budgie making a sneezing noise [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: budgie making a sneezing noise

dray1986
08-18-2006, 03:36 PM
Hello over the past 3 weeks i have noticed that my budgie keeps making a sneezing noise and i dont know why can anyone help

~*Brittany*~
08-18-2006, 03:40 PM
OO oo i got this one! lol

My budgie bobby kept making the sneezing noise too. I came on the forum and they weren't really sure, but we all figured that it was him having trouble regurgitating. Later on, Bobby was playing in his bath, and somehow his head went under, i got him out and calmed him down. and he was making that sneezing noise again.

So I'm pretty sure you dont have to worry. Your budgie will be okay, I think its just like how we cough to get something out of our throats. It will eventually stop. But if you can see that your budgie has trouble breathing or something serious, you should contact an avian vet immediately

Amy
08-18-2006, 03:40 PM
Your budgie sounds like he has a cold, or something up his nose! I'd take him to an avian vet, just to be sure.

Find one near you here:

http://www.aav.org/vet-lookup/

http://www.exoticpetvet.net/

http://www.abvp.com (http://www.abvp.com)

Mr. Pretty Bird
08-18-2006, 03:44 PM
If it's a little "tss" Then it's probably normal, but if it's different, ^^

BUUZBEE
08-18-2006, 03:46 PM
how dry is the air in your house? when the humidity is very low, they get dry inside. try a humidifier and see if it clears up. coco has the same thing, an hour with the humidifier on and he stops
if you live a humid area, then i would advise a vet trip

Joey
08-18-2006, 04:31 PM
Look inside the nostrals is there fluid inside?Look very carefully and tell me if thier is VET (ASAP) :S

BUUZBEE
08-18-2006, 04:34 PM
yes, thats true, are they wet or dry sneezes?

if dry, look into the humidity levels

Rosie
08-18-2006, 05:34 PM
My budgies quite often make a 'tss' sound. Its like a sneeze, but its not. It's quite cute! :p

Budgiekin
08-18-2006, 05:48 PM
Some "sneezing" is normal for budgies. It cleans out their nares. I wouldn't be concerned if you aren't noticing any other signs of illness, like runny nares, watery droppings, wheezing, lethargy etc. They will often do this after bathing, if the air is dry, or if they have something (like dust) in their nostrils....:p

ditto
08-18-2006, 06:47 PM
budgies make that kind of noise while breathing and you can hear if you get closer. But did you observe any breathing difficulties? or any other unusual behaviours that bird doesn't normally do, any eating disorder etc.? If so you should take him to a vet.

Tracie H
08-20-2006, 08:51 PM
I've read that airsac mites can cause sneezing, and that if an infected bird is left untreated it could die, and that if you let it go too long then the treatment can even kill it. A trip to the vet could be in order.

Joey
08-20-2006, 09:59 PM
Some birds just sneeze to clear their nasal passages... In some cases it means illness...Any fluid in there yet?

Elysia
02-07-2007, 04:40 AM
Hi All,

Barry had a respitory infection (he was definitley sneezing) in December which a trip to the vet and a course of antibiotics seemed to fix.

Now he seems to be having trouble regurgitating. He is making like a squeaky couging sound. It's pretty frequent but after he does it he seems quite happy.

He seems pretty happy, singing and clowning around - do you think he is sick? The avian vet is SO far away I don't want to go if this is normal! But of course I will if anyone thinks he doesn't sound well.

Thanks,
Elysia

Ruta<3
02-07-2007, 08:52 AM
Hm, thats one tought cookie. Since budgies can very well hide their sickness he may be doing that... but if he is so happy that cant be hiding.

PIZU
02-07-2007, 11:39 AM
pizu does that sneezing sound very often ,especialy when he comes on our shoulder and with a lough we tell him (bless you ).hope that is nothing to worry about we allways thought it's normal :) :) :S

softie
02-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Hi All,

Barry had a respitory infection (he was definitley sneezing) in December which a trip to the vet and a course of antibiotics seemed to fix.

Now he seems to be having trouble regurgitating. He is making like a squeaky couging sound. It's pretty frequent but after he does it he seems quite happy.

He seems pretty happy, singing and clowning around - do you think he is sick? The avian vet is SO far away I don't want to go if this is normal! But of course I will if anyone thinks he doesn't sound well.

Thanks,
Elysia

Does your budgie sound like this?

http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/softieTB/th_MOV00738.jpg (http://s127.photobucket.com/albums/p124/softieTB/?action=view&current=MOV00738.flv)

If so, I advise you to go to your vet immediently! My baby Christmas had been making these sounds for two days and unfortunately, he passed away right after, even with the medications given to him.

The day that I first noticed his noises, he was playing, eating and acting like a healthy budgie. Just a day after, the worst came over him. :(

tsp1lrk
02-07-2007, 09:10 PM
Could be a respiratory infection, that's what my Skyler had- but the antibiotics didn't work; although she didn't sneeze alot- budgies are VERY good at hiding illnesses, get to the vet, the sooner the better... it's the best thing to do.

Elysia
02-08-2007, 05:37 AM
hi - thanks for the replies.

Softie, I'm so sorry to hear about Christmas. Poor l'il thing! Barry is not making that kind of sound. That was a very stressed sound. Barry's is more like he has something stuck in his thraot that he tries to get up.

Maybe it is ok, but you are right, I better go to the vet to be on the safe side.:(

Thanks,
Elysia

missmeri
02-14-2007, 09:24 AM
Wow, that's scary. I noticed that my Jack-Jack sneezes often, and clear fluid sprays out. But I don't think much of it. I figure the air is just a little dry. in the last 2 days, he's been making a scary sound. Almost as if he's coughing, but there isn't much sound coming out, just air and an occasional squeek. It only lasts a few seconds, then he's ok. We've had him for a month and never noticed it before. I figured he was just having trouble regurgitating, especially since the last time he did it, he shook his head and a seed flew out of his mouth. I'll assume it's nothing. What do you think?