Pine Shavings [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Pine Shavings

Will
05-28-2008, 12:16 AM
Are pine shavings really ok to use in budgie nest boxes? I was told it was on another forum but most animals are allergic to pine and it can cause repiratory problems. is it not teh same for birds?

Leel
05-28-2008, 01:13 AM
im not sure I use it for my lizards though, the like to hide in it and if the eat only alittle it wont hurt them much, but could be a diffrent type of wood? aslong as its untreated.

prettybird1212
05-28-2008, 02:05 AM
Pine shavings and Cedar Shavings are bad- I would use carefresh bedding. I wouldn't use shavings anyway because they might hurt any babies

Celyste
05-28-2008, 02:15 AM
Pine shavings are fine, though cedar are not. Pine needles, sap (and therefore bark) are dangerous because of the scent, but the wood itself is fine.

One of the 'tricks' around here is for companies to mix cedar with pine. Just look in the bag before you buy it. If's it's all light wood, it's perfect. if there are chunks of red stuff or bark, don't.

if you are still concerned, you could also go the free route and tear up some newspapers (veggie based ink only!)

Will
05-28-2008, 02:36 AM
yea, someone told me it wasnt necessary to use carefresh and that pine shavings would be better since the little pieces of wood and stuff would give the babies something to grip. theres nothing much i can do now tho since i've already got pineshavings in the box and if i take out the box i'll stress the parents which i hate doing. should i anyway though?

CARRIE1981
05-28-2008, 06:51 AM
yeah i also been told to use pine shavings, all the breeders i have ever been to use it aswell and the birds grow up lovely:)

atvchick95
05-28-2008, 06:55 AM
all pine shavings i've been around is scented - and ANY scent can kill a bird

I only use carefresh bedding and they grip on to it just fine, They always bring a chunk out with them when i pick them up to check them, clean thier feet/ bands, etc

Plus shavings of any kind are not very absorbant like the care fresh bedding is

I won't even use any shavings, or that corn cob bedding stuff in thier cages i use newspapers

DeBree420
05-28-2008, 10:52 AM
i use unscented/untreated pine shavings in my cages as a 'litter' it does soak up the water and poo ect ...
ANCS (Australian National Cockatiel Society) and the NSW Budgerigar Society both recommend pine shavings (unscented/untreated) to be used in nestboxes...

and when i have nest boxes set up this is what i use, i also know a few breeders of budgies,
cockatiels and other Aussie grass parrots like Bourkes and Red Rumps, they use pine shavings for them as well...

i would never use corn cob bedding, and i do use newspaper in the bottom of my cages with grates, but i dont use printed newspaper, i buy the 'end rolls' from the place that prints the newspapers, is basically like a big roll of 'butcher paper'....

the only people i have ever known to buy 'nesting material' other than pine shavings, have generally been 'hobby' breeders who think that the cost amounts to quality...
but that is here in Australia, we dont have 'care fresh bedding' over here (at least no where i have seen) but even if we did, i probably wouldnt buy it, unscented pine shavings do quite well for me, so i have no need to pay more for something different...

Will
05-28-2008, 12:18 PM
I've never heard of unscented pine shavings. The kind I've got smell good, like pine but are rather strong smelling. i'll tear up newspaer with veggie based ink then.

Kerry C
05-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Are pine shavings really ok to use in budgie nest boxes? I was told it was on another forum but most animals are allergic to pine and it can cause repiratory problems. is it not teh same for birds?

No, allergies are not the problem with pine shaveings. The problem is that many times a chemical is used to speed the drying process. This is not harmeful for horses, but is toxic for birds - baby birds. Been there done that! I got hold of a bag of shavings that contained this chemical and lost ever baby dove who was in a nest basket filled with them. I'm glad it was only baby doves and not my $600/each baby Jardine parrots! Once I replaced the nesting material with something else I didn't loose any more baby doves.

For all my hookbills I now use shredded aspin in my nest boxes.

Cedar shaves are not to be used with birds at all because of the harsh smell.

BUUZBEE
05-28-2008, 02:50 PM
I always use carefresh bedding :)

Kerry C
05-28-2008, 04:04 PM
I always use carefresh bedding :)

I have been thinking about giving that a try. I have a small bag left over from when I was carting chicks to/from work while they needed hand feeding.

BUUZBEE
05-28-2008, 04:08 PM
I can't compair to shavings as I've never used them, but I do like the carefresh. Any waste is quickly absorbed and easy to remove/replace. I hope you like it :)

Kate C
05-28-2008, 07:41 PM
Here in Oz we can get untreated pine shavings. These are used for mice, rats, guinea pigs and rabbits mainly. I use it in the brooders I use for the babies I am hand raising. They are very good for use there as they are very absorbant and also retain warmth very well. They are produced to an Australian Standard so are very safe to use.

In my nest boxes I use fine eucalyptus mulch. This is very natural and is untreated also. After all this is what the birds nest in in the wild so if it is ok for them it is ok for my breeding birds. The essential oils in the mulch also protect the nest from mites and lice.

Some breeders use special kitty litter that is made from recycled paper. I don't like that at all and would not use it. Many breeders over here use special nesting material that is wood shavings and peat moss mixed together. I don't like this as I feel the peat moss could cause respiratory problems with the birds. Many budgie breeders over here use no nesting material at all just have the nest box with the concave floor. I have always used nesting material with my budgies.

Another thing we can get over here which is quite safe is Rice Hulls but they only come in huge bails that weigh over 100lb. I used to use that when I was also using it as mulch on the garden so the bail did not last long. This is the husk of the rice seed and is also untreated. Anything that is used for mulch on gardens is not treated with anything as it could leach out into the plants and many people use it on the vege gardens so it is not allowed to be sold for that purpose if it has been treated with anything.

Will
05-30-2008, 06:34 PM
I can't compair to shavings as I've never used them, but I do like the carefresh. Any waste is quickly absorbed and easy to remove/replace. I hope you like it :)

Yeah, i think i'll use carefresh as I can't find any veggie based ink newspaper. I'd like to get more carefresh anyway since i always used to use it with my hamsters but my parents said it was too expensive for how many hamsters I've got. now they'll have to buy it :D

prettybird1212
05-30-2008, 08:52 PM
oh, I only said the pine shavings were bad, because I wasn't sure and thought that the smell might be bad.

atvchick95
05-30-2008, 10:00 PM
I absoutly love carefresh bedding, the last bag we got my b/f had to call me while @ the store because they didn't have the one he'd been getting ( it was brown in color) they had white, pink and blue

he said the white was the only one with something about Absorbant on it and since I wasn't too sure about the colored because I don't know how it's colored and I wasn't there to read the package, So i had him get the white, when he got hom it said "more absorbant" I like it better then the other one we were using (the brown colored)

and we don't pay that much for it and it lasts us a while and i clean the boxes once a week some times twice

Next time we go to the store or buy some I'll have to pay attention to the price

Will
05-30-2008, 10:14 PM
I've always used the brown but I'm planning on looking for other colors because I'm quite bored of the brown :P. I'll look for 'more absorbent' I didn't know that there was such thing either.

atvchick95
05-31-2008, 01:04 AM
I've always used the brown but I'm planning on looking for other colors because I'm quite bored of the brown :P. I'll look for 'more absorbent' I didn't know that there was such thing either.

the only con i have with it, is its as white as the eggs are LOL and Id looked in a nest box Didn't notice the egg, my b/f looked behind me and asked "why didn't you tell me there was an egg in here" well um because I didnt see it, She laid it on the bedding (normally they clear a spot and lay it on the wood lol)

but other than that it's awesome and I won't use ne thing other than carefresh bedding.

Will
05-31-2008, 01:11 AM
the only con i have with it, is its as white as the eggs are LOL and Id looked in a nest box Didn't notice the egg, my b/f looked behind me and asked "why didn't you tell me there was an egg in here" well um because I didnt see it, She laid it on the bedding (normally they clear a spot and lay it on the wood lol)

but other than that it's awesome and I won't use ne thing other than carefresh bedding.

Oh, yea I have that same problem with my winter white dwarf hamster. i use toilet paper and tissuue paper in his cage and he's white just like the paper.

I think i'll try to find blue carefresh. i've seen that color before and that way i'll be able to see the eggs clearly and blue is my favoite color anyhow :)

atvchick95
05-31-2008, 01:14 AM
Do you know what the carefresh bedding is colored with?
I didn't know if it was safe for birds ( i know hamsters,gerbils etc are differnt then birds and can use differnt things) if the colored is safe for birds, then next time we have to buy some and they only have colored to choose from we won't have to go to differnt stores looking for the white or brown :)

too bad it didn't come in purple :D (if its safe that is )

Will
05-31-2008, 01:28 AM
Yeah, its colored with food coloring.

DeBree420
05-31-2008, 01:38 AM
I've never heard of unscented pine shavings. The kind I've got smell good, like pine but are rather strong smelling. i'll tear up newspaer with veggie based ink then.

i dare say that it would be unscented/untreated pine then...
ask the place you got it from....
unscented/untreated pine shavings SHOULD smell like pine... it is pine, and has not had any scents or treatments added to it...

most newspaper has vege based ink, by law, just in case children chew on it....
i dont use ANY printed newspaper, i use the paper before its printed on ;)

i like to lay down a small amount of pine shavings, on top of the paper, this satisfies their foraging instinct, as i hide food treats and foot toys in it....

in nest boxes i use pine shavings only...
if i need to monitor poo or something in the nestbox, i put paper towelling down over the top of the shavings....