Throwing food out of dish! [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Throwing food out of dish!

BowieChick
12-15-2008, 02:24 AM
Peter, my new budgie, keeps getting in his food dish (head first) and kicks all his food out of the dish. The bottom of the cage is just covered in perfectly good food! This is obviously wasteful and I'm afraid of him kicking out all his food before I get a chance to realize he has nothing in there. :nono:
Have any of your budgies ever done this? Is he just being a typical young hyper bird and having some fun? It's certainly not fun for me (though it does look pretty funny, I admit:XD:). How could I get him to stop?

lilifield
12-15-2008, 02:48 AM
Mine have done it a couple of times (the females only). Not sure what they're trying to accomplish. But then they would go to the bottom of the cage to eat, so I can only imagine.

Violetblue
12-15-2008, 04:14 AM
What are you feeding? Is there enough food available? Perhaps, if you are feeding seed, there are too many hulls in the way?

Mine do this, too, they are on pellets, though and only do this when they have a seed treat. Then they sometimes goof around in the large dish.

I am sure it also could be related to some instinctual behavior, so I feel that there is nothing to do, but make sure there is the right amount of food available and let it go as far as feeling that they are behaving naughtily.

So, if you feed seed, check it morning and afternoon for hulls, carefully blow off the hulls (or take two small containers and pour the seeds from one to another and let the wind carry the hulls away).

If they are transitioning to pellets, they could be fussing around, so make sure they have enough food to eat and try putting the pellets on a mirror (a plastic one you can get at the Dollar Store is really safe) and as my vet explained and showed me, they will eat pellets off the mirror because they think "the other bird" is eating them. Mind games on budgies!
:D

Best

VickyLouise
12-15-2008, 04:27 AM
Milly used to chuck her food everywhere aswell.. so what i done was put a small bowl on the cage floor and she she eats from there... put the bowl somewhere where it isnt undernether a perch so that no poo goes into the food.
Maybe you could try it?
xx

Budgietom
12-15-2008, 07:49 AM
Mine have done it a couple of times (the females only). Not sure what they're trying to accomplish. But then they would go to the bottom of the cage to eat, so I can only imagine.

Females do that to make a nest when they are in breeding condition :)

Is it possible that Peter is actually Petricia? (i.e. a female :D )

Robin's Nest
12-15-2008, 08:31 AM
I would tend to agree with Budgietom, with the exception that my male cockatiel has expressed this behavior over the years as well. For awhile, he took a liking to this food bowl as a sleeping box, and wanted to get everything out to make room for himself. This was obvious since he only did the activity at night.

My suggestion would be to switch to a tower type feeder and position it with toys around it, perhaps high up and in a corner, where it can be accessed by a perch but it is difficult if not uncomfortably impossible for the bird to 'get inside' and scatter seed. In other words, arrange the environment to help modify the behavior. :)

SpickyDavies
12-15-2008, 10:43 AM
Peter, my new budgie, keeps getting in his food dish (head first) and kicks all his food out of the dish. The bottom of the cage is just covered in perfectly good food! This is obviously wasteful and I'm afraid of him kicking out all his food before I get a chance to realize he has nothing in there. :nono:
Have any of your budgies ever done this? Is he just being a typical young hyper bird and having some fun? It's certainly not fun for me (though it does look pretty funny, I admit:XD:). How could I get him to stop?

your bird is searching for something your not supplying, what seed are you feeding?:)

you cna aactually buy scatter free bowls, i'll get you a photo

http://www.24parrot.com/Scatterless-Seed-Cup--3-Sizes-P37377a/
this si the kinda thing im talking about

A-n-M
12-15-2008, 11:21 AM
Well Budgies mainly do this because they are foragers by nature. All Peter is trying to do is find the type of seed he likes best. My Budgie Iris is the same way, she only likes canary seeds and she mainly chooses those over the millet seed and what not. I haven't found anything to deter the behavior so I can't possible give you a solution.

Xealot
12-15-2008, 12:23 PM
I just give my budgie his seed in a very shallow container so there isn't as much to make a mess of. Although he still manages too .... he just does it by flapping his wings instead! Oh well as least I don't have to check for husks!

rachelle83
12-15-2008, 12:24 PM
In your picture you posted Peter looks very young, I think he is just trying to imitate the nest box.

BowieChick
12-15-2008, 12:43 PM
I'm not sure how young he is exactly. He has all his bars, I believe, and everything but I have no idea. And yeah I'm positive he's male. His cere is all purple with a touch of blue. No white in it or anything.
Sometimes he would go down and eat some and sometimes he just throws it about! And that's even when there are absolutely NO husks. He may be trying to pick out what he likes best but I can't figure out what that would be, since it all ends up on the bottom of the cage. :)
Well thanks for your suggestions everyone! I always see those scatter free bowls but they look pretty large and scary to me! I will consider everything.

Whistle&Steve
12-15-2008, 12:45 PM
Get a cover top bowl or one that is deep but is to small for the to fit

meta
12-15-2008, 04:11 PM
Budgies are ground-foraging parrots. Sometimes mine will throw seed onto the floor, then go down and forage for it.

aka.pody
12-15-2008, 07:19 PM
That little Peter is into all sorts of mischief isn't he. Or could it be her?
My female doesn't throw the food out. She tries to throw the whole cup out. Grabs an end and down to the bottom it goes. I finally had to get different types of seed cups that she can't throw out.
Must be that girl thing. :rolleyes:

Angelic Vampyre
12-15-2008, 07:43 PM
You have to remember that they way we feed our birds is against their nature, it's not like there are 100s of little containers out in the wild with mounds of seed in them. My King Parrot drops all his friut and seeds on the bottom of the cage and then goes down and eats them (why I had to take the grill out). Also young chicks do this for fun and to try and find someplace to hide.

enicol6
12-15-2008, 09:03 PM
My babies seem to do this for fun/instinct. When Lila does it I know eggs are acoming. Try some of the cups people showed or simply smaller cups. They do have some feeders that look like upside down test tubes which may help.