for at least a week or two and let him/her get comfortable with its surroundings before letting it out.

Try millet training or clicker training to get your bird to bond to you more quickly

http://talkbudgies.com/showthread.php?t=40825

Linkto4
08-17-2010, 01:36 AM
thanks buddy

clemmy2006
09-29-2010, 04:23 AM
i have a problem with my bird, i can get him on my finger and out of the door, but when he has been out for a while he will just fly around the room crashing into things once he fell down the back of te sofa so i had to grab him. he has only been out a few times will he get used to it? when he is crashing i have trouble getting him on my hand. i will buy a few perches to put around the room.

Magneeta
10-09-2010, 09:03 PM
I know it's probably too early for us to be allowing Paco to come out of his cage, but he was out by accident the first night we had him home. We did not let him out the next night, altho the first couple of days we let the cage door open just to see if he would even try.

Last night we opened the door, and he walked out eventually. We were learning a few things while observing him, such as when the walls, doors, cabinet doors are all the same color he has a hard time finding the edges of the many places he could perch.

He doesn't seem very interested in flying low to any of the other many things he could perch on. I noticed he was always going to the curtain rod that had a curtain on it, which broke up the same color on everything else. So I got an idea of adding some small towels to hang over the cabinet doors, etc and that worked like a charm.

It was getting late and time for his bedtime, and I had already started to dim the room by turning off some of the lights in the room. But I found that when there were not enough lights on, he would have a hard time finding somewhere to perch. He started to panic a bit cuz he could not find a place to land. I quickly turned a light back on and then he was fine again.

We have two lights that hang from the ceiling, and we did not like him up there because he wanted to chew on the cord. Eventually we got him off to one spot where it was closest to his cage. I tried to entice him with some millet but that did not work at all.

I even moved one of his perches to stick out ont he outside of the cage close to the door, but to no avail .

I tried several ways using things as a perch to hop on but he would not have it. I could tell he is tamed enough yet to trust that I won't eat him.

I almost thought he was gonna come down and get into his cage at one point, but he didn't.

Eventually we used a very small towel, altho I thought a sheet would have been better, we stood on chairs and made a curtain effect at the opening to the room in front of the countertop, which has a window and where he was perched on the curtain rod.

We got closer to him slowly at which he flew or jumped on to the towel, and my boyfriend was able to grab ahold of him very lightly. First he held him to his chest, and got him to stop biting him, and talked to him calmly, letting him know we were not gonna hurt him. At the last second right before he put him back into the cage he freaked a bit and Ben almost lost ahold of him, so Paco squawked, but in a quick movement he got him back in his cage securely.

I dimmed more lights, halfway covered his cage to try and calm him, and he settled down right away, on his perch and went to bed, and asleep.

We think we might put up more curtain rods around the top part of the ceiling on the wall to give him more places he can see to perch on. While Paco was out, quickly Ben made him a perch and hung from the ceiling like a swing, for him to have another perch to land on, altho he only found it once.

At least Paco had a ball while he was out You could really see he enjoyed his time out and got a lot of exercise. I just hope he learns to come down a little lower. I am short and it's hard to reach him with our vaulted ceilings.

gryphon
10-10-2010, 09:03 PM
it's grreat i'll try 4 it

mizzyv
10-12-2010, 11:47 AM
I have had Jess for a week now, she is 8 weeks old & i let her out of her cage at least 3 times a day. She leaves her cage no problem, just hops on my finger & as soon as my hand is out of the cage she flies straight up on to my curtain rail. She will stay there chirping & will fly around the room a few times & she seems to enjoy flying around and chirping along to budgie vids on utube. The problem is getting her back into her cage. She will hop on to my finger but as soon as i get anywhere near her cage she flies off & goes straight back on the curtain rail. I have tried all the tips on here & today i tried taking her cage to her but she totally freaked out, chirping angrily & refusing to go in. I don't want to get her wings clipped & i don't want to stop letting her out to fly around either.

Heather And BC
02-06-2011, 08:41 AM
They seem to take it in turns to play dumb to find the door. They do go in on their own when they get hungry. I make sure the food hopper is right at the back,so they have to go right in. Once one is in, the other will call the other in.

fritz
02-14-2011, 08:56 PM
Very good info!!! I also have trouble training my keets since I have more than 1 and now babies...Anyway, if I do have trouble trying to get them back in and I really need for them to go home, I throw a small towel over them. Now, its not just when I want to do this, they must be in a place that I know they will not get hurt such as my couch, any of my tables which they love I guess because they can see their reflection..But in most cases, I just let them go home on their own...Overall, the towel works very well if your ever in a real bind and need to go.

meeko
03-17-2011, 01:39 AM
Heyy guys.
I've had my baby for about 3 months now, and we have made sooo much progress with him.
He will nearly always step up onto my finger when i go to get him out of the cage, and even when he is out of the cage he will always step up.
But it's like he doesnt understand the concept the to get out of the cage door on my finger, he needs to duck slightly.
Does anyone have any tips for how to somehow let him understand that he needs to duck?
Ive tried letting him come out in his own time, but unless its near the window, he doesnt care.
Millet wont excite him enough to come out, and he doesnt like fruit or vegies.
He loves being out once he is out, but doesnt understand to duck! lol

louara
03-17-2011, 01:59 AM
Hi,
I take it that there is only one access door to leave the cage? Does the roof open up?
You could try putting a ladder inside the cage and attach it to the open door. Then he would have to go down to climb up the ladder and outside to you! No ducking involved :)

monet
03-17-2011, 04:51 PM
I'll try theese. I havent a problem getting him in the cage. Its getting him out is the problem.!!!!!

meeko
03-18-2011, 12:02 AM
I was thinking of trying with a ladder.
Might buy one sometime and see if it helps the situation haha

BirdSociety
03-19-2011, 01:23 PM
These are really good tips. Thank you. :) I'll probably try methode 5

budgie.bells
03-20-2011, 03:06 AM
i am gaining my budgies trust and this helped to get one of my budgies back! She was scared of my hand just sitting there she crawled out and method 4 helped get her back in. :urock:

water
04-15-2011, 06:44 PM
:eek: wow i used to grabbed my budgies :O

peachply
04-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Thank you, this although obvious is very helpful it is always good to be reminded of the simple things.

Budgielover96
04-24-2011, 06:10 AM
i hav tried method 3 with poppy and i got her down by bringing her down while she was eating out of her food bowl. i got to the door and brought her out a little further then she stepped back and sat in the doorway for a while then turned and jumped on her perch. i tried doing that the next day but, cause she is soooo stuborn she sat on her perch staring at the food bowl

Flockmaster
04-26-2011, 09:25 AM
On the no grabbing tip: I agree not to grab suddenly, but there are times anyone may HAVE to for the bud's safety. I'm desensitizing by making a large ring with my hand and having Nova step up into it. She has gone from a freshly acquired fear biting, screeching fraidy bird to a joyful companion in just a year... or so.

FergiesGeorge
04-27-2011, 02:57 PM
Hey. Great post. some good tips. For me, Getting George out isn't a problem, it's getting him back in that's the problem! I will try some of these tips next time he's out.

sparkyfly1
04-30-2011, 08:38 PM
With Sky I will get him out the door and then he will jump back onto the cage and climb Up to the top and will sit there< I will put the string of seeds Next to him and he will just sit there and eat and Sometimes I will put a piece of fruit or bread for him to munch on, Although he will still move away when I come to put him Away I think he is Starting to enjoy being out, yesterday I placed him on a high lamp we donít use and he REALLY liked being above everyone, Although then hubby wanted to make dinner and we had to put him away but he just hopped right back in :)

wow Sahra, this sounds just like my new bird

APTSHOPPER
05-07-2011, 06:56 PM
my two are confident at going in and out of the cage - when we first got them 6 months ago we had trouble getting them in and tried to take the cage / perch to them now they go in on own and we just leave it open for most of the day - we have chased them too in the early days using our hand as a perch

we have bolt on perches and toys on outsde of cage too

the hardest part we are having trouble them trusting us - they have occasionally sat on hands but thats when we placed them in cage with a bit of food in them. they are starting to swoop low very close to us

someone told me a tip (we have not done it yet) but get a piece of rope and two ppl stand each end and let the birds land on rope each day make the rope slightly shorter to eventually they have landed on you

louara
05-07-2011, 10:35 PM
Hi,
I wouldn't know about the rope trick. Sounds rather complicated. A budgie will come and land on a person when they want to. Try holding some millet or other special treat in your hand. That usually works. Remember you can never rush a budgie-good luck:)

MariaKitty
05-12-2011, 11:42 PM
Good tips on trying to get your budgie in/out of the cage. I've had my budgie Jake for 3 weeks now and even though I keep his cage open (in the bathroom), while I clean the cage, he still doesn't want or attempt to come out of his cage so he can fly around. Is this normal? Do you think he's still getting used to the routine? surroundings? He'll "step-up" a few times but it takes awhile. I tried millet but it doesn't seem like he goes nuts over it :p Anyone have other suggestions?

louara
05-16-2011, 10:56 AM
I think he is still adapting to his new surroundings. A cage is a "safe place" for a new budgie and it can take some coaxing to get them comfortable outside the cage.
Some budgies do turn their noses up at millet, that is not unusual. Have you discovered any other treats he likes? Mine loves avicakes, she will just about do anything to get one.Good luck and keep us posted.

ILOVELONDON
06-25-2011, 01:56 AM
Thank u, i just got my london last week, and i'll be using this with her:)

RockinRobyn
06-25-2011, 08:16 PM
Thanks for posting this! Two of my birds go in their cages just fine, but Pixel HATES to go back in. Shes only partly handtamed, she'll sit of my finger, but she looses interest quickly. She prefers to fly around the room at an alarming speed:eek: I've had to get her back by throwing a towel over her a couple of times, but she hates that and I hate scaring her. Next time I need to get her back in I will try some of these ideas!

Arundel@century
08-17-2011, 08:56 PM
my three girls are flighted, and not tame, and I've been letting them out of their cage almost every day since like before Christmastime. They've always gone back into their cage periodically, and always when it starts getting later.

Two days ago, they realized that they can perch way up on my curtain rod, and now they go up there and won't come down! My room gets very cold if the door is closed all day (the heat vent doesnt work properly I think) so I had to catch two of them yesterday to get them back in :( I even tried putting their favourite treat (scrambled eggs) into the cage to entice them back in, but it didn't work at all.

I'm not really sure what to do at this point - today they are in the cage. Alaska is very skittish even after over a year, so I'm hesitant to think she'll ever become really tame, so I can't wait for that to let them out again.

help? Should I clip their wings so they can't get that high? I need your advice, TBers!
Besides my new untamed budgies I have, I also have cockatiels. Sylvesterr is quite tame but he liked to fly up to the top of the curtains and sit there. I made those curtains myself and did not appreciate them being pooped on. One day I got the broom and just gently reached up and shooed him toward his cage. Finally whenever he saw me bring the broom, he would come down and go back to his cage by himself. It reached the stage that if I just pointed my finger at him, and made a sweeping motion to his cage, he would come down and go back in by himself. It was like he thought, oh well if you insist.

MajesticWings
08-17-2011, 09:52 PM
very useful information:thumbsup:

Hermaine
09-07-2011, 04:30 PM
Hi, I am new to the forum and I am really glad I have found this.
I have 2 budgies and I got them about 4 months ago.
I think I have tried just about everything, but my budgies still won't come out. I put perches outside the cage, put strawberies out (their favourite treat), I keep the cage open whenever I can...
I had to take them out a few times when I needed to clean the cage or take them to the vet, but afterwards they were just desperate to get back in as quickly as possible, which they know how to do, especially the boy.
There is a very strong bond between them and I suspect they are a bit older, so I don't think they will ever be tame, especially with us being at work during the day. I don't worry about that, but I find it quite sad watching them trying to exercise their wings and fly inside the cage, when they could have the whole room...
The strange thing was, when I had to take them to the vet, I put them in a tiny travel cage. When we got home, I put the small cage next to their big one and just opened the door. They were visibly unhappy, but they still wouldn't come out.
In the end I took the girl and put her in the big cage. The boy followed her immediatelly, but went straight after her, without even thinking about having a fly around.
So they obviously know how to get in and out, but just hate it being outside a cage.

beauty123
09-10-2011, 10:03 PM
hey
one thing you didn't mention is that most budgies are stubborn and do not like change at all. so to combat that you have to make the outside of the cage much more appealing then the inside. put lots of millet, seeds, and fun toys on the outside of the cage instead of the inside.

ejoesullivan
09-15-2011, 08:23 PM
Thank you this will surely help in the future when I need to take Forest out of his cage!

Shades
09-29-2011, 01:20 AM
Our two new ones are starting to get comfortable with coming out and going back now. Bob is generally first out, going on top of the cage and with blossom pecking at his feet from inside! Once they both emerge their favourite perch is sat on the curtain rail worrying away at the curtain tape on the top hem.

We bought a landing platform but when they see it they don't want to come out!

Chipisawsome
10-02-2011, 01:08 PM
This will help me soo much THANK YOU

lovemybabies924
10-31-2011, 02:17 AM
is wearing a black glove to get them out ok? or should it be a washcloth? i found the glove easier..and then it dosnt look like my hand.

Biggles
11-06-2011, 03:01 PM
I've noticed alot of threads lately asking how to get thier budgie back in or out of thier cage so i decided to put together some ideas on how to do it :)

Getting Out of The Cage

Method 1:

open the door and wait - not the best option but it works well with some budiges ( like mine) who are unafraid and will just fly straight out

Method 2:

open the door and put millet outside the cage - usually works really well with almost any tame or untame budgie

Method 3:

have the budgie step up and take him slowly out the door- only works for the tame budgie and if your budgie is afraid of the "outside world" then taking them out could make them lose trust in your hand (because its taking them into this scary world :p)

Method 4:

open the roof and the door and place millet outside the cage - this i've found is the best way to get them out of the cage and you don't have to have a cage with a openable roof, most cages are built so that a portion of the roof can be removed (for easy shipping) but it works well to get them out too :XD:

Method 5:

have your budgie step up onto a familliar perch and take him out - can work well but can also be awkward to get out of the cage if you have a small door and again if your budgie is scared of the "outside world" then he'll probably just jump/fly off before you get to the door.

Method 1:

waiting until your budgie goes in on its own - the downfall of this is that you have to have alot of time and in the case where you need you budgie back in considerabley quicker than a couple hours this just isn't practical

Method 2:

putting millet in the cage - usually works but again not the fastest way to get your budgie back home and depends on the budgie being hungry too

Method 3:

have your budgie step up and place him in the cage - a good method time wise but depends on your budgie being tame. Also if your budgie is flighted and doesn't want to go back then they can just fly away.

Method 4:

pick up the cage and hold the door in front of your budgie so they can just hop right in - in my opinion the best way to get your budgie back home because it doesn't scare them and works well with tame or untame budgies. The only problen being if your cage is too big and/or awkward to pick up.

Method 5:

have your budgie step up onto a familiar perch, then put him back - will usually work with tame or untame budgie but if your budgie is flighted then this isn't the best option as they can just fly away.

Do not grab your budgie!!!! this destroys the carefully built trust you have with your budgie and will make them even more scared of being out of the cage!

***If you must get your budgie out of the cage, for a vet's appointment, picking on others etc, use a small towel or washcloth, at least this way your budgie won't be scared of your hands***

I've got a flighted budgie, Digby and she gives us the runaround when we need her to go home, we try everything, millett, favourite toys, which work once and then she's wise to it so resists!! All in all, we usually manage to persuade her but she does not like it. Tries to get out via her seed tray and chucks it out of the tray thinking once it is empty she can escape!:eek: Luckily she forgives us and is eager to be friends again when we get back and she can fly free once more:rolleyes:

BudgieAngel
11-20-2011, 05:32 PM
When I try to get mine out, (they are un-tamed) I let them hop onto the food bowl and slowly move them out. Works perfectly fine with my budgies! But great tips, I'll use these the next time I take them out.

kkndway
11-21-2011, 02:25 AM
I am new to budgies (for about 2 months). I manage to train my budgies to stand on my finger. However, when I lower my finger (which the position is lower than the perch), they will hoop back to the perch.

How can I train them so that I can bring them out from the cage?
Please help.

MyBirdLouie
11-22-2011, 12:30 AM
Thanks it was really usefull because my budgie would keep jumping back on his perch when i tried to get him out,

Ken
11-28-2011, 06:56 AM
I will be using some of your methods thankyou. I also have one of those bendy solid ropes that attach to the cage leading out the door and to a Budgie Gym. Squweek took his first trip out the front door to the Gym today, it was a thrill to watch. Parrot Pie stayed home and watched Squweek have a quick work out, maybe she will venture out with him tomorrow.:D

MTrop
12-07-2011, 06:27 PM
This post is great! I've got 4 "wild" budgies we're trying to train right now and it's certainly not easy.. but we're trying to be patient and stay on top of everything we've learned!

dianeac
12-12-2011, 03:31 PM
We've had Bebe & Buddy for over a year now. They are hand tame, while in the cage. I would like to let them out but am pretty skeptical. I guess it's fear. I don't want something to happen as this would be the first time out of the cage. Bebe is more tame than Buddy, Bebe will allow me to hold him in the cage and pet him. I guess when we finally got a bigger cage for Toosey and JR (the p'let) we only had it for a day and he must have been spooked during the night and flew into the corner of the cage or something and I found him gone the next morning on the bottom of the cage:( We will be getting a bigger cage for Bebe and Buddy too. I hate taking chances.....especially after JR:( Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks for reading this lengthy post.

Terrarium
12-19-2011, 04:42 PM
With Captain and Kiwi, the best thing that's worked is holding climbing ladders for them outside the cage. They'll usually let me know if they wanna return to the cage. Every so often they'll step up to go back up, if they're really relaxed. Otherwise, they'll run up to the cage and flutter on the floor attempting to get up to the cage, or try to climb his way up. I'll usuallly just hold a ladder for them on the ground so they can climb up, and then lift them up that way. It didn't take long for them to figure out that they can trust it, either.

They usually just come out on their own when they feel like it, I'll leave the door open and sometimes theyre not interested for several hours. If I leave the room they're more likely to come out, or I'll try to get them all excited, which can make them fly out out of just being excited, and have them stay out for a bit.

tracytownsend27
01-02-2012, 11:35 AM
I have been trying to get Bleu to come out of her cage by placing millet on the foot of my bed. If is about 3 feet from her cage. I have done this several times to no avail. Until today! She came out and started flying around my room. I think she was as surprised as I was (LOL). She is still out and has been so for about 40 minutes. She is not flying around. She is hiding behind my bedside table. I am patiently waiting to see if she will come out. Oh wait, she is on the move again! She seems to be getting less freaked out and more curious. Everyone pray that she will eventually go back in her cage (LOL).

donnacaverly
01-02-2012, 12:00 PM
Thanks for posting this! This will help a lot of people who are trying to get their birds to come in or out of their cage. I would give you karma but I have to give it to more people before I could give some to you:)

hi there this is very helpful to me im learning so much my budgie are now actually going back into their cage by themselves so i dont have to pick them up

Sammie123
01-07-2012, 10:19 PM
Great post helpful for me since my Sammie isn't hand trained, and this post made recommendations for that too!

Rosepose
01-08-2012, 12:07 PM
I've found that if your bird is afraid of your hand unless you're offering food it's best just to persevere. Don't let yourself become frustrated and grab him, make sure you have enough time to get him back in his house no matter how much he doesn't want to. If you move your cage to where the bird is then you won't have to spend so long hoping he's not going to jump off your hand.

Also whilst he's in the cage spend a while with your hand in there just being around him. Occasionally get him to step up, then put him back on his perch. then he'll get used to you and know that you're not going to do him any harm. Again, don't let yourself get frustrated, just be patient, getting annoyed will only set things back.

This is all advice that I've got off here (thanks talkbudgies) and it's worked brilliantly for me. I've only had Jupiter for about 2 months and he's happy to jump on my hand, sit on my shoulder and fly about in the room at will (he's currently sitting on my keyboard trying to pull the keys off, so sorry for any typo's!).

koyuki_neko
02-14-2012, 02:05 AM
One thing I noticed is that if I have to go somewhere and Mochi is still flying around and still doesn't feel like going back into the cage, when I started to turn the lights out (this is during daylight hours so it isn't pitch black, and my room is lit by a couple of lamps) Mochi would go back in her cage on her own. I think because she associates the lamps turning off/ or the dimming of the light with bedtime. I didn't really train her to do this, I just noticed her doing it one day on her own and since then it's also been the main way I get her back in the cage.

Also, if she's sitting in her favorite spot, a mirror in my room, when I start to approach her she flies back to her cage, maybe because she knows I'll keep bugging her until she does. She's very tame, she sits on my shoulder and eats from my hand, but when it comes to coming in and out of her cage she wants to do it on her terms, no matter how comfortable she gets with me.

Jimm-V
02-14-2012, 03:24 AM
Tips for getting your budgie into the cage ......

Here comes the magical Bird catcher.....no need to wait and to need to waste time....just one aim with the open end....your budgie is transported back into the cage.....see no hands

The wire mesh is like a spring. So if your hand grasps the open end, it seals the budgie inside the bird catcher. Now open the cage door and sits the open end of the bird catcher against the door. Your budgie will walk into the cage by its own freewill. All it takes is 5 minutes of your time....nothing more nothing less.

http://s6.postimage.org/b0j8tbh41/Image1048.jpg

Bird Junky
02-14-2012, 11:18 AM

Getting Out of The Cage

Method 1:

Hi Got to agree it will work.

Method 2:

OK but expensive
Method 3:

Best idea. Just because he doesn't want to come out. Don't mean he's afraid of the outside world. Take him out & watch him fly away.

Method 4:

Same method as 1 & 2

Method 5:

Find a perch smaller than the door or hold the perch length wise. Ditto outside world fear old wives tale

Method 1:

Not recommended for old people

Method 2:

As above. Again very expensive, all that millet.

Method 3:

The best idea yet. Where's all this fear coming from?

Method 4:

No good not with my back.

Method 5:

You could stun it first with the perch

& you wont be scared he will bite you. If he does the wash cloth will come in
handy to keep the blood off the carpet.

Hi no offence intended just old B.J. being silly to pass the time

Yes thanks, I feel a lot better now. Yours :budgie:B.J.:eng:

hamaneth
02-28-2012, 11:10 AM
We have had a number of budgies, and finger tamed them all. Getting them in and out of the cage was never an issue. That is not the case with six month old Tweeter! He has plenty of bells and toys that amuse him, but when his door is open, he ALWAYS wants out of the cage. When we change his cage in the morning, he is out like a shot on our head or shoulder as soon as we open the cage door. After we change the cage paper, food, and water dishes, he doesn't want to go back in the cage. He is fully flighted, so he flys from my head to my wife's as soon as we try to get him to step up and back in the cage. It takes a half dozen tries and talking firmly, but not angrily, to him to get him back in. He is the same way at night with us after supper. We let him out, and after 2 or 3 hours of him sitting with/on us, we are ready for bed, but he isn't. It's a challenge every evening.
He obviously wants to stay out with us, loves us both a lot, and we him,
but it does get a bit tiring.

SandiG
03-16-2012, 10:08 PM
I have to say I've been having a lot of luck for a newbie with my baby budgies. :) I started with 1 and ended up with 4! lol They all one by one climb into their cage on their own so far. I don't even have to bribe them :D I've got one of the cages that open from the top so they climb up, hang out for awhile and then when 1 goes in they all follow after one another. I love my babies. :budgie:

Biggles
03-17-2012, 04:18 AM
Digby comes out as soon as her door is open, hops onto my finger and then goes off for her morning stretch flight! As for getting her in, now there's a flight-full of trouble. Going in is just not her thing. She eludes us every time and then just as one is about to give up she hops in with an almost "ok if I must" attitude, bashes one of her bells and then starts to preen!! She's an absolute darling.:)

frenchie
03-22-2012, 05:51 PM
Thanks I'm a new bird owner and since my birds have been in their cage I've been scratching my head wondering what to do if I have a medical emergency with them. It's nice to have some plan of action. :)

RockyandNelson
04-01-2012, 09:34 PM
Thanks for the advice! I have 2 new parakeets who don't want to come out at all.

helloimivan
04-19-2012, 07:14 AM
Awwww.. . I grab my budgies slowly to get them out of the cage since they don't want to go out even with some treat (vegetable). I need them out for exercise. But the good news is, when they're back in the cage, I put my hand in, too, slowly. Then I try to touch they're feet and they're not really going crazy like "I'm about to be eaten" or anything like that. Should I continue with this process?

jenn1329
05-03-2012, 03:17 PM
Peanut comes out of his cage with no problem at all on my finger. But, what I want to know is when we will he come out on his own, without being on my finger? I leave his door open all the time except for at night when I cover it for him to sleep. He loves being out too. I just want him to come out and visit when he wants. He is 6 months old and I have had him for 4 months.

tstout
07-18-2012, 12:06 AM
I would like to thank you for posting this. I have had my budgie for 9 days and he just loves being out of his cage! We usually get him back in by putting millet in our hand and walking him to the cage. Since he doesn't have his wings clipped he just flies away when he sees his cage. Other times he just doesn't seem intrested in the millet. Bringing the cage to him though really worked so thank you so much! :D

rokko
09-09-2012, 07:03 PM
We always do the method 5 and it works good for us now :)

michaelarobson
09-10-2012, 03:50 AM
what about if i would really lke my budgie to wait untill i get upto the cage before flying off?? as by budgie has cliped wings at the momment for truat build up and he always trys to fly away im scare he is going to hurt himself oneday if i dont catch him in time???? help :o :S

TheSkySprite
09-12-2012, 02:57 PM
Very good post. I've been working with Sprite, who I've had for just a couple months, and while she was progressing considerably for a few days, after a while she just sort of slowed down and decided she didn't like my hand.

I can be very impatient and short-tempered, so I have to watch myself when working with my birds. This post will help me a lot. :)

TheSkySprite
09-12-2012, 02:58 PM
Very good post. I've been working with Sprite, who I've had for just a couple months, and while she was progressing considerably for a few days, after a while she just sort of slowed down and decided she didn't like my hand.

I can be very impatient and short-tempered, so I have to watch myself when working with my birds. This post will help me a lot. :)

TheSkySprite
09-12-2012, 10:39 PM
So tonight while I was in my room for a while, I attached a perch to the outside of Skylar and Sprite's cage (right next to the cage door, which was open) and put some millet beside it. I took out Skylar (who is already tamed) out and placed her on the cage, and she happily chowed down on her favorite treat. When she was tired of the millet she started crawling around the outside of the cage, generally just hanging out and exploring.

All the while Sprite (who is not quite tamed yet) was following Skylar around from the inside of the cage, and every once in a while she would stop and pick at the millet through the bars. Finally, when Skylar was on the perch outside the door again, Sprite sat on the (inside) perch across the from the open door, and just kind of stayed there jittering around for a second before hopping out of the cage and onto the perch, then she attacked the millet.

This was only the second time she's come out of the cage on her own, and even though it took a while for her to gather up enough courage, I'm quite pleased. :) I really want my birds to want to come out of the cage, so I'm going to keep tempting them with their beloved millet lol.

louara
09-13-2012, 12:53 AM
Great progress you have made! Keep up the good work, they are sure to be coming out on their own soon :)

TheSkySprite
09-13-2012, 09:20 PM
Thanks louara, I'm pretty happy with how things are going so far. :)

Today I did the same as yesterday, took Skylar out and put her on a perch by some millet. Sprite nibbled on it from inside again; but a little later I looked over and she was just coming out of the cage.

The two of them were quite content outside the cage for awhile, until I had to put them back inside. Either they were just being obnoxious, or they didn't want to go back in the cage, because it took me a while to get them back inside. :o

natpodu77
10-24-2012, 09:00 PM
I have 3 Budgies, a cobalt blue male Zippy. He is the oldest and has the most training and is the most people friendly. He had a female sky blue friend, Winny, who unfortunately died after 4 years. To help him cope I got him a new friend, a mauve male, Teetsa. He is great and although not as people comfortable as Zippy is, he does allow you to pick him up and put him away. :budge:

To avoid having a situation where something would leave either of them alone again, I recently got a new budgie, a beautiful green, what I was hoping to be male, Rango. She (just got old enough to be a surprise she :budgie:) is like my last female, very anti-hand, not too people social. Slowly she has been getting better and will occasionally grace us with a brief finger perching. She is incredibly and ridiculously smart and when I let them all out of the cage on their play gym I just can't ever get her back in. She is an expert flyer too and that makes it very frustrating, she will just fly loops around me :mad:. So one day I don't know what happened but I just said "oh Rango, go home, go home Rango!" and she just flew down off the wood perch and then made a U turn into her cage. Now anytime I want her to go back into her cage, instead of stressing her and myself out, I just say "Rango, go home!" and in she goes inside the cage and receives a whole round of "GOOD RANGO, what a good girl!" :D
:budge::budgie::budge:

Little-Budgie
10-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Good post! Myfawni is flighted but I use the hand-perch method. It works...sometimes XD

Princess&I
10-28-2012, 11:41 PM
Can't wait to try getting Princess out with one of these methods. She's my first bird and I'm so excited and I love her already. (It's been 5 days since PetsMart, but she's kinda already taken to my husband and myself). She'll sometimes "step-up" and let us bring her out but 60% of the time runs away or stands still. She will also sometimes let me touch her or rub her with my finger. I sing, talk, and dance while she watches and she even sings along ocassionally lolz. Am I on the right track to bonding with her? Also, is there any way to "discipline" a parakeet?

alistar
12-21-2012, 09:13 AM
thank you these are some very helpful tips

Missy481
01-08-2013, 06:02 PM
:) Great post!! This was very helpful as I just got a new budgie :)

mrsfrog
01-13-2013, 09:05 AM
Millet .... A wonderful bribe !!!!!!! Works without fail . Only give it for training .

vicereine
01-17-2013, 02:47 PM
Awesome post, especially for someone like me who is a new budgie mama lol. The funny thing is how i got my budgie though. Long story but here is the cliff notes version. My mom feeds birds at her house and low and behold one evening we see this beautiful yellow bird fly right on top of her trash can out back in the yard and were just so pleased to see her. She came like an angel when we were having a really hard time in our house and needed a new start. She ate some bread from us and then just perched on my moms arm then mine and we were able to get her inside. Now she is my gorgeous baby girl Isis and I am so pleased with her. So these tips are great for me to bond with her and make sure we are both happy and healthy.

Pretty boy
01-22-2013, 04:20 AM
Hi my problem is my baby has just started to fly, up until now he was kept in a big box which I had covered with a cloth.He was orphaned and I have hand reared him he is very tame.He eats out of my hand, loves cuddles , sleeps on my chest laying flat out with his head on my neck, scratches and massages are one of his favourite past times too.
He started to climb out of the box, and sit on the edge no problem BUT now he is flying every where ! So I bought a cage my problem is he hates being in it! He goes silly calling out , flapping his wings and trying to get out through the feed doors and the big door. I have tried putting him in for short periods of time , he has familiar foods and water bowls I am scared he is going to hurt himself!
I have to get him used to being in there as I have to go back to work next week and can't let him be out all day whilst I'm not home. Do you think I should get him a mate maybe?
I have put him in there whilst he is asleep or just after he has had some of his formula nothing works any ideas please?:o

Pretty boy
01-22-2013, 08:57 PM
Hi all !
After readig some of the tips I decided to cover the cage like suggested, He went in there without a peep :rolleyes: He stayed in the cage without any drama's and commenced to try out his food bowls and the apple I put in there for him too. Did the same again today just let him out after being in there for a couple of hours :) I feel much happier knowing he is accepting his cage as a fun place to be as well.

Just have to tell you ! last night i walked into the room looking for him as he is investiigating more amd more further away from his comfort zone, but he had put himself into his box that he slept in I am still keeping him in the box at night he stays there till morning then lets himself out and has a cuddle in bed with us :budgie: I know one spoilt baby but we love it just as much as he does;)

Lil' Bugger
01-22-2013, 10:09 PM
Oh. I've been grabbing my budgie:(

Clockfixer
01-22-2013, 10:10 PM
I don't have too much trouble getting them into the cage because they're still very scared of the outside world. The trouble is getting them out! They're still two scared little ladies. I can feed them a bit of millet at their perch, but if I get too close, they scoot away.

To get them out, I just use one hand and, without touching them, split them up and direct them toward the opening. They fly around the room for a minute or less and then come back to try to get in the cage.

When I'm working at the desk, I leave the door open. They're wary when I open the door, but calm down shortly. I have a perch in front of the open door and they will land on it and look out the open door, but never come out on their own. I left the room yesterday and did find them outside the cage, but they were scared to see me.

Any suggestions on how to calm them more and work on bonding? By the by, they're both females. Are females as friendly and bold as males?

Pretty boy
01-25-2013, 08:03 PM
I like to have males as my buddies,they are much more gentler when giving love bites :cool:
But then I have read here about some wonderful hens being awesome as well! Try giving scratches around the head they LOVE this , most of them do but be warned some don't:(
Give them treats to encourage them althoughI am lucky in that I have hand fed my little guy from when he was very young so he thinks he is human I'm sure! He insists on sleeping in our room next to our bed in his little bow still , he will go in his cage reluctantly during the day but thinks he belongs on my shoulder :o
He is very smart starting to fly away when he knows what is going to happen :eek: he is sitting on the table next to me as we speek, playing with my neclklace Give love and you shall receive it back ten fold .:budgie::budgie::budgie:

Tara Lee
06-17-2013, 02:30 PM
My two budgies don't seem to be scared of me which is good. They're so smart and know when I'm there to chit chat or want to have them perch on my finger which most of the time they are happy to do so. Rags lifts up his little foot as soon as I put my hand in the cage which is so cute. I had him a week longer then Ollie and that little bit of time made a huge difference in our relationship. He's goofy and playful but Ollie is scared out of his mind but it's getting better.

My question is if I get a hand tamed parakeet would my Petsmart scared Parakeets learn that it's alright to be handled. I am buying a new large cage for them going to keep their wings and let them fly because I doubt they will ever want to come out of their cage and I don't want them just sitting around either. I know how smart they are and it makes me sad to think I won't have a budgie to sit on my shoulder as I had planned or who wanted to eat veggies.

I'm afraid I won't be able to even get them into the new cage without losing the trust I have built up this far. I would clip their wings if I thought they'd actually like coming out eventually..

I don't know what to do.. I do love them, they are chattering right now and they have started to play which is nice to see. I think they look forward to when I talk to them and sometimes both of them will fall asleep perched on my finger all comfy.

I want to give them the best life possible... What's the best food to feed them?

Any and all advice will be nice..
Thank U
Tara

Jake Saul
06-23-2013, 03:35 PM
"Do not grab your budgie!!!!"
And then there is my dad who suggests to get a budgie back into the cage you should first tire him out then grab him... Yeah... :rolleyes:

hsaleem
07-05-2013, 01:43 AM
Thanks OP for the cage idea - I was contemplating on that one myself, for the past 16 hours.

I got 4 new budgies over the weekend, and we started to bond slowly. Last evening, I decided to let them out of the cage, so I opened the door and the kept popping out, one after the other (tip: playing budgie sounds over youtube http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Hz6L8dlGYkQ#at=46 helps).

It's been close to 16 hours, including a full night, they didn't try to get back in. I didn't want to ruin their trust in me or my hand, as they started to let me and my hand close, within touching distance. :S

Finally, I searched online, found this post, and knew straight away that I have to try the cage option (I knew they were hungry as they eat every couple of hours, especially after waking up early morning). Under 30 secs, they jumped in, one by one! :budgie:

libertango
08-06-2013, 12:37 PM
Hi Everybody!
I have a question. I am a happy owner of a blue quaker, and I also babysit an approximative 4 years old male budgie. He is not tame and he was kept in the cage ever-since he was bought form the store. He had another budgie paired with him, who tragically died a few days before they were supposed to come to my home. I have Churly for a couple of months. He got accustomed to me and my family, looks quite happy as he sings most of the day playing with the toys in the cage.
My quaker is fully tamed and is out of the cage 2-3 times/day for 1-2 hours. I have no idea how am I supposed to tame Churly. He progressed from day one, but my hands still scare him badly.
I can't accept the idea that he is not allowed to get out, but I am afraid he might get hurt. I am asking this as it looks his owner does not really want him back. I could have him without a question. But in order to keep him I have to tame him. Do you thing that is possible with a 4 years old guy?
His cage is not very heavy, and has a wide door. Do you think I could try to open the door and let him out? I could try to use the cage to bring him back...
I would definitely do that in a bedroom (looks safer than the living room where the 2 birds are living). I would not risk to put Wallee, the quaker and Churly together. The bigger bird might fight the smaller one.
Wallee had landed on Churly's cage a few times, and in the beginning, Churly was trying to bond with Wallee, but each time he tried, Wallee threatened him. Eventually they seem to ignore each other.
It's a long story. My question is about the budgie. What do you think?
Thanks!

Wren
09-12-2013, 09:57 AM
Another tip for a really obstinate budgie would be to put the cage next to a large mirror and tie the door open. They may think they see another bird and come out. Gradually, they adjust to this. That is how I trained my, at the time, very scared budgie to come out. :]

Lafalidle
10-19-2013, 07:14 AM
Where do you buy millet? Ive had one budgie for a week. She is warming up to me but nowhere near ready to get out of cage. Bought another female yesterday to keep her company because i felt bad when we are not here and she is alone. What can i feed her to get her to earn my trust. I tried giving her a little piece of bread and she wouldn't eat it. I am so eager for them both to trust me but i know it takes time. I just love them already. The first one they told me they thought was a boy but looking at this budgie forum its a young female. So i gave two females lol which im still ok with. But i already named her simon and i don't want to change it and confuse her lol. Still have to name the second one yet and its tough.

MrBubblesBudgie
12-16-2013, 05:23 PM
great I'm gonna try this... but what if while out of the cage your budgie wants to hide in the smallest corners of the room and make you HAVE NO OTHER CHOICE BUT TO GRAB HIM to get him out of harm's way? this is my problem!! please reply asap i really need help...

missgammony
03-22-2014, 01:04 PM
Is it okay to use a towel or small cloth to get them back in the cage? None of those techniques work for my untame budgie only for my tame budgie

RonZacapa
04-06-2014, 04:06 PM
I've had my little guy for 2 months and he is very tame around my partner and I. He steps up and loves a scratch, even with millet though when we have him on our finger and bring him towards to the door of his cage and turns around and jumps off. We try this everyday. Eventually we did take the roof off to get him out but he still tries to get back in his cage straight away and seems a little freaked out when it comes off. When the cage is out of sight he is totally fine. Has anyone else had babies that didn't want to leave the cage? How long did it take and was it just persistence on your part?

RonZacapa
04-06-2014, 04:23 PM
Good tips on trying to get your budgie in/out of the cage. I've had my budgie Jake for 3 weeks now and even though I keep his cage open (in the bathroom), while I clean the cage, he still doesn't want or attempt to come out of his cage so he can fly around. Is this normal? Do you think he's still getting used to the routine? surroundings? He'll "step-up" a few times but it takes awhile. I tried millet but it doesn't seem like he goes nuts over it :p Anyone have other suggestions?
I just saw your quote from a few years ago. I have a new budgie. We have had him for 2 months now and he won't come out of the cage. Did you have any luck with your little budgie? How long did it take? Ron is hand tame and steps up very easily. We took the roof off to get him out but I know that freaks him out a little so I don't do that very often.

jbsellars
04-07-2014, 04:41 PM
This was all great advice. I used the spray millet outside my cage today and placed a few perches on the outside front of the cage and at one point both my birds came out of the cage! One even flew onto the top of the cage. Definitely an improvement- Thanks for your help! :budgie::)

kcladyz
04-09-2014, 09:48 PM
mine refuse the step up they run as soon as I try so I leve the door open and they exit as they please. the boys I do not for they are not as smart as the girls and do not fly well yet

nules
05-10-2014, 10:03 PM
Thanks fir the tips... im def going to try the perches on thw outside of the cage... :)

rhadoo
06-14-2014, 05:42 PM
I grabed my budgie twice with the hand to put it back in the cage :(. It will afrct the trust forever? Cheers

Heletia
06-26-2014, 07:45 PM
Terrific information, thank you. Karma given. :)