Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Taming and Bonding with Hedwig and Pigwidgeon

13K views 104 replies 7 participants last post by  ColdWinterDream 
#1 ·
So I posted yesterday on my two beautiful females, Hedwig and Pig. Things seem to be going well but I have several questions that I can't find answers to.

Am I moving too fast? I spend the recommended time of 15-20 mins around 4 times a day talking to them. They seem to enjoy it as they close their eyes and are calm. When I step back, they become playful and chatty. Since they were calm, I moved a hand to the outside of the cage. They move a little ways away but then settle in and close their eyes and Hedwig will perch on one foot a lot. I did read to not put my hand in until they are curious and investigate it, so that's what I plan to do.

Are my kids making things better or worse? They are very conscious of the birds and always speak gently to them and never try to scare them (my son accidentally did today when he was putting a movie up). My kids are 8, 6, and 2 and are very patient with them knowing that it's best to wait to get to touch them. However, when they are home and I do my talking sessions, they want to be there too. Should I allow them to join in or is it better to just let me do it? Should I allow them near the cage to talk to the birds or just have them pretend the birds aren't there? They want to be a help and I can't find anything on this topic.

How do I know if my pets are scaring them? As I've mentioned before, I have 2 dogs and a cat. The dogs pay them no mind except for the day we got them when they started chirping. Now they ignore them completely. The cat is a little more interested, though each day pays them less attention. I know to be on guard with them and I feel my 4 legged babies are doing well with them. The birds don't seem to mind as well. They just keep on doing what they were doing so I'm hoping that's a good sign.

These are the only questions I have right now which I'm sure more are to come. When we are not in a talking sessions, the birds play and sing almost constantly. Hedwig gave us a good laugh today. She went to jump on a toy and missed and seemed to blame Pig. They both squacked for a few seconds before preening each other. Boy do these birds have personality!

See less See more
#27 ·
As the 2 birds feel relaxed and at home with you, they will be more easy to train, or whatever you wish they learn. Your kids seem like they are doing well about the birds. The cat can be scary. Some are aggressive , some are not. I do not know your cat, so cannot say what he may do. May be a nice, peaceful cat. I like a couple of neighbors cats. Because they are friendly. Overall, all seems well at your place with the birds.

#28 ·
#29 · (Edited by Moderator)
Update on Hedwig and Pigwidgeon:

Recently, we had a major set back. I don't know if it's something I did, the kids did, or both. They wouldn't step up and were upset if I tried to go near them with my hand. I was getting them out of the cage to start bonding, but decided to back off. They still would take the treat out of my hand but would be leery. So I decided to work with it. I just left my hand with the treat in the cage, let them eat, and move it. Eventually, they would come and eat more. Well today, I finally got Pig to step back up and let her eat the treat. I would put her back and repeat. Eventually both caught on and when I'd put one down, the other was eager to jump on my finger for the treat. It was great progress!

Tried to edit the last post to included:

Hedwig still is biting. It seems somewhat random and somewhat not. It almost seems as aggression. She'll do it in any circumstance. She's getting a little softer on it so maybe I'm working it out. Any help with this matter would be appreciated.

#30 ·
I never found a way to get Hedwig to stop biting. I simply ignore it or take away the treat. It seems to be working. She still bites but it's a lot less severe. I give them both time out of the cage. They prefer the top of their cage so I leave toys up there. I've decided not to leave any treats in the cage. They are for me to feed them so they see my hand as a treat. Pig is still very timid. She'll eat any treat that's in my fingers and sometimes step up. I've worked more with Hedwig because of it. I've had her out to bond a couple of times but it does seem to stress her a little bit. Right now I've just been laying her on my stomach while I watch t.v. I bring millet and a toy and she'll eat the millet after a few minutes. She seems to bite more when she's scared, but sometimes it seems like she's preening me. Sometimes it hurts so I'm unsure. They both LOVE brussel sprouts and are willing to try new things. They are absolutely acclimated to their cage. Nothing phases them while They are in there. They sing, squack, and play all the time. They also don't make a noise when we are in bed so They are perfect. Hedwig does seem to be a little aggressive. Is that normal?

#31 ·
How old is Hedwig now?
She may be going through her puberty stage and becoming more hormonal. Many budgies become "bitey" during that stage.

Another thing to remember is that budgies really have few ways to communicate, If a budgie is scared, stressed or tired it may bite at those times. Part of bonding with your budgie(s) is learning to read their body language and take cues from their behavior.

It is a journey and a process so take it a day at a time and enjoy the little successes along the way! :D

#32 ·
They were 3 to 4 months when I got them so she's around 5 months. I try to enjoy them, but it's hard to be prepared for the step back. I know we must go through it and I need to push a little so they learn that I'm trustworthy everywhere. Should I keep getting her out everyday or move to every other day where one day is strictly in the cage and the next day is the uncomfortable time.

#36 ·
New question. How much is preening supposed to "hurt?" On a scale of 1-10 with 1 being a simple touch and 10 being drawing blood.

Hedwig has been biting at like a 3 or 4 while she is eating something from my hand. To me, she seems really happy and i can't think of another reason for the bite.

#38 ·
Thank you. The bites don't hurt but there is pressure so i was unsure and didn't want to allow a bad habit.

As far as sessions, this is my busy time of year. I drive a school bus and trips galore. So we've gone down to the 5 pm session. The babies have responded very well when I give them their treats and Hedwig's actual hard biting has been greatly reduced.

Also, I have a couple of weeks coming up that I'll be gone. They are separated by a month. The first one, my wife will be home. She won't actually touch them, but will take care of them and talk to them as she does now. The second week I'm a little concerned with. My mom wants to take them for me. She'll take good care of them I'm sure, but what directions will be best to give her and what should I expect from the birds when they come home?

#39 ·
It's inevitable that there will be some regression with regard to the bird's training while you are away.

I'd make a list of things for your Mom with regard to the bird's care.
Common Dangers
Safe Foods
Bird First Aid​

You can locate the information above in the forum Stickies and Budgie Articles.

I'd also provide her with the contact information and emergency phone number for your Avian Vet.

#40 ·
New toys!

So today we were at Pet Smart and got a new perch and swing! Both babies are in birdie heaven right now. They instantly jumped on both and started to enjoy them.

Also, my wife, who is not a bird fan, actually gave them millet and Pig let her stroke her chest. That's a big step for both. It's so awesome watching her fall in love with them. Though the rule of no birds out when she is home is still in effect. (I'm at home during the day without her so they will get plenty of out of cage time.

Also, I've noticed they don't respond too well when the kids are home. They are fine with whatever noise happens when the cage is shut, but I tend to scare them when I have to get on to a child while working with them. For this reason, sessions are limited to when it's just me at home. I know it's gonna take longer, but I feel it's for the best.

Any and all suggestions are more than welcome!

#43 ·
Perhaps during summer break you and your wife can make an agreement that for specific periods of time each day she and the children will be out of the house (or in a specific area of the house) so you can work one-on-one with the budgies.

I'm sure with some negotiations and compromise you'll be able to find a solution so you can continue training sessions with Hedwig and Pigwidgeon during that time frame.

#45 ·
Sorry for the posting again, but I must brag on my wife, Tyna.

She's not a bird fan, but agreed to have them knowing how much I wanted them. She was simply going to have nothing to do with them. She does have an irrational fear, more of the creep her out, from something that happened as a kid. So slowly, she starts talking to them and enjoying watching them, but wouldn't go up to the cage. She's been warming ever since. Mainly with Pig. She was just drawn to her from day 1. Well a couple of days ago, she decided she wanted to touch one of them. (She knew the no touching the back thing.) She goes up to them, not slowly, but in a non-threatening way, opens and the cage, and goes to pet Pig. And what does Pig do? She lets Tyna pet her belly! I'm astonished! Pig never lets me near her without millet.

My theory is their bond is more natural. When we get our birds, we are ready then to bond and love them. Our birds are not ready for that. With them, it's both aren't "ready" for more. Tyna said she never wanted Pig to step up, but then she did it. She's so good for Pig and I'm enjoying watching them progress. I don't want to push either of them and I'm sure eventually the cage rule will be gone.

She took this pic to show me that Pig let her.

#51 ·
That's a phrase that has me confused, "at her pace." How do I know what her pace is? They'll both eat millet out of my hand. Pig won't let me move her but will stay there. They don't seem to mind how long I'm there with my hand in their cage. Hedwig will let me move her around but gets stressed when I take her out. How do I know when she's ready?

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.