Talk Budgies Forums banner
Status
Not open for further replies.

Poop change

6K views 32 replies 9 participants last post by  FaeryBee 
#1 · (Edited)
My budgies are about 9-10 weeks old, their not showing any clear signs of illness but their poop has changed. It use to be black and white but the black has turned a dark green colour, and sometimes it looks slightly wetter than usual but I think that's only when they drink so that could be the cause. The change in colour is what really worries me.

I've told my mum and she's said that if anyone here thinks something may be wrong I can take them to the vet, I've only had one budgie before so we're still new to it all. Are they sick? What else could be the cause?

I feed them a high quality seed based diet, the petshop is reluctant to sell pellets because their superficial but I can get some if I need to, I do give them veg when I can and they love it.

See less See more
#28 ·
If a budgie is tearing up the paper, I'd personally not change to kitchen roll. Also, if the budgies are eating from the bottom of the cage, then sand is not recommended.

The suggestions made by Faerybee are best followed.
Personally i think and my vet told me so .. that you should not let them ever have str8 contact with the bottom of the cage no matter what you use and of course dont encourage tearing it ....

If you do then its wrong from the 1st place , and whatever you use little matter does it have ....

Furthermore surgical sand is used as a digestive extract in small amount in the vitamin dispencer , when such problems exists ..

HelloWorld

#30 ·
I wouldnt risk between morning and evening my budgie having a taste of a piece of " cake " .... or early in the morning .. since im not next to them 24/7 .. And i wouldnt consider it as the best i can do , to avoid it .. ( ex he drops a piece of veg on the poop he get down he eat it .. )

I did never say grit or regural sand which is just stones i said " surgical ".... the sand i mentioned is made from sea ostreals , which are also contained in many seed mixes and it has minerals and Ω3 oils ( it also helps in the breeding time for the hen to lay eggs and my vet used it back some years with oil extract to help a budgie lay an egg which was stuck .. and woala in 6 hours there it was we saved her .... a lot mistakes back then .. ) its a little bit expensive though .. but it absorbs smell , urine , poop etc and I wouldnt recommend it since it doesnt help indicate the birds poop everyday ..

I just mentioned my experience and position on this , a little bit ful analytic but i saw there were some misunderstandings ..

At least you got many alternatives other than what you are now using ,
Hope we really helped you Nicalou : )

HelloWorld

#31 ·
I changed the lining to white craft paper, A3 so it only takes 2 sheets and they fit smug in the bottom. Unfortunately my cage doesn't have a floor grid, my old cage has but it's too small to use in the big cage, I've been looking into getting or making one for a while but I can't find one that fits or the right materials.
I'll try and get a paper shredding toy to place further up the cage.

#32 ·
Improvment

Their appearing much healthier. Their poop is a colour and consistency I'm much happier with, and I've been giving them fresh veg daily.
They are going through a molt but I'm doing what I can to help them through it. I've noticed that some of Yurio's new wing feathers are a dirty white instead of the bright yellow they were before so I'm going to look further into that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
You have insufficient privileges to reply here.