A Budgie shaking it's wing and holding it away from it's body? [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: A Budgie shaking it's wing and holding it away from it's body?

otephputs
02-07-2009, 04:48 AM
was that a mites???

Over the last couple of last weeks, she has started to hold it higher, and it also trembles/vibrates and shakes quite often

SpickyDavies
02-07-2009, 05:52 AM
what did your vet say about it?
has she lost any flight feathers?

absolutangel
02-07-2009, 06:31 AM
If a bird is holding it's wings away from it's body it could be because it is too hot, not sure about how the shaking ties in though. Hopefully someone will recognise this and let you know what it is.

otephputs
02-07-2009, 09:06 AM
nope she says nothing about her wings....

and she hasnt lost any flight feathers..

softie
02-07-2009, 10:10 AM
What is the temperature like in your area?

Does she flap around a lot? Does she fly often?

aster
02-07-2009, 10:17 AM
If your budgie's wings are folded and slightly held away from it's body and shakes them it's probably a sign of stress or tension. If your bird keeps it's wings folded but away from it's body without the shaking it's most likely feeling a bit warm or hot. So he keeps his wings away from his body to cool down.

One of my budgies has done the wing shaking a couple of times. If your budgie doesn't show any signs of being sick or weak I wouldn't worry about it too much.

Hope this helped :)

Edit: It could also be a sign of pain but then you would see your budgie do it almost continuously.

BUUZBEE
02-07-2009, 10:17 AM
Heat will cause them to lift their wings from their bodies, but not shake. I've heard of and seen quite a few that lift them and then the wing shakes/flutters, sometimes almost seeming uncontrolable. I personally feel its neuralogical, and not stress. I've had a couple do this over the years (in the aviary, with no stress to note), they are still living strong. Its a hard thing to have a vet diagnose, since its not done all the time, and of course never at the vets when you need it to! Since they have never shown any other signs of illness, it doesn't worry me as it did before.

Shy Bird
02-07-2009, 10:44 AM
i think its just a little stressed.i just buoght a new member of my flock and she (i think:S still a baby) did the same thing. she stopped after she became a little more comfortable in her new home.:D

otephputs
02-07-2009, 10:45 AM
the temperature here in the philippines is 28-33C

so i dont need to worry about it eh???

otephputs
02-07-2009, 10:46 AM
yeah she flaps her wings everytime...i think that was her exercise...

Saffron
02-07-2009, 10:49 AM
Sadly, I hate to say that my Saffi started out like that. I suggest any new or odd behaviour be dealt with right away. Poor Saffi had a tumor and it started with the right wing trembling and the wings being held away from her body, then she lost flight and just started getting weaker and losing mobility.
The vet did all she could do.
I just came back from euthanizing her this morning as I couldn't bear to see her suffer any more

BUUZBEE
02-07-2009, 10:50 AM
Over the last couple of last weeks, she has started to hold it higher, and it also trembles/vibrates and shakes quite often

yeah she flaps her wings everytime...i think it was her exercise...

Since its been over the last couple of weeks, unless something major has changed in her life, i dont see it as stress.

there is a big difference between "trembles/vibrates" to now "flaps" for excercise.
from what your first post described, it sounds like what i've seen before. flapping is not consistent with it.

BUUZBEE
02-07-2009, 10:52 AM
Sadly, I hate to say that my Saffi started out like that. I suggest any new or odd behaviour be dealt with right away. Poor Saffi had a tumor and it started with the right wing trembling and the wings being held away from her body, then she lost flight and just started getting weaker and losing mobility.
The vet did all she could do.
I just came back from euthanizing her this morning as I couldn't bear to see her suffer any more

very true... deffinatly a chance for a tumor.
(hugs to you by the way :( )

otephputs
02-07-2009, 11:02 AM
Since its been over the last couple of weeks, unless something major has changed in her life, i dont see it as stress.

there is a big difference between "trembles/vibrates" to now "flaps" for excercise.
from what your first post described, it sounds like what i've seen before. flapping is not consistent with it.

so was it normal for my queenie??

both of her wings are vibrating and then she flaps it everytime??

otephputs
02-07-2009, 11:05 AM
both of her wings are away from her body...

aster
02-07-2009, 11:15 AM
Do you mean she first trembles with her wings and after that she shakes out her feathers and flaps her wings?

AngelWings
02-07-2009, 05:09 PM
I don't know what it might be.. My Kiki had a case like this a while ago where she'd hold 1 wing away from her body, it was shaking too, the vet said it was because she is a clumsy flier so she bumpted her wing somewhere it was bruised.. it only lasted for 3 days though... Since yours has been lasting for 2 weeks and it's both wings then i don't think it's the same as mine.. i think it might be a tumour like Gloria said. . .

otephputs
02-08-2009, 02:47 AM
my queenie doesnt lose any flight feathers.... she was still active and healthy.... also she was flying... like the others said it maybe the temperature here... she was vibrating her wings away from her body when she was walking on her favorite perch...like a running motion...besides she vibrates only her wings for about 10 mins...and then it stops...

also i bought a new budgie and same as my queenie has...vibrating away from body... coz of the temperature here....

if my queenie has a tumor...she may have been started getting weaker and losing mobility...

and oh..

i want u all to see my new budgie...

ill post it later...

BUUZBEE
02-08-2009, 09:55 AM
Your best way to be sure of the cause would be a vet visit. Good luck... hopefully its nothing to worry about.

otephputs
02-08-2009, 11:07 AM
i told my vet about that... she said its bcoz of the temperature so nothing to worry about...its normal for them...

otephputs
02-08-2009, 11:10 AM
my queenie is lot more active and healthy bird... she always chirps and playing with her favorite swing... preening...flaps her wings for some exercise...

otephputs
02-08-2009, 11:10 AM
im so happy with her health progress...