Parakeet scratching feet [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Parakeet scratching feet

parakeetlover
01-05-2008, 07:31 PM
So we were playing with one of the parakeets and it was on my brother's hand and it started stratching its feet and my brother noticed small white stuff on his finger. Is this normal?

birdybuddy1
01-05-2008, 07:41 PM
Was your parakeet using his mouth to scratch his feet? Mine do that a lot, probably to remove dead or flaking skin. The white stuff you are talking about may be just that - dry flaky skin. However, I don' t know what the white stuff is that you are talking about, so he may have some skin condition that you'd want to check with the vet about.

Budgiekin
01-05-2008, 07:43 PM
Well, it could very well be some dead skin cells..... Budgies will shed skin cells, much like we do.

Does your budgie look like he has a build-up of something on his feet? Do you have any clear closeup pictures of your budgie's feet?

parakeetlover
01-05-2008, 08:08 PM
Was your parakeet using his mouth to scratch his feet?

Yes, he was. I thought it was normal, just like you said maybe removing dead or flaking skin but i just wanted to make sure! :)

Budgiekin, I will take a picture of his feet..just in case :budgie:

Scuba
01-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Hopefully its is what like everyone is saying, dry skin. The cold dry air during winter makes this even worse. Before we had a humidifier in our keets room this used to be the case. Not so much with it.