Your budgies favorite food? [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Your budgies favorite food?

Star
08-03-2007, 10:01 AM
Star's favorite food is apples. If you don't give them to her at least once each day she make angry budgie sounds. :p She has quite the love obsession

RPatrick
08-03-2007, 10:19 AM
My budgie loves white bread ! I only offer her whole wheat bread now though, since it is better for her.

Lemonade
08-03-2007, 01:35 PM
My budgies all like different things.
Cassy loves strawberries, Sylvester enjoys apples and Finn loves chickweed like crazy.
And all my birds love sprouted seeds. :)
My budgie loves white bread ! I only offer her whole wheat bread now though, since it is better for her.
Bread of any kind isn't good for birds because of the salt. Salt injures the kindneys so I wouldn't feed it at all. (Like any other of our food)

Babyluv12
08-03-2007, 07:08 PM
Umm..there alot..gets kind of hard to keep track of---they all LOVE and go nuts over parlsey so that's one for everyone ...other than that:

Baby: corn niblets or corn on the cob
Jazzy: carrots and lima beans
Maui: green beans
Stormy: sweet peas and corn
Sky: carrots and corn
Jamy: lima beans
Kiwi: green beans
Sugar: sweet peas
Limu: sweet peas and green beans

EDIT: as far as fruits their favorites are red apples, orange slices and mango.

swishmom98
08-03-2007, 10:14 PM
I can't get my budgies to eat anything other than their seeds and millet treats. I have tried parsley, apples,celery,broccoli, romaine lettuce leafs, Anyone have any ideas what I should try next? I really want my budgies to be healthy too. :budgie: :budgie:

RPatrick
08-03-2007, 10:20 PM
Thanks for the tip.

I have rarely given her bread, and will take that advice.

I've tried fruits and veggies. She'll take a taste and then turn away and run. I'm going to try some alfalfa sprouts next. Maybe she'll go for it, and since they are sprouts, I am thinking they should without a doubt be pesticide free. I rarely see organic stuff in the place I usually buy groceries.

Celyste
08-04-2007, 02:30 AM
Mine love red lettuce, basil, and corn (in any form *L*). But if you want to see them turn up their beaks, all I have to do is put a piece of broccoli in the cage. Yay for them being unique *L*

Tacey
08-04-2007, 05:24 AM
Dandelion leaves for both Sid and Codi, they go nuts if they dont get some every day!

buddiesdad
08-04-2007, 08:09 AM
Corn really seems to be their favorite although they now almost like brown rice as much. They like brocolli (stems only), egg food, peas, greenbeans (cut small).
Don't like carrots or any fruit...but I am still trying with those.

Piper
08-04-2007, 08:17 PM
Piper seems to love wildberry flavoured pellets and her millet. Im trying all different fruits/veg but she doesnt seem interested..but Im still going to put it in there as an option for her:)

kcasey_72
08-04-2007, 08:36 PM
Well so far, my birds like millet the best. They have tried the celery that I started puting in for them and I saw Ducky get brave and peck at the parsley. I am working on veggies. I had not thought of orange slices. I bought some apples the other day will try them tomorrow.

havecoolkids
08-04-2007, 10:16 PM
Jake and Sydney have now started eating a food (seed )dish of parsley, carrots, celery, celery leaves, apples, kiwi. Daily. plus pellets are offered all day and seeds in the evening. Which they both eat and Sydney usually falls asleep on the perch of the seed dish about 8:30 pm. they get the seeds after outside time.

Their favorites are : Sydney likes Kiwi most ( eats everything now) and parsley and celery. Jake likes carrots, celery, parsley. ( nibbles at everything now).

Budgiekin
08-05-2007, 07:49 PM
My budgies love flax seed bread...although sometimes I think they like to tear it apart more than actually eat it! :p

(As a side note, giving your budgies small amounts of whole grain breads is fine as long as the flour is not white flour; it should be only the whole grain kind. Also, with respect to a comment made about salt in the bread I wanted to point out that salt is a source of iodine which is necessary for thyroid health. Obviously you don't want to offer up salty foods to your budgies, but the small amount that is found in bread should not cause any harm...)

My budgies also love their broccoli. When they come out for playtime, I've caught them sneaking into each others' cages to eat the broccoli; I guess they think the other budgie's broccoli is better than the broccoli found in their own cage! :p

bugsbunny
08-05-2007, 08:25 PM
my babies love cheerios. they hold them in their beaks and toss them up to play catch. and of course they make a mess when they eat them but its fun to watch.:budgie: :budgie:

Noobbirdowner
08-05-2007, 09:09 PM
bannana flavored millet lol :-) havnt tried too many fruits or veggies because she doesnt seem to like them.

softie
08-05-2007, 11:17 PM
Grace's favorite food is actually spinach, although he doesn't get it very often. He chows it down faster than any other veggies or fruit.

Soula really likes her watercress, just like my Shiloh did.

BabycakesKristen
08-06-2007, 03:13 AM
Banana and Peaches go crazy for celery!! They especially like to chew on the leaves. Sometimes after munching on lots of celery, the celery smell will linger on them and it actually smells quite nice. :)

Aside from celery, millet is probably tied as their favorite food. Their millet intake has decreased though, since my boyfriend and I have been only giving them millet sprigs on occasions.

They have actually started eating less millet at a time so that it lasts for a lot longer than it used to when they would just scarf it all down in one sitting. I think they've learned that eating less millet means that they will be able to enjoy it longer and savor the moment a little bit more. :) Such smart budgies!!

colcol
08-06-2007, 10:33 AM
Star's favorite food is apples. If you don't give them to her at least once each day she make angry budgie sounds. :p She has quite the love obsession

mine have an obsession with millet-sprays, but i have recently learned that it has to be placed or clipped to the cage in the right place in order for them to take it...

tweet 52
08-06-2007, 01:01 PM
Lucky likes corn but loves kale and millet ....Tweety love kale & millet.:)
They fight each other when a cracker is coming to them.......they love to bit & thow it lol:D

BUUZBEE
08-06-2007, 04:13 PM
I can't get my budgies to eat anything other than their seeds and millet treats. I have tried parsley, apples,celery,broccoli, romaine lettuce leafs, Anyone have any ideas what I should try next? I really want my budgies to be healthy too. :budgie: :budgie:

dice it REALLY small, add some seeds to it

i start new birds off with corn kernals, thinly shreded lettuce and carrots and broccoli florets, in iddy biddy pieces.

as for their favorites...
some preffer apple, some corn, some broccoli, it depends on the bird.

Marsheliah
08-06-2007, 05:03 PM
MILLET!! Lol. But healthy foods, it's Apple. Budgies can devour one whole large slice. Each. Conure's fave is Carrots.

cute_coco
08-06-2007, 06:27 PM
chicken... Lol i gave it to her after the vet said they liked it

xxxIcarusxxx
08-06-2007, 06:36 PM
Icarus likes corn:budgie:

colcol
08-07-2007, 11:45 AM
chicken... Lol i gave it to her after the vet said they liked it

budgies will eat chicken, well bugger me!!!...

ronsig
08-07-2007, 01:30 PM
Schnappi goes crazy for potato chips. No, she is not getting any!! But she must have aquired the taste when she lived with her previous owner, a 10 year old boy.

When she hears a bag opened she comes right over to investigate. If the bag contains corn chips or other snacks she flies off disappointed.
If it is potato chips, she tries to get some. We don't eat chips in front of the bird any more. Maybe we should give up chips altogether:D

Sigrid :budgie: :budge: