Why is my parakeet breaking her eggs?? [Archive] - Talk Budgies Forums

: Why is my parakeet breaking her eggs??

Micah.Abigail
02-14-2013, 12:52 PM
I've had my female parakeet for 8 years (in that time she has never laid an egg) and my male for nearly 2. They just began mating and my female has laid two eggs. I put a nesting box in the cage before she began to lay and I have put nesting materials in the box and in the cage. My birds will not go in the box and she has laid both her eggs in the bottom corner of the cage. She sits on them, but she is constantly moving them. She has broken both of her eggs. I have gotten her special food and vitamins, and also a couple mineral blocks with calcium. She has been eating those a lot and seems to be fine, but is it usual for parakeets to break their eggs? I'm just not sure what to do. I left both the eggs in her cage because I didn't want to stress her. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

CaptainHowdy
02-14-2013, 02:30 PM
I've had my female parakeet for 8 years (in that time she has never laid an egg) and my male for nearly 2. They just began mating and my female has laid two eggs. I put a nesting box in the cage before she began to lay and I have put nesting materials in the box and in the cage. My birds will not go in the box and she has laid both her eggs in the bottom corner of the cage. She sits on them, but she is constantly moving them. She has broken both of her eggs. I have gotten her special food and vitamins, and also a couple mineral blocks with calcium. She has been eating those a lot and seems to be fine, but is it usual for parakeets to break their eggs? I'm just not sure what to do. I left both the eggs in her cage because I didn't want to stress her. Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

At 8 years old this bird is too old to be bred from, you run the risk of serious complications and a shortening of her life.

There are lots of reasons bird will break eggs, from lacking in vitamins and minerals, not being in correct condition, to not feeling safe enough to rear young.

However once an egg eater it's normally always an egg eater.
Remove the box, limit the day light hours and remove any broken eggs, change around the cage set out completely to bring her out of laying.

Micah.Abigail
02-15-2013, 06:59 PM
Thanks for your feedback