My budgie died yesterday [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: My budgie died yesterday

sunshinesky
03-14-2008, 11:59 PM
I bought my female budgie from Petco and had her for only 6 months. I know she was a baby because she had alot of baby stripes. I also bought a male baby at the sametime. They got along great. I have experience with older budgies that I had for 5 years that were given to me. However, I never had baby budgies. Her name is "Sleeping Beauty" when I first brought her home she was playful, eating and drinking normal. Played with "Misty boy" fed each other normal stuff. About, maybe a month or two after that she would always sleep and I thought that was normal because she would get up to eat and drink. She would preen herself and misty. She would play for a while but then go back to sleeping. I assumed it was because she was a baby she needed alot of rest. She loved her millet spray. She loved her swing they would cuddle and swing together. I fed them all seed diet and gave them millet with fruit stick.
The day before yesterday in the middle of the night I heard her fall to the bottom of the cage a big crash when I went to check on her she climbed back to the top perch and her heart was beating fast. I stood for awhile to make sure she was okay and covered her up. Yesterday, I noticed she was at the bottom cage holding one leg stiff over the perch as if it was stiff. I put blankets on the bottom of the cage. I moved water and sprinkled some seeds on the blanket. Then I microwaved a small towel just warm and wrapped it in her a little bit then covered her with it. She slept for a few hours. However, by the mid morning she started screaming real loud crying so I picked her up with a blanket and rubbed her cheeks telling her it's okay and layed her down on my stomach. I didn't know she was dying. I just knew she didn't feel good and I thought it was because of her leg. I even put neosporin on her leg because my vet told me awhile ago that you can put that on their foot to help with pain. All of a sudden, she started spreading her wings out and going into a seizure, she was crying and looking up at me and there was nothing I could do. I was crying and wanted to scream louder but was doing my best to comfort her and I rubbed her cheeks and kept telling her it's okay when she was crying this went on for a good 2 minutes then her head twisted sideways. It was horrifying to watch her in so much pain, why did she die so slow. I felt so bad. There was nothing I could do I was hysterical. I have been sick ever since. I wasn't even going to post on the board because I am heartbroken. I want to know why my bird died so slow? Do they all have to suffer a long death? My poor Misty boy has been screaming all day looking for her. His voice is getting raspy from screaming and jumping all around the cage looking for her. I took out everything from the cage and disinfected it. I washed the inside of the cage and put everything back the same way it was. It's so sad for me and Misty.

Aquaseafoam
03-15-2008, 12:27 AM
I'm sorry about what happened to your budgie. I'm also sorry that I don't have an answer for you about why that had to happen to her. If you haven't buried her yet, why don't you take her to an avian vet to have a necropsy done? then you could have some closer. If that isn't possible, just try to move on and keep little misty company.

califjewls
03-15-2008, 01:10 AM
Sunshinesky I am very sorry for your loss. I wish I had an answer for you but I do not. I am very glad that you were with your Sleeping Beauty when she passed as I am sure she was also glad. A loss is very painful, but some day in the future it will be a little bit easier. May your precious Sleeping Beauty rest peacefully.

Brilliantfids
03-15-2008, 01:19 AM
Im so sorry to hear of your loss!! Its so sad when we lose a bird....im sorry again

lilifield
03-15-2008, 01:33 AM
I'm filled with sorrow for you and your bird.

atvchick95
03-15-2008, 01:41 AM
I m sorry to hear of your loss, unfortunatly only a avian vet can tell you why your bird died, but you would of had to put it in a bag in the fridge right away, if you couldn't get to a vet right then and there to preserve the body tissue, so the vet could run tests to find out why

but from just reading what you've wrote - and i'm no expert - this is just a guess, it sounds like she possiably could of had a sezuire causing her too fall off her perch - which in turn caused her to hurt her leg

or there is a 'disease'(not sure if that is even the right word) that causes a part or parts of a birds body to go numb which would cause them to fall also but i can't recall the name of it

I had a bird die a few months ago out of the blue actually 2 within 3 days of eachother

the 1st one her name was Candy (because she looked like a piece of salt water taffy she was mainly white with some sky blue and then it looked like some one took a air brush to her with yellow and just swiped it over her lightly) she was fine before i left to go to the store ( i was gone 20 mins. if that) I got home went in my room I couldn't find Candy, So i started looking under my bed - my birds liked playing under there, she wasn't there I was about to look under my dresser , then she came walking out from under my dresser - I picked her up - that caught me off guard ( i had her for 6 days) she ran from me never let me touch her, I put her back in the cage and a little bit later my daughter brought her out, and said look mom Candy is playing dead - (my daughter is 10) i snapped at her and told her that isn't funny ( i didnt hear her say the "playing " part) then i turned around and looked and candy was laying limp in her hands, not standing, not perching like she should of been, so i got her and sat her on the desk, she couldn't stand she'd fall over, or if she did stand it was only for a second if that when she'd go to walk it was more like some one gave her a hard push and she'd just go across the desk really fast when she'd fall over and try to stand up she just went in circles , her head would fall back and she'd twist it completly around - i knew something was wrong, I called a vet and while i was on hold waiting for some one to answer she had what i could only assume was a sezuire, her whole body started shaking and her legs went straight out and stiff , then it would stop and a minute or so later her legs came unstiff, but while i was on the phone with the vet trying to get in for the vet to see her she died in my hands ........ it all happened within 5-10 mins of time but my god it felt like days

my daughter bawled her eyes out she thought her comment is what made candy die, then my son was bawling his eyes out - even know we only had her for 6 days she stole all our hearts

just the day before she was playing on the living room floor and i was on the P.C. and she was heading toward the bathroom (the comode seat was down) and I said " candy you better get your lil butt back in here that room is off limits" so she got to the door frame of the bathroom, turned around and ran back to the living room (which for me that would of been 3 steps) but it was just so cute and i thought it was adorable how she actually listened, and I told my kids "ya'll better take lessons off her" she'll keep ya outta trouble .

Violetblue
03-15-2008, 02:01 AM
Gosh, I am sorry. That is hard to go through. You were very strong for her. I've been there myself.

I think that it's hard to say what happened when she fell. She could have hit her head and caused internal bleeding.

The only thing to do is a necropsy.

So sorry you had to go through this. :(

Tracey
03-15-2008, 04:06 AM
I'm really sorry to hear of your loss. I'm glad you were there for her and took such good care of her when she wasn't well.
At least she's not in pain anymore. Poor little thing.

Bea
03-15-2008, 04:18 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

I would guess that she's been unwell since you bought her, and the tiredness over time was because it was beginning to affect her. Many, many illnesses can have symptoms such as lethargy, seizures, etc so like others have said the only way to get a real answer would've been to get a necropsy done at the vet. That is one of the common problems with pet store birds (especially from large chain stores) - the birds they sell come from bird mills which pump out birds at the fastest rate with minimal concern for anything but profit. This often leads to sick birds being sold, whether or not they are showing symptoms at the time of purchase.

If i were you, i would take Misty to the vet for a full check up, there's a good chance that whatever Sleeping Beauty had could've been passed to Misty so it's better to get him checked and possibly treated. I would also try to improve his diet by introducing fresh vegetables and fruit. An all seed diet can lead to a number of health problems and deficiencies.

RIP Sleeping Beauty.

deborah
03-15-2008, 07:31 AM
I'm very sorry for your loss. :(

I would guess that she's been unwell since you bought her, and the tiredness over time was because it was beginning to affect her. Many, many illnesses can have symptoms such as lethargy, seizures, etc so like others have said the only way to get a real answer would've been to get a necropsy done at the vet. That is one of the common problems with pet store birds (especially from large chain stores) - the birds they sell come from bird mills which pump out birds at the fastest rate with minimal concern for anything but profit. This often leads to sick birds being sold, whether or not they are showing symptoms at the time of purchase.

If i were you, i would take Misty to the vet for a full check up, there's a good chance that whatever Sleeping Beauty had could've been passed to Misty so it's better to get him checked and possibly treated. I would also try to improve his diet by introducing fresh vegetables and fruit. An all seed diet can lead to a number of health problems and deficiencies.

RIP Sleeping Beauty.

This sounds like very good advice. If you can i would take misty for a check up. I,m so sorry for your loss.

homebird
03-15-2008, 10:13 AM
Both stories of loss were heartbreaking. I am sorry to hear you lost such lovely birds.

Yes it would be a good idea to get the remaining Budgie checked out.
Or at least isolated for a few months - in case you were thinking of getting another right away. The cycle could just keep on going.

Think of cleaning up the cage & all toys with a bit of Grapeseed Extract in the water.

Quarantine is really important when bringing in another bird. We were thinking of another shelter bird but in the end I went with a bird from a small local breeder, as I knew in my heart the quarantine wouldn't be 100% around here.

budgiemama
03-15-2008, 10:39 AM
It sounds like one of the possibilities could be a tumor. I am not a doctor but I do have a lot of experience with birds. I agree in that you could take her for a necropsy.

This post made me cry. I just lost a bird on Feb 1st and he died very slowly too. He actually had a leg that the flesh died and he picked it even though he had been to the vet and they gave me some medicine that calms him down and sedates him a little (allopurinol). He ended up having one leg and hopping around on it. He was given lots of meds and seemed to have gotten a lot better...he was acting normally and getting around well. The doc thought it was his kidneys. So one day (Feb. 1st) I went to feed the budgies and he was sitting on the bottom all puffed up and very sleepy. In my heart, I knew he was dying. So I help him and gave him all my love. I rubbed him and sang to him and told him I loved him with all my heart. He seemed to be in a great amount of pain and his body kept having these horrible twitches. It was the longest day of my life. When he passed, his body was twitching as if he was in great pain and I was literally sobbing and asking that god please take him to heaven so he doesn't hurt anymore. It is very traumatic.

Come to find out, he had a tumor. Tumors, unfortunately, are common in budgies, especially around 5 years of age. Misty needs lots of love and attention...you should hold him or keep him near you because he is apt to feel very lonely or sad. You should take him to the vet just in case. Maybe think about getting another budgie to keep nearby so he won't feel so lonely. Birds can die from depression. They aren't unlike us when we lose a person we love.

My heart is with you and your beautiful little bird and I hope that you know that she knew you loved her. Sometimes they just leave us before we expect. If you feel at a loss or too upset or just need a friend who is a fellow budgie lover, please feel free to e-mail me or message me on AIM, Yahoo or MSN. You can click on those little icons to get my screennames and also all the info is in my profile, including my email address.

I know how bad it hurts but all you can do is let your emotions flow freely. I would give you one of my birdies if I could...one of my hens is sitting on 6 eggs! For future reference, if your bird is ever puffed up and sleepy for long periods of time, get him/her to the avian vet ASAP. It is usually a sign of illness and birds usually hide their illness and by the time you notice signs it may too late (but not always).

I will be thinking of you and your baby today and I hope you can start feeling better soon. ((((BIG HUGS))))

Heather

ETAHoffman
03-15-2008, 11:01 AM
Losing a bird is such a hard thing to face. I know from experience. Without a necropsy (or even, perhaps, WITH one) you may never know the cause of death.

I'm so sorry to hear of your loss. We were devastated when our littly Yma, a pet, talking Quaker, died. Our little feathered friends bring us so much joy and love...

titoandMac
03-15-2008, 11:59 AM
that has happened to me too. I had found athena on the floor of her cage with her wings out and her body was paralyzed. She was trying so hard to move but she could only twitch and move her head. she was a huge biter and i took her out and had her splayed on my lap and i wanted her to bite me to know that she was getting stronger but she had died in my hands a couple minutes later. also tito died in his food bowl that way... however that was years ago

Cannuck
03-15-2008, 12:03 PM
Bea has given you the best advice that I can think of. I am so sorry for your loss.

Pippin's mom
03-15-2008, 11:03 PM
I felt your pain reading your post...I'm so sorry for your loss.:(

Wonderbird
03-15-2008, 11:44 PM
I am so sorry to hear about the death of your beloved budgie! I know you are hurting and I am glad you were able to be there for her. I know how horrifying it must have been for you to see her suffer like that. She is at peace now. I wish you peace and comfort, and positive vibes coming your way. RIP little one. Fly high little sweetie.... xxxxxxx

sunshinesky
03-18-2008, 02:00 AM
Than You everyone for your compassion. My "Misty Boy" misses her still he cries and looks around and it makes me sad. However, I have 2 small parakeets perched up high on my armoire right next to him. They talk back to one another and he looks up at them and shows off but it's not the same. I am going to wait another week or so and get him a buddy. The two parakeets on the armoire were given to me. One is 10 and the other 5 and they are very petite and are use to being together. My "MIsty Boy" is big and a baby I wouldn't want him to accidentally hurt the "old bird" when he gets hyper. That is why I don't put him in with the. Thank You all for your support.