Do parakeets travel well by car? [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Do parakeets travel well by car?

Sweety&Tweety
08-11-2008, 02:17 PM
I've been telling my mom how much my daughter and I are enjoying our newly adopted budgies Sweety and Tweety. Her last bird, a cockatiel, died of old age this year. She's thinking of getting a baby to get it bonded to her.

The only thing I worry about is that my dad is working 2 1/2 hours away right now and she lives up there with him for 4 days a week and then they drive back down here for 3 days a week. She would want to have the bird travel with her to stay close to it. Is this something that would stress a yound bird, or by getting it young and getting it used to travel be okay?

She's also wanting to get just one so it will be closer to her because she's concerned with two they will bond more to each other. I think she should get two. She's like me and stays at home a lot, so she would be able to give it lots of love and attention. I appreciate any comments or feedback.:budgie:

Keasha_Plus_Me
08-11-2008, 04:20 PM
I think if the car is air conditioned, the music is playing softly and reassuringly, and baby's up in the front set, it should be fine. :)

absolutangel
08-11-2008, 04:24 PM
A few people on here have said they half cover the cage while travelling. You should take any toys out that might hurt them, obviously. They seem to like a bit of music too. My parent's bird was in the car for hours when they moved home and apparently he cheeped all the way, loved it.

aka.pody
08-11-2008, 04:44 PM
Why not? As long as there's nothing loose in the cage. Just remove potential hazards.
I would cover the cage partly and leave one side open. This way the bird can see you and you should talke to the while in the car.
If the cage isn't too big, putting it in the back seat with a seatbelt securing it would be ideal.
Just always making sure that it's in a place where it won't get bounced around or slide.

Too bad about her tiel. :( Must have had a wonderful like with your mom.
Think she might be getting a budgie?

Kate C
08-11-2008, 06:45 PM
As I show my birds they are used to going in the car regularly. The budgies are usually in show boxes so only the front is open. But when I had birds flown from Melbourne to Sydney and they were in small travel boxes I took an Exercise cage down with me and transferred them to that for the trip home. It was quite a hot day so they were more comfortable in the open cage. They had a ball singing all the way home. It took longer to drive home that the flight from Melbourne to Sydney.

The parrots always seem to enjoy going in the car with many of them singing whenever the car is moving. When we stop for traffic lights they stay quite. Depends on what songs are on the radio as to how they react to them. Some they just listen to and others they merrily sing along with.

chompie_puppy
08-11-2008, 07:56 PM
My budgies sing up a storm when I take them in the car! They love listening to the radio while I'm driving. :)

I definitely think the budgie will get used (and even enjoy) the car trips.

Sweety&Tweety
08-11-2008, 09:44 PM
I'm glad to hear so many positive responses to the idea. When I was younger and lived at home, my mom had up to 14 birds at one time. We had 3 cockatiels, 2 parakeets, 1 jenday conure(I know I spelled that wrong), and several finches.

One time she was able to get the finch babies before they went wild. She hand fed them from toothpicks and raised them and they were the sweetest things. They were so tiny but would come and get on your shoulder or head. She also used to take them to some of the local schools and let the finches visit with the children and she would also take her cockatiels because they would talk and whistle.

All of her birds have died of old age through the years. Louise was the last to pass and she was at least 20, but I think a little older. I've always had a healthy respect for birds and love of them.

I've been so happy since we adopted Sweety and Tweety, I think it's made my mom really miss her birds. She is thinking of getting a baby parakeet to raise. I hope she does because she always makes sure her animals bond to me too just in case something ever happened to her.

Celyste
08-12-2008, 02:13 AM
i would guess hte easiest thing would be to have two 'home' cages (one at each house) and then just a travel cage for the vehicle. Something where you could secure the food and water dishes as well as easily belt in the cage. then a 2.5 hour drive would be nothing for the birdy. Like the poster above, I'd also suggest putting him in the back seat... especially if the car has passenger air bags. Sounds like your mom would be the perfect budgie owner! :-)

SpickyDavies
08-12-2008, 09:27 AM
it would be a good idea to tkae the budgie on short journeys first aswell, asin aorund town, increasing the time in the car, so its not like BAM 2 hours of driving, make sure theres a supply of fresh air

Sweety&Tweety
08-12-2008, 02:18 PM
I'll tell her everyone on here is thinking it should work traveling with a budgie. I know she misses having birds so much. She is really great with birds. I love birds because as she raised me we always had them.