Leaving Budgies Home Alone [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Leaving Budgies Home Alone

BubusMommy
10-20-2007, 04:44 PM
Hi fellow budgie owners,

Last time i posted, i was asking about transporting my budgies to my parents for the weekend, and that was resolved and worked out fine...but now i have another dilemma! I need to go out of town from Friday night and wont be returning until really really late on Sunday night--approx 50 hours budgies would be alone. I dont know if i will have time to transport them home to my parents so they can take care of them, and i dont have anyone else i trust to take care of the Budgies over the long weekend.

My question is, what is the longest you have left your budgies home alone and when you got back were they okay? I know i can leave them with enough fresh seeds, pellets and plenty of water.... But has anyone ever left them home alone for longer and if so what tips could you give me to ensure they will be okay?

Thanks! :S

Budgietom
10-20-2007, 06:06 PM
I left my budgie alone for four days with plenty of food and water. I made sure I double checked that the budgies cage was closed and then we left. We I returned my budgie Tom was missing. The cage was shut, the other budgie was still there but Tom had disappeared. I don't know what happened. He couldn't have escaped. I can hardly open his cage let alone him. I never saw him again :(

Budgiekin
10-20-2007, 09:02 PM
Our budgies have never been left alone over night. There are three main reasons why. The first is that our budgies have been known to have night frights, and we are always around in case they do (we have a baby monitor in their bedroom where they sleep so we can hear them). The second reason is that we like to make sure they get their daily exercise out of their cages. The third is that we want to make sure they have fresh food and water daily.

I know members have successfully left their budgies along for a couple of days, but I couldn't do it. I would worry about them like crazy. In fact, I had a webcam on my budgies when I had to go to work and there was no one home during the day. (Yes, I suppose that may be seen as being a bit overprotective, but it sure made me feel better!) :p

Serenity
10-20-2007, 10:47 PM
I've left my budgies for almost two weeks before.

*dodges wads of paper*

I don't recommend it. They have a fairly large cage, I had tons and tons and tons of food and water in there, water as high up as possible so it didn't get too dirty. It was a complete last resort. Both my boyfriend and I had to go across the country to visit my family for Christmas and we had absolutely no one here to take care of them.

They still had food and water left over when we got back. Once again, I don't recommend it; I'm not proud of myself for doing it, either. Having them in a dirty cage for so long was very risky, a ton of diseases could've sprouted from it.

However, I just wanted to post it to let you know that they would probably be okay for only 50 hours.

Celyste
10-20-2007, 11:50 PM
I've left mine alone for 5 days both this summer and last. Like Serenity, they have a large cage, were given tons of food and water had their radio on, and while it wasn't the best thing I could have done - I don't think it was the worst either. Their cage does have a bottom grate, which means that it wasn't really nasty when I came back either, though they were very happy to see me and get some out time when i returned.

absolutangel
10-21-2007, 07:59 AM
I am lucky in that I've never had to leave mine for more than about 8 hours as I've got plenty of family who'll have little visitors if we're away. If you really have to leave them you could perhaps put a radio on a timer switch so they have company of a sort during the day without disturbing them at night.

I'd be worried about the water being stale if you left the same supply for too long. Doubt it'd do any harm but it wouldn't taste too good.

Nika
10-22-2007, 01:25 AM
This is a very interesting topics as I was thinking what I would do if we had to leave for a few days.
May I ask what kind of seed dishes you use to make sure your budgies have plenty of food?
It just seems impossible to me, since I give them two bowls of seeds/pellets/other goodies every day and at night those bowls are full of seed hulls. But we have 5 budgies.

BubusMommy
10-22-2007, 01:39 AM
Hi Nika,

I'm crazy about my budgies and i think about them a lot when i go out. Well since I only have 2 budgies until tonight that is, as I just picked one new one up (i'll get into that later in another posting)...but basically I have 2 of everything.....one main food tray, 2 hanging food trays with mirror, 2 water bottles (one on each side of their cage), as well as multiple toys, a swing,....several wood perches so they can move around easily...i also have a small bath tub with a mirror at the bottom of their cage if they get hot or want to wash up...........yet my main concern is that they will be lonely and bored, though they have each other, they tend to fight a lot.....
As for the food dishes, they are just the ones that fit in the slot of their cage, that came with their cage in addition to these avian blue trays that i bought at petco/petsmart that you can hang higher up so that they dont poo in their food...
every weekend i got home for at least 1 night....sometimes i take them with me in a mini transport cage, but other times my schedule does not allow me that kind of flexibility...well in 2 weeks i'll be leaving for a few days....and i hope this will work out!
Everyone here loves their budgies and worries a lot ....and so do I....but if its just a few days they should be okay....but if you have 5 budgies, you probably want to make sure they have some extra food trays hanging in their cage... u know how much they eat, and if you have to go somewhere, you can determine and prepare for so many days....:)

Budgiekin, I've been wanting to set up a webcam too because i always wonder if they are okay...may I ask what kind of webcam/program do you use? :rolleyes:

BubusMommy
10-22-2007, 01:52 AM
I forgot to mention that not only do they have the food trays, but i have millets to keep them happy over the long weekend, as well as a "honey crunch" stick...which usually lasts them like 2-3 weeks to eat for the 2 of them because its a block and they have to work really hard to eat them....so that might be something you can add to their diet (If you haven't already that is..) :)

Nika
10-22-2007, 02:00 AM
BuBuChick, I forgot about the treat sticks for budgies.
Thanks for mentioning it.

Budgiekin
10-22-2007, 06:51 PM
Budgiekin, I've been wanting to set up a webcam too because i always wonder if they are okay...may I ask what kind of webcam/program do you use? :rolleyes:

I was using a videoconferencing software called Adobe Connect. This one is not free but I am sure there are free webcam streaming sites. Just make sure you read the terms of use as some of the sites do not permit the monitoring of pets to check on their well-being....

Birdmen
10-22-2007, 07:49 PM
Before Lily when I just had Birdmen, I left him alone from Friday Morning till Sunday afternoon when I had to go 8 hours South for my sisters college graduation. his cage wasn't as big then but I left music playing for him... but not so loud that it would not let him sleep at night. the bedroom door was shut tight and he can't get out of the cage on his own and he doesn't want to, either.

I got a couple of smaller food trey's from wal-mart so it didn't take up his room in the cage but i put both of those in there, as well as put a fresh millet spray for him, and a granola bar thing, plus his regular dish of water and food.

needless to say he was fine and he hadn't finished half the millet, or even touched the other two tray's of food.

I wouldn't leave him for more than this amount of time though. Would be risky, IMO. but 48-60 hours isn't really that bad, as I'm assuming they don't know how to break out of their cage, like I assume someone's did in a previous post...

terig
10-23-2007, 11:23 AM
I just went away for four days and left plenty of food and water, treats and millet seeds. My cage also has a grate so they do not get dirty. It is a really big cage and they are able to fly around in it and get some exercise. I think that four days would probably be my limit though. As for company, my budgies are not particularly tame so not sure if they really miss me! Have noticed though that they seem to get more active and noisy when someone is in the room!

Celyste
10-24-2007, 03:29 AM
This is a very interesting topics as I was thinking what I would do if we had to leave for a few days.
May I ask what kind of seed dishes you use to make sure your budgies have plenty of food?
It just seems impossible to me, since I give them two bowls of seeds/pellets/other goodies every day and at night those bowls are full of seed hulls. But we have 5 budgies.

I feed mainly pellets, Nika. so i don't need to worry about seed hulls taking over their main dishes. I make sure they each have 1tbsp of pellets per bird per day +4 Tbsps just in case (I've 4 birds). They get two silos of water (1 silo will last them 4 days if it has to do) plus a bird bath full, and then I fill another "bird bath" with seed and add a seed stick. Then I'll build up the top corner of their cage with fresh branches from outside.

When I get back, they still have tons of food water and treats left. happily, I've never had a problem doing it - though I do still worry and rush home asap,

Budgietom
10-24-2007, 04:24 AM
I will never leave my budgies home alone again. Next time we go on holidays my budgies are coming with me in a travel cage. If I need to travel by train then I will make sure a friend or relative takes care of them.

Nika
10-24-2007, 06:04 AM
Cyleste, what a fantastic idea to use bird bath as a seed dish when you are gone. I will remember that.

Nancy
10-24-2007, 12:02 PM
I once had to leave my budgies for 3 days 2 nights. I had a pet sitter all lined up and she canceled the morning we were leaving and I was in a real bind. We had to take the dog but there was no way we coul take the birds as well. I had an extra cage that had doors that matched their cage. I was able to connect the two to make one large cage that they couldn't get out of. In the new cage I put 3 large food dishes and 2 large water dishes. No perches or toys. That way I knew the water would stay clean. They still had their food and water in their own cage as well. I also hung a full strand of millet, (I ration that stuff normally) and off I went feeling bad. When I got home they were just fine. The water was clean and still plenty of food.

Dronak
11-04-2007, 04:52 PM
A few weeks ago, I left my bird alone for about 3 days when I had to go on a business trip. I made sure there was plenty of seed in his main food dish, pellets in a treat cup, water in his main water dish, and water in a vertical feeder. I made sure to change the paper at the bottom and move around some things in his cage to make it different before I left. He was OK. I got the impression that he was upset I left him alone that long, but he was fine, and in a few days he got over it. I guess he doesn't have a particularly long memory for things like that. :)

Nika
11-04-2007, 08:37 PM
A few weeks ago, I left my bird alone for about 3 days >>>>

Leaving your fid for a few days, when you have just one or maybe two, is much easier. It would be v. difficult for me to supply enough seeds and food for my 4 budgies.

Glad to hear your budgie was OK when you came back.

BubusMommy
11-05-2007, 08:02 PM
...i was thinking about everything my fellow talk budgie friends said..and i could not bare the thought of leaving my budgies home alone with nothing to do...soooo we drove to the airport in traffic and on the way there, we took a different route to drop off my babies at my parents house...though this was at night and it was dark and BuBU&Chik were so scared and kept acking in terror...but at least it was only a 1 hour drive for them in traffic....and since baby Miso is still in Quarantine mode...i left him with a close friend near my area....which we will pick him up today...
BuBU&Chik were good and my parents played lots of music for them and updated me on their status...but my male budgie is molting again (3rd time this year)! they are definately okay but molting again.........thanks for your help/advice again everyone! :) i'm still in search of the ultimate large cage to house all 3 budgies....