Crop Infection & Sinus Infection [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Crop Infection & Sinus Infection

AngelWings
07-19-2008, 02:48 PM
I took Kiki to the vet and he told us the many possibilities and we did a couple of things there. We found out through that test, where a tube goes into the budgie's crop area and gets a bit of it to see if there's any bacteria and she had discharges from her nose which he said was also an infection so he gave us two medicines for her. One is Baytril which i'm going to have to give 0.5ml to her through s syringe twice a day (every 12 hours) and on the 28th we have another appointment just to see if she's doing better. He also gave us powder vitamins to give Kiki called Nekton-s because she doesn't get enough vitamins since she barely eats anything :XD: well i've always been worried that she's underweight but he weighed her and she was 36g and her crop was full :) he said she's at the perfect weight :):P My mom wasn't too happy with the price :XD: it was $302.55 plus we'll have to pay $55 again on the 28th just to see the vet, vets are so expensive these days.. not even my dog's vet costs as much :XD:. So i said i'll get a job and pay it all back to her, i'm just glad my little baby is going to be okay. She was a very good girl :) she didn't bite when the doctor grabbed her and the nurse said that kiki didn't bite her either when they were doing the tests :) so i'm super proud of her. He taught me how to give her the medicine through the syringe and i got it :) One thing that went bad is now she's a little scared so i'm not going to go to play with her as much since she's probably had a lot of stress, i'm sure if i had a tube going down my throat i'd be pretty stressed.

Lesson learned - Vet's are super important!! even if there is only a small change in behaviour, take your birds to the vet! Kiki was chirping the whole way :) and in the vets office as well :) my step dad thought it was silly because she was happy and wasn't poofed up, she was playing and everything but that one day where her behaviour changed, i noticed something was wrong and even though she went back to her normal self yesterday, she had a sinus & crop infection! So everyone take your birds to the vet at least once every year (if not twice) it's very important!!

Oh and yes i'm still getting the new budgie but my mom said in a couple of months or so just to make sure kiki's okay :) I'm sure proud of my baby :) I'm just not fond of having to grab her to give her medicine, i'm sure she'll hate me for a while since he said that birds don't really like the taste of it but millet can work miracles :P

atvchick95
07-19-2008, 03:25 PM
Glad you followed your instincts :) I'm sure she'll be all better really soon

I can tell you from experience having a tube shoved down your throat is NO fun what so ever, I had it done 4 times in one day and my tube had a scope at the end. lets just say the doctor told the nurse if i had to get it done any more during my hospital stay they would be putting me in restraints to do it!

AngelWings
07-19-2008, 03:31 PM
Glad you followed your instincts :) I'm sure she'll be all better really soon

I can tell you from experience having a tube shoved down your throat is NO fun what so ever, I had it done 4 times in one day and my tube had a scope at the end. lets just say the doctor told the nurse if i had to get it done any more during my hospital stay they would be putting me in restraints to do it!

ouch must have been horrible :(:(
Everyone in my house kept telling me Kiki was alright, because she was happy and chirping but i looked into her little eyes and knew something was wrong. I'm super glad that i didn't choose to ignore it and think i was just imagining things, she got her beak trimmed too, she looks so gorgeous :) i'm such a proud mommy :)

edit: atvchick is it normal for her to be more quiet, she's closing her eyes and is a bit poofed up.. she wasn't like this before we took her to the vet, she was happy, chirping and not poofed and energetic and now she's acting weird. Is it because of the anti biotics?

mskimber
07-19-2008, 06:34 PM
i don't know about birds...but when i'm on antibiotics, i feel punky, tired, sometimes even diarreha, so could be

Pippin's mom
07-19-2008, 07:07 PM
I think the antibotics are probably making Kiki sleepy though Pippin is on he same thing and very active today..he wants out of that hospital cage!:rolleyes:

I'm glad that Kiki is being treated and on her way to being healed!:D vets are expensive..its crazy! Our bill was $190.00 so we did a bit better, but Kiki had different things wrong so more tests.

I hope pippin and Kiki's follow up visits find them completely better!:)

Deuce81
07-19-2008, 07:40 PM
Glad to hear the vet found out what was wrong and it is treatable. Hope Kiki gets well quickly.

Mommytomany
07-19-2008, 07:53 PM
Most likely it is the medicine. When we first gave Pablo injections for a infection once, he slept almost the entire day.

That said, birds can go downhill VERY fast so be sure to keep a close eye on her. If you feel in your gut something is wrong, or if anything else seems off (breathing funny, balance messed up) then I would rush the bird ASAP. Worst case scenario you went to the vet for nothing... best case, you save the bird's life.

Good luck!

AngelWings
07-19-2008, 10:45 PM
Yay! i just succeded my first time in giving her the medicine! :D
she wouldn't stop wiggling :( i felt kinda bad having to hold her still and giving her yucky medicine :XD: but i wish she'd knew that it was for her own good :(

Deuce81
07-19-2008, 10:48 PM
I am sure she will forgive you once she is feeling better.

lamagdalena
07-19-2008, 11:09 PM
why did she get the crop infection? did your vet say any possibilities?

I hope she feels better from the medicine quick! keep us posted on your baby Kiki.
Vet bills are very expensive indeed. Thats somewhat what I spent when I thought Yoshi was sick and in the end nothing was wrong with her -.-. better broke with a peace of mind than sorry :P

AngelWings
07-19-2008, 11:13 PM
why did she get the crop infection? did your vet say any possibilities?

I hope she feels better from the medicine quick! keep us posted on your baby Kiki.
Vet bills are very expensive indeed. Thats somewhat what I spent when I thought Yoshi was sick and in the end nothing was wrong with her -.-. better broke with a peace of mind than sorry :P

Whoa, that's expensive for a non sick bird. I was supposed to pay $85 plus tax for the appointment but he saw a couple of things wrong with her and sugested the tests to make sure so in the end i had $302 but at least she's going to be okay :)

i knew something was wrong because usually she gives me this glare, it says "stay away from me i don't like you" glare and she wasn't she was giving this "i'm such an angel" kind of look and i instantly knew that there was something wrong with my little girl since her attitude was all gone :XD: He didn't say why but he did say that when he flushed it there was a lot of bacteria :(:( my poor baby came out looking all scared. On the bright side she looks super gorgeous because he inserted anti biotics into her nares since there was discharge from it and the nasty ugly brown spots right above her cere is gone! it's all white and clean :D i was so happy :D:D she wasn't happy though :XD: she kept sneezing after, it was so funny & cute :P